Fish Tags

Rate this topic

ccb

18 hours ago, Fitzy said:

Yup, those loop tags are bad news.  I got one about 10-15 years ago, and the fish had a pretty bad infection all around the tag.

E6BD51E9-5CBE-4D09-AA3A-D9FE14B9E410.jpeg

I caught a small striper in the Thames River around 15 years ago with a tag like that in it. It was completely covered in sea weed and the fish was badly infected. I didn’t even know it was a legitimate tag, I thought someone just stuck a piece of yellow electrical wire through the fish. I cut it off and let the fish go. That type of tag is probably causing more harm than good. 

19 mins ago, z-man said:

I caught a small striper in the Thames River around 15 years ago with a tag like that in it. It was completely covered in sea weed and the fish was badly infected. I didn’t even know it was a legitimate tag, I thought someone just stuck a piece of yellow electrical wire through the fish. I cut it off and let the fish go. That type of tag is probably causing more harm than good. 

It was that tagging system that showed me it was not good for the fish tagged that I stopped tagging myself . I even called and told them that they need to look at another way that is less intrusive to the fish .

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal