ccb

Fish Tags

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Maybe it would be nice to have a thread on what tags are out there.  

To inform us so we know what to look for and how to have a better understanding of them 

When to leave them and when to take the tag ? 

19 mins ago, ccb said:

Maybe it would be nice to have a thread on what tags are out there.  

To inform us so we know what to look for and how to have a better understanding of them 

When to leave them and when to take the tag ? 

Good question. 

There used to be a bunch going back to the 80s. Everyone from the feds to surf clubs.

I personally have no clue what is still out there but I only ever saw one, almost 20 years ago, a federal one from the hatchery. 

I don't even think they still stock hatchery fish. 

There are a lot. A quick online search revealed that pink, red, yellow, orange, and green tags are being used by various entities to tag striped bass... there may even be others I have yet to encounter.

As you might expect, depending on the tag's color and location, you may or may not be expected to remove it. Some of these tags ask that the tag be left in place and the fish released (orange and red, in belly). If it's a pink tag, you can also leave in place.

Others, however, will fetch some coin if returned. A green, belly tag will yield $125. A yellow, belly tag can get up to $1000.

In either case, it's important to note that if the fish is released with the tag, the following information be communicated to the contact provided:

- The tag number

- Date caught.

- Location.

- Estimated size and/or weight.

I'm curious to learn how common these recaptures are. Anyone out there score a $1000 for a returned tag..?

Good thread ccb.

I tag for the American Littoral Society.  Here is a picture of the lock tag and needle I use. I tag primarily on Long Beach Island, New Jersey. Quite a few of my tagged  Striped Bass find there way up to Long Island, Conn., RI, MA and as far as Portland, Maine.  I have also tagged bass in the Cape Cod Canal and the Cape Cod Bay. There are also other clubs that tag and use a different styled tag.  There are some threads in the Main Forum on tagging.

Nice to see some interest.   

IMG_2904.jpg

It’s great to know this kind of info.  Most don’t.    It’s also a good idea to keep a pen and paper with you in your pocket, just Incase ?  So you can record the info. You never know?

Nordic 333 thanks for posting that info. It’s good to know about the different colors and also Dollar amounts. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I caught a tagged schoolie at 15.5" on a cape bay side beach on 13 Nov 2016. The tag was put in by the Hudson River Foundation earlier in the spring of that year in the Hudson River. I removed the tag to read it (realizing then I should have just clipped it at the black line) I filled out a form on their website, sent it in with the tag and they sent me a $10 check with a thank you note in Dec 2016.

HR9ADt6bvANBHYXHeG5-HEbGo8A81d2fbdJ0JY1U

HRFL3xQ6vDIv9BWlqPDGDjBrpyIWXY4KiLqNiMkS

Edited by ginclear

Back in the early 90s, Joe Karolides used to catch and tag fish for the Littoral Society.

I caught one of HIS tagged fish ( found out later) in the Danvers River.   He had tagged

this fish 2 months previously.................In the Danvers River !!!

I got a blue and white hat and a scroll with the fish's info for mailing in the tag.

The fish was released.....

Mine was late 90s, dorsal tag, all weeded up.

Even with the algae scraped off I couldn't read any markings. 

I clipped it off for the fish's sake. The entry was well healed but the weed trailing off it looked annoying. 

Can't remember how I figured out it was a federal tag, but I talked to them and they had me mail it to them. They said they had a way to read even worn tags.

Later they sent me a hat and a note that the fish was hatchery raised and released in the Choptank river at less than a foot long.

The fish was 28", caught and released in Casco Bay, Me.

Got some fish with that circle tag on right side pic. Those tags got so embedded into the fish when they had grown up it caused them to become deformed. It also took all you could do just to remove the tag out of the fish, and by the time you got the tag out it was unreadable. 

I still have many yellow tags as shown above, except they do not have the same securing holder[we had to put a know in them]  I have retrieved a few over my life time, but it was one i got in the canal a whole bunch of years ago that made me stop doing it. The tag came from a fish of size and who ever inserted the needle to attach the tag must have not cleaned it very good and the the whole area was inflamed and that along with a long line of depree hanging and growing off it  I was so emotional about what I saw from how the fish may well have been in some sort of pain or at least discomfort . I removed the tag and tried to clean up the wound as best I could and released it . I never tagged another fish since

I had a friend that would tag any where to 30 50 fish a day in the canal all summer long plus remove a scale for a scientific project that he volunteered to do .

The information gleaned from the tags is helpful, but does it really help the fish that has one inserted into them long term, if they never get caught to have the tag removed?

9 hours ago, sandbars said:

Got some fish with that circle tag on right side pic. Those tags got so embedded into the fish when they had grown up it caused them to become deformed. It also took all you could do just to remove the tag out of the fish, and by the time you got the tag out it was unreadable. 

Yup, those loop tags are bad news.  I got one about 10-15 years ago, and the fish had a pretty bad infection all around the tag.

E6BD51E9-5CBE-4D09-AA3A-D9FE14B9E410.jpeg

17 hours ago, Fitzy said:

Yup, those loop tags are bad news.  I got one about 10-15 years ago, and the fish had a pretty bad infection all around the tag.

That's an American Littoral Society tag. Anyone can buy them and tag your own fish.  I

Just now, bob_G said:

That's an American Littoral Society tag. Anyone can buy them and tag your own fish.  I've caught several with those tags, and they've all been infected, and the fish looked skinny.

That whole Littoral Society deal seems dubious to me. I think their primary concern is selling memberships and tags, and not necessarily the data gained.

18 hours ago, Fitzy said:

Proof is in the pudding.

Loop tags suck