young

Caught a tagged fish...

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, Plug and teaser said:

The location of the tag on the fish surprised me.

I thought they put them up by the Dorsal Fin....:why:

I think the Maryland program uses gut-punch tags, as they last longer in the fish than the dorsal loop tags used by ALS. The loop tags almost always fall out by year 2, IIRC, while the stomach tags have lasted up to 9yrs when I looked at the records.

My 40" MD tagged fish was 26months out, and grew about 4" since tagging. So 2"/yr for a 10-12yr old fish

20190106_120933.jpg.2f34424ff5aa6002d460c09462fe31b3.jpg

> All the ALS fish Ive found (w/yellow loop tags) were tagged within 1 year

18 years ago, I caught a yellow tagged ALS fish in the Canal.  

Info received back from ALS stated the fish was 43" when released 11/14/99 in Delaware Bay, NJ.

When I recaptured it on 8/03/00, the fish still measured 43".

My ALS "prize" for recapturing the fish was a "goldfish" patch denoting the recapture of a tagged fish.  

On 1/5/2019 at 10:28 AM, nordic333 said:

A loss of more than 4lb in just over a year is definitely puzzling. Is it possible the animal was gravid when initially captured and was carrying that much extra weight? Even if it were, an almost 20% decrease seems excessive. How accurate is this Boga?

At any rate, how did you go about removing the tag?

Maybe the fish didn't particularly like having a tag stuck in it's belly...:p

If you can read the tag, take down the information and contact the attached phone number. You can leave the tag on the fish. 

If the tag is covered by algae growth and you are not able to read it, then remove the tag. 

It took awhile for me to clean the tag at home before I can read it. 

Around 2010 I got a fish in cape Ann that had been tagged off NC something like 6 years prior. If I recall right it had grown from 37” to 45” in 6 years (?) I got the hat 

I got two schoolies in the same year with the yellow als tags around that same timeframe but haven’t seen another tag since 

A friend of mine once caught a tagged fish, but the tag was covered in algae and looked to him like some sort of parasite, he took a pic and let it go.