young

Caught a tagged fish...

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I caught a tagged fish 6/30/2018 around 3:30am at the ditch. I took a quick pic, length (38”) measurement and weight (20lb) and removed the tag. Revived and released the health fish. 

A day later I called in and reported the catch to attached phone number on the tag. 

D0B76159-4B49-468E-8FE6-6AA667E5BC01.jpeg

16D55A65-1888-4B6B-968E-5C4900789727.jpeg

Edited by young

The cool part of this is seeing the weight of the fish when it was first tagged and release at around 24lb and comparing to 20lb when I weight it on my boga. The second cool information is it only grew in length by only 0.75 inch. 

Edited by young

I was informed that the other section of the tagged embedded in the fish also contain the tag number. So if someone else catches the same fish and harvest it, that person can call in again and report the catch If they find the embedded  tag.

its cool that the tag can report the fish twice. 

Edited by young

I'm no math or striper growth genius, but the fish actually lost 4 lbs in a little over a year? You'd think it would be the opposite. :headscratch: An eye opener for me.

A loss of more than 4lb in just over a year is definitely puzzling. Is it possible the animal was gravid when initially captured and was carrying that much extra weight? Even if it were, an almost 20% decrease seems excessive. How accurate is this Boga?

At any rate, how did you go about removing the tag?

Edited by nordic333
clarity

I ponder about the weight lost but there could be simple explination. It might have been egg bearing or heavy feeding prior to tag and release. As you can see from my picture of the tagged fish, the stomach doesn’t appear to be stuffed. 

Edited by young

4 mins ago, nordic333 said:

A loss of over 4lb in over a year is definitely puzzling. Is it possible the animal was gravid when initially captured and was carrying that much extra weight? Even if it were, an almost 20% decrease seems excessive. How accurate is this Boga?

At any rate, how did you go about removing the tag?

My boga is not certified, I pick up a 20lb dumbbell and read 20lb. 

I have to use my player to pull it off. The tag is scorred so once you pull quickly with a plier it will snap of at the scorred section. 

The tagged was covered with algae growth and I was not able to pull it off with my wet hands. 

14 mins ago, young said:

I ponder about the weight lost but there could be simple explination. It might have been egg bearing or heavy feeding prior to tag and release. As you can see from my picture of the tagged fish, the stomach doesn’t appear to be stuffed. 

Yes, it definitely does appear lean. That might explain why it ended up laying at your feet, ha ha.

I'm just surprised to learn they vary so much.

I've always wanted to land a tagged striper... good stuff!

I never got a tag yet?   

Maybe the first scale was off?   

I think I would have left the tag in him and just copied the tag number .  

SoI could continued recording more info ?   

Didnt mean to second guess you? 

Just thinking out loud ? 

Look at the algae growth on the picture. I was not able to see any information until I clean the tag. So no way to leave the tag on the fish on my situation. 

I got a tagged striper back in '09 and got the hat & paperwork also, for a brief moment your part of the marine biology dept.! :D Certain color tags are worth cash!!

I guess the difference between a gravid and non-gravid fish could account for some of the weight difference.

20 years ago I caught two tagged fish in the same year at Plum Island (Mass), and none since that I can remember. Those were ALS fish with the yellow tags. ALS = American Littoral Society based in Highlands, NJ.