Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve in Mass

Durgin Park

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

First the Hilltop, then Jacob Wirth, now this....

:(

Durgin Park, Hilltop, Jacob Wirth??????????????????????

1 hour ago, Vt coast said:

didn't know about jacob wirth, that place was classic

They had a small fire a few months back, and even before that the owner was thinking of selling. After the fire, I guess that was the final straw. Currently. the building/business is up for sale or lease.

26 mins ago, Steve in Mass said:

They had a small fire a few months back, and even before that the owner was thinking of selling. After the fire, I guess that was the final straw. Currently. the building/business is up for sale or lease.

So, I take it that these places were resturaunts……………...

Jake Wirth's was the first place to get good draft beer in the city(excepting Guiness). Near the Combat Zone, German fare, and a way cool place.

Durgin Park has been iffy for the last few years(We have a large Christmas lunch there every year(30 years) in a private room and have got to know the staff who say it was on the edge for a while.

Wirth’s was an awesome spot for food, beer, and a sense of history. I enjoyed sitting in those old chairs on top of that well worn floor thinking about what life was like in the early 1900’s. 

They made a really great gravy out of brown stock and ginger snap cookies. Plus the beer selection was as good as it gets. Few places like that still thrive. Doyle’s in JP, Pleasant Cafe in Roslindale, George’s Coney Island in Worcester, Halfway Cafe in Dedham to name a few. 

7 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

First the Hilltop, then Jacob Wirth, now this....

:(

Lock-Ober's also had a good run.  135+ years.    

4 hours ago, heyblue34 said:

Wirth’s was an awesome spot for food, beer, and a sense of history. I enjoyed sitting in those old chairs on top of that well worn floor thinking about what life was like in the early 1900’s. 

They made a really great gravy out of brown stock and ginger snap cookies. Plus the beer selection was as good as it gets. Few places like that still thrive. Doyle’s in JP, Pleasant Cafe in Roslindale, George’s Coney Island in Worcester, Halfway Cafe in Dedham to name a few. 

Coney Island is more popular than ever since the Phantom Gourmet featured them. 

I wonder how much longer the No Name will be open?

There are a number of places that have had real problems after a visit from Phantom Gourmet. I spoke to one owner that said he wished they had never visited his place. He said his place had gone crazy since there visit. Just couldn't handle the crowds. 

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

Coney Island is more popular than ever since the Phantom Gourmet featured them. 

I wonder how much longer the No Name will be open?

Amazing how lips and unknown animal parts can be so popular. Great spot for two up and a cold beer. Another time warp place!

The No Name is a great spot but I am not sure how they are doing. Property values along the waterfront are through the roof and I believe that the No Name is one of those places that you have to know about.

14 hours ago, heyblue34 said:

The No Name is a great spot

So many folks rave about this place, and I think it sucks. Great if you like overcooked seafood that tastes like it was deep fried in rancid oil (or for that matter, everything including the sides there taste like that), but for me, sorry you can have it.

Just now, Steve in Mass said:

So many folks rave about this place, and I think it sucks. Great if you like overcooked seafood that tastes like it was deep fried in rancid oil (or for that matter, everything including the sides there taste like that), but for me, sorry you can have it.

Haven’t been there in years! 

Woods in Plymouth, DeMello’s, Hortas, or Stackhouse Club in New Bedford for good fried fish.