Kent I

Akios mag on an Abu Elite?

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I'd like to Mag my Abu Elite, but don't care for any of the monomags I've seen, and don't think much of the one I installed on one of my other Abus. Has anyone out there installed the Akios mag system on an Abu? How big a job was it?

I looked at the Akios schematic. It's likely possible, but there are some potential pit falls. First, the hole in the left side plate where the mag knob goes looks like it was pressed in, not drilled, leaving some flashing on the inside that forms part of the connection for the single mag plate. Now, if you were to drill the hole, without leaving the flashing, you could still probably epoxy the mag plate to the side plate while bolting the mag plate in position with a screw until the epoxy set permanently in place.

The second issue is alignment of the hole for mag knob and plate. Once again, you could probably align the hole by temporarily using a latex based adhesive to hold the mag plate to the side plate, in working position, and then use a ball peen hammer  and center punch the diameter of the hole to mark the center.  Then remove the mag plate, clean off the latex adhesive with acetone, and drill your pilot hole and then your hole to working diameter on a press.

20 hours ago, Kent I said:

I'd like to Mag my Abu Elite, but don't care for any of the monomags I've seen, and don't think much of the one I installed on one of my other Abus. Has anyone out there installed the Akios mag system on an Abu? How big a job was it?

If it can be done, is the point. You are asking about using pieces from two different reel manufacturers, the parts might not line up. The mag unit itself will have to utilize two of the three holes accommodating the side plate screws. If that works than the rest is gravy. I rember trying something like this years ago and the issue was the holes one the sideplate and the mag unit not lining up.:howdy:

Thanks for the replies. I pulled up the 656ctm schematic and blew it up to a size where I could see what's going on. It appears that the base plate is located by the side plate aligning pin and inside of the side plate itself, so there wouldn't be an alignment problem, since I would be drilling the knob hole wherever it needs to be. The mechanism looks well thought out, and I like the adjustability that multiple small magnets allows (my Mag Elite system works just fine, even if the slider is butt ugly). Anyway, it seem like worth a try if the parts are available and not too expensive. I'll try it on a junk plate first to make sure everything fits before I go live.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Like I stated, if you can get the mag unit in place then the rest is gravy. Let us know how you make out.:howdy:

And do the drilling from the inside out, if you can. Use the screw hole as your guide.

Edited by jimmy z

You will probably find the bolt/screw/pin patterns of the side plates are different between the ABU and other round bait casters. This could require some modifications.

" I'll try it on a junk plate first"  Good idea.

Obtaining the parts turned out to be no problem. I contacted Joe Moore (jmonemorecast@aol.com) and he had the assembly in next day's mail. At $40 it was a little pricey, but had the features I want, multiple magnets, compact knob, and a nice little clicker. 

As for fit, on a lefty reel, it fits perfectly on the top two pins, and the middle post is unsupported. This would be easy to fix by either glueing a small spacer into the side of the frame, or by drilling the frame and adding one of the studs that are used with CT conversion bars. Presumably, the left hand assembly would fit a right hand frame in the same way and I would order one except that the reel I'm converting has a clicker that would occupy the same space. 

On a right hand frame, the assembly fits the locator pin and one of the screw studs but not the other, but it's close enough that I can remove part of the post and elongate the hole to fit over the stud. Should work just fine.

ill post again when installation is complete.

IMG_2012.JPG

IMG_2014.JPG

IMG_2015.JPG

Test install complete. I installed the I modified assembly on the upper posts of a beater 5001 to test my method for locating the knob hole. I was a little careless drilling the hole to size and had to file it a little, but the method basically worked and and the results look ok and function well. For installations on non-clicker reels, the upper post location is definitely the way to go.

IMG_2028.JPG

Thanks. Now I'm on to stage 2, locating the assembly in the lower quadrant of the side plate to clear the clicker mechanism. To do this, I had to modify the mounting plate a little, as one of the holes did not match all three studs. To accommodate the errant stud, I removed the portion of the boss that interfered with the case stud, leaving as much as I could for support, and elongated the hole as necessary. Tomorrow I will transfer the hole positions and drill the knob hole. After I have the assembly mounted to the new side plate, I plan to mount the side plate on a 6500 Mag Elite to see how the Akios Mag compares with the Mag Elite system. 

IMG_2031.JPG

Finished the installation for the lower mount. Since the plate I was using was a bearing in side plate type, I decided to mount it on a frankenreel I've been working on (5500c side plates, 6500 live spindle spool on a 6500 CT Sports Rocket frame, full ceramics in the side plates. I'd previously mounted a monomag on this reel, and the Akios setup at first blush appears to be more effective and more adjustable. Testing to follow when the snow melts.

IMG_2069.JPG

3 hours ago, Kent I said:

...6500 live spindle spool on a 6500 CT Sports Rocket frame, full ceramics in the side plates.

IMG_2069.JPG

Kent,

What bearings have you fitted in the spool?

ZA

There are no bearings in the spool. The spool is rigidly attached to the spindle and the bearings are in the side plates; they are full ceramics. I may eventually add an ultracast spool, so that both the spindle and the spool have bearings, but I've done that before and didn't see a noticeable difference in casting distance.