BrianBM

Mark Your Calendar, Striper Day

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

38 mins ago, BrianBM said:

I live within two miles of Ward Melville, I'll attend both.  This year I will skip Freeport, though.  

Is Freeport worth it, generally? I feel like it always sneaks up on me and I miss it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends on what you can find. Sometimes great bargains on used, excess tackle, etc.  You'll find smaller fleamarket type seller that's usually not found in bigger shows. One guy had about 6 table worth of extra stuff that his wife want him to get rid off, ranging from off shore stuff to light fresh water tackle.  I fell obligated to "helped" out this guy lighten his load. lol made it out like a bandit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hobobob said:

Depends on what you can find. Sometimes great bargains on used, excess tackle, etc.  You'll find smaller fleamarket type seller that's usually not found in bigger shows. One guy had about 6 table worth of extra stuff that his wife want him to get rid off, ranging from off shore stuff to light fresh water tackle.  I fell obligated to "helped" out this guy lighten his load. lol made it out like a bandit. 

Yeah, well, but.

 

For the last ten years of her life, I drove the late Lorry Mangan, angler extraordinaire and holder of seven line test records, to the show. Since she passed, the place hasn't had the same appeal. Of tackle, I have a-plenty. I'll do two shows at Ward Melville, the one at St. Joseph's in Patchogue ... enuff!

 

When the urge to piss away money comes over me, Al Goldberg's phone is always at hand. Ksong will be at both the Ward Melville shows, and Century is at least one of them.  Talk about an

"occassion of sin"  ......  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am holding crystal ball and

Somehow I see in your future

"Waiting for Al's rod"

We all know that

Crystal ball do not lie

:howdy:  :howdy:   :howdy:   :howdy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone know if they are doing like they did last year at Hofstra and not giving the goodie bags out until later in the day to help control the crowds?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a heads up, the parking is horrendous.  It will be completely full and packed.  Expect to spend a good 30 mins. cruising for a spot.  Best bet is to park off campus and walk over.  What they really need to do is set up a satellite parking area with a bus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 mins ago, fatbikerjoe said:

Just a heads up, the parking is horrendous.  It will be completely full and packed.  Expect to spend a good 30 mins. cruising for a spot.  Best bet is to park off campus and walk over.  What they really need to do is set up a satellite parking area with a bus.

This is the first year Striper day has moved to Ward Mellville high school. Parking for the other fishing show there which is a much bigger show hasn't been a problem for the last 6 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, reelfire said:

This is the first year Striper day has moved to Ward Mellville high school. Parking for the other fishing show there which is a much bigger show hasn't been a problem for the last 6 years.

We'll agree to disagree.  Parking has always been a problem, unless you are getting there at 5 am.  I unfortunately can't get to the show until 10 or 11 and the lot is always jammed with multiple cars cruising up and down to fight for a spot, people parked on the grass, median, etc.  Get there early or park off campus if you are getting there late, or spend 30-40 mins looking for a spot.  You have been warned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's not even enough parking at the Fisherman mag show at the Hilton in Sept.  Fishing shows are big business on LI.  I think the new venue is great but the parking is the biggest problem at all of them.  There is no perfect venue, maybe Farmingdale or Suffolk Community, or Stony Brook?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very much looking forward to striper day. This year we are going to try a new format. I will be taking Montauk related questions form the audience and from casters that wrote in for questions.. SCJ is giving me 1.5 hours this year instead of the 1.00 hour. We will talk about just about everything and anything..  I never seem to get it all in! Looking forward to seeing everyone! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2019 at 7:54 PM, Popasilov said:

I am holding crystal ball and

Somehow I see in your future

"Waiting for Al's rod"

We all know that

Crystal ball do not lie

:howdy:  :howdy:   :howdy:   :howdy:

:p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.