Sudsy

Tricks and tweaks

Rate this topic

114 posts in this topic

If using tube and worm you can apply the Smelly jelly to a felt strip  or piece of cloth and stick it up inside the tube .  

It lasts longer . 

When airing up at the pump, count one thousand one...as you fill and figure out how many seconds it takes to get from 15# to 32# or whatever you do.

Once you know you can get darn close time after time. Works for me.

If you need to get to a pesky wind knot and you're at a location that doesn't let you walk your line out you can always use your cooler or anything like that such as a milk carton crate to take off the line and still not have it tangled up

Edited by Captain Ahab

On 1/6/2019 at 1:07 PM, BillZ said:

Here's one;

I've done the Montauk weekend trips for years, sleeping in the day .... fishing at night, etc....

My last truck was an 06 explorer.
One thing that was always nice was to have total darkness & privacy in the truck when sleeping or anytime for that matter, especially in the lower lot.....

I installed sticky back Velcro tabs at the window frames, put the matching Tab on a fabricated curtain cut to size for each of the back windows made from thick black contractors bags.

Easy on easy off .....

Along with an adjustable shower rod & curtain between the cockpit & the back seat you have total darkness and complete privacy.

@ Bill Z.... Car camper here as well.  

Old Xterra...used long hat pins to tack curtains right into felt roof.  

Evolved to a metal cable I strung curtains my girlfriend made all around.

BUT... then I saw this....  Cheapest, easiest, best car camping curtain solution I'm aware of....   Reflectix...$15 bucks @ Home Depot.

Advantages:

• Cut to fit each window perfectly.  No gaps.
  • Complete block of peeping eyes and/or sunlight/streetlights
  • No overhanging curtain taking up space, getting tugged down, etc.
  • Added insulation value for cold nights.
  • Cheap.  Can't break it.  Doesn't get wet or dirty like curtains.

If you Google, you'll see some people talking about tape or something to hold it up.  Not needed.  Cut each piece just slightly larger  (1/4" inch maybe) than the window and the Reflectix scrunches/wedges in and holds itself in place.

Tip...Use a Sharpee to label each piece so you know which window it is.  D1, D2, D3, P1, P2...P3....B, F, etc.  (Driver side window #1, #2... Passenger side window 1, 2, 3... Back Window, Front Window....)  Then draw an arrow facing forward, and an arrow facing up on each piece.  Roll them all up together and put a bungee cord around it.  

I can come in from fishing cold, wet, in the dark...and with the pieces labeled I can have it up in a couple of minutes.

Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 3.00.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-15 at 9.40.57 AM.png

5 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

So, 

Any tricks to knowing how much line is removed from a reel for replacement? Do those cheap line counters work? 

Cheap line counter doesn't work well with high tension spool and slipping can occur with braid. Are you using the exact same line as replacement? It has to be exact or you'll end up with a different line level or worst, with more line left over than you wanted. The only sure way to fill the spool 100% is the old fashion way with a couple of spare reel. Dump, fill, add backing then flip.

Just now, hobobob said:

Cheap line counter doesn't work well with high tension spool and slipping can occur with braid. Are you using the exact same line as replacement? It has to be exact or you'll end up with a different line level or worst, with more line left over than you wanted. The only sure way to fill the spool 100% is the old fashion way with a couple of spare reel. Dump, fill, add backing then flip.

Yes I've done that small plastic wire spools on a threaded rod with nuts and washers on a cordless drill.

I was looking to remove a bunch of line and know what to add back on.

Saw this one in a 2012 post by Dennis in the thread on US Made VS's currently bumped.  

I write weights on my stuff with Sharpees.  

Noted DZ's method... Notching/melting some marks in a SS Needle so he can know the load/weight in the dark with no need to turn on a light.  Slick.

Screen Shot 2019-01-15 at 12.32.07 PM.png

On 1/4/2019 at 8:59 PM, charles s said:

Ok so this one is done with a micron loop on the head hook ... once I tie it up I zap a gap the sluggo head to the micron tied on the head hook and it’s solid 

058E9204-34B5-469F-8138-70FB1BA16EE4.jpeg

BA2148E2-93CE-4A2C-9041-096992CF23E9.jpeg

95742359-7362-48CF-995C-F8400BA22969.jpeg

853D39ED-7EA1-4413-AC62-145C7A338F41.jpeg

Through wire the sluggo using dacron. Nice!