Sudsy

Tricks and tweaks

Rate this topic

114 posts in this topic

I used those sheet metal screw in my ice fishing boots before. The only grip is the little ridge on the outside and they wear out fast and does not provide nearly as much traction of the kold kutter.

1 hour ago, hobobob said:

I used those sheet metal screw in my ice fishing boots before. The only grip is the little ridge on the outside and they wear out fast and does not provide nearly as much traction of the kold kutter.

True - but they give more than enough traction and they're dirt cheap. It doesn't hurt as much when you go back to the truck missing a few.

Depending on the quality of the sole of the (cheap arse) shoe/boot you buy, you lose a lot of screws in a season

Posted (edited) · Report post

32 mins ago, Sudsy said:

True - but they give more than enough traction and they're dirt cheap. It doesn't hurt as much when you go back to the truck missing a few.

Depending on the quality of the sole of the (cheap arse) shoe/boot you buy, you lose a lot of screws in a season

The kold kutter don't exactly cost a kings ransom. $23 for a bag of 250.  Roughly 10c a pop. way better with minimal in crease in cost in my opinion. It's not fishing related so no stupid tax added on.

Edited by Sudsy
link

10 cents each - way less than I thought they were

I agree, I'd use them too !

(Edited the Amazon link - no .com links allowed,

except through certain sponsors/members where the site gets a cut - and I've no idea how that works)

Edited by Sudsy

Old surf bag insert trick

Tape two Plano boxes together with duct tape then slice off the top and drill a small hole in the bottom of each slot for drainage

I've had this bag with these boxes since the mid 1980's, only replaced the tape once

20170307_092635_resized.jpg.b2d4c802acfb11254864f318eb4c464b.jpg

Everyone probably knows this one but just in case......

Don't spend $100 for a pair of braid cutting pliers that are worthless for anything else

Get a good pair of sidecutting pliers, something that can cut a hook in case of emergency (Sargent Bernard nickel coated on Ebay is good choice and very inexpensive)

5c37bfdbdcf0d_Sargentsnickleandsteel.jpg.bc1b0a615cc0c3e0da41f727f9a0ba8e.jpg

And put a pair of Fiskar 5 inch children's scissors in every bag, nothing cuts braid better

5c37bed79cb93_Fiskar5inchChildrensBluntSafetyScissors.jpg.5276819fbf17dd822633eb3553648e3e.jpg

Have a rod that just barely fits in the car or truck, just close enough that the rod tip is constantly tapping on the windshield and driving you nuts ?

I was on my way out to Montauk with about two hours of driving still to go and the tapping of the rod tip was killing me. Stopped at a CVS for snacks and saw this :idea:

These were $2.99 and there's a size for every rod tip in the pack

TubularFoamToeBandages.jpg.e426910f7272596a0edeec14fa810296.jpg

Edited by Sudsy

2 hours ago, Sudsy said:

Everyone probably knows this one but just in case......

Don't spend $100 for a pair of braid cutting pliers that are worthless for anything else

Get a good pair of sidecutting pliers, something that can cut a hook in case of emergency (Sargent Bernard nickel coated on Ebay is good choice and very inexpensive)

5c37bfdbdcf0d_Sargentsnickleandsteel.jpg.bc1b0a615cc0c3e0da41f727f9a0ba8e.jpg

And put a pair of Fiskar 5 inch children's scissors in every bag, nothing cuts braid better

5c37bed79cb93_Fiskar5inchChildrensBluntSafetyScissors.jpg.5276819fbf17dd822633eb3553648e3e.jpg

Love the fiskars, I hang em on my lanyard most of the time. 

On 1/6/2019 at 4:16 PM, wok167 said:

images.jpeg.b9fc829873ab4f85ef5fb3f4a166eada.jpeg

I keep a 2 gallon version of one of these in my beach/fishing vehicle. Filled with freshwater and nested in a 3  1/2 gallon bucket. Serves as a hand washing station. Pull the sprayer bottle out for portable gear/cutting board/cooler rinsing, without soaking my stuff in salt.

I have used this trick as well but never thought about keeping it in a bucket. That adds a whole other level of usefulness and prevents the sprayer from tipping as easily. 

2 hours ago, drumfish213 said:

I have used this trick as well but never thought about keeping it in a bucket. That adds a whole other level of usefulness and prevents the sprayer from tipping as easily. 

i keep mine in a milk crate along with plano boxes