Sudsy

Tricks and tweaks

Rate this topic

114 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, Sudsy said:

For rods without hook hangers

Zip tie and a split ring

 

I do something similar but use one of these, tied just below the reel on the reel seat threads.  I even use them on reels that don't have those hook hangers to the hook barb isn't scratching my rod when moving around.

Cable-tie-with-mounting-hole.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 mins ago, wok167 said:

I am not skilled enough to make metal spikes, and too cheap to purchase. I use good old PVC. 

 

A small hole saw, six inch section of hacksaw blade, some sandpaper, and 10 minutes can create a spinning rod "lock" on any PVC rod holder. 

 

Hole points towards surf. To put rod in, simply twist reel stem 30 degrees, twist to the left to remove. Rod comes out easily when you want it , even with hard charging southbound rays.

 

20190107_115858.jpg.6fde6663f2d152826dd8d5aee18a2999.jpg

 

That's a good idea !

 

EdJRahway, who used to post here often, lost a high end rod n reel to a PVC spike

Big fish hit, the spike bounced hard and the rod just flew out, never to be seen again

I stopped using PVC at all after that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

I think the problem with pvc is it's too heavy to carry. Especially on a long walk.  If you could see the amount of pvc pipe rod holder that's abandoned by their owner ever spring.  I made a couple, used it only ONCE. Spend some bucks on aluminum instead. Well worth the money spend vs the slave labor to carry that heavy load back and forth on long walks.

 

Those cheap white pvc that's sold in tackle shops are even worst.  Can't go in sand properly so people start to hammer them with whatever they could find.  Usually met with a 4 letter word after the 1st strike.  More garbage on the beach.

Edited by hobobob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bouncing is just what I want to protect against. That spike is 6' long. I dont spike bait rods with anything less than 5 foot. I dig them in 24-36". Loosen drag.

 

I won't jinx myself and say I'll never lose a rod.  But it will would probably break in half before pulling out of these spikes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 mins ago, hobobob said:

I think the problem with pvc is it's too heavy to carry. Especially on a long walk.  If you could see the amount of pvc pipe rod holder that's abandoned by their owner ever spring.  I made a couple, used it only ONCE. Spend some bucks on aluminum instead. Well worth the money spend vs the slave labor to carry that heavy load back and forth on long walks.

Agreed. 

 

If I am walking long distance, I rarely fish more than one rod. I will carry  an 18" thin wall, Wally mart special, super light weight, but forget about spiking a bait rod.  I actually found it on the beach.  Its only use is to keep my rod out of the sand when my line isnt in the water.

 

 

Edited by wok167

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hobobob said:

I hope that's a mistake. Circle hook in front and octopus in the back. Do you roll the dice on setting the hook or no? No wonder your wife out fishes you. :laugh:

Yes it’s a mistake lol I grabbed it from a box of stuff for the pick .. and I don’t know she’s getting really good, but not that good YET:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On warmish fall nights when I would walk to the rip on SH, I would hang my waders around my neck (crotch over back of neck; boots hanging over front of shoulders) and tie a length of rope around my waist at the boot foot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sudsy said:

For the summertime when the last thing you want is to wear your waders which have the studs on the boots - but you want to fish the rocks without getting killed

 

Cheap pair of thick soled hiking type shoes from the discount store, these cost me $5, and a few packs of hex head screws

 

The screws fall out occasionally but are so cheap you just keep extras in the truck

 

JettyShoes.jpg.c7923d9e2490c6b29561968cc8f3c9f1.jpg

What kind of shoes are those?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 mins ago, Jettyhound said:

On warmish fall nights when I would walk to the rip on SH, I would hang my waders around my neck (crotch over back of neck; boots hanging over front of shoulders) and tie a length of rope around my waist at the boot foot.

And you could tell how crowded it was at the Rip by the number of sneakers around the sign

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, wok167 said:

 

 

 

Beautiful work!! Spike looks like the fence cap is part of the design.

You could add a lanyard. To the hole on the fence cap and hang it over your shoulder in the way to the beach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 mins ago, ccb said:

You could add a lanyard. To the hole on the fence cap and hang it over your shoulder in the way to the beach

I do

Bungee works perfect

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Sudsy said:

And you could tell how crowded it was at the Rip by the number of sneakers around the sign

I have to admit that most nights I was alone -except for maybe Cousins and that mailman who drove the early 1970's Fury III.  LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 4:07 PM, cashews121 said:

What kind of shoes are those?

I did the same thing. Bought a new pair of Columbia hiking boots ($20 size 13 o the clearence rack). Worked like a charm for years! One drawback was that they would get a little heavy on the walk back to the truck.

061.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

23 mins ago, Nite_Bite_00 said:

I did the same thing. Bought a new pair of Columbia hiking boots ($20 size 13 o the clearence rack). Worked like a charm for years! One drawback was that they would get a little heavy on the walk back to the truck.

061.jpg

Regular sheet metal screw wear out too fast, buy a big bag of kold kutter traction screw instead, way better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.