Sudsy

Tricks and tweaks

Rate this topic

195 posts in this topic

On 2/6/2019 at 6:45 AM, Captain Ahab said:

Does this work for the entire wind knot or just the last little bit.  

Depends on the knot and how bound up it is. It may not help with low test rats nests but does a good job with the smaller knots and gets you back on fish. It keeps the braid fiber from binding on itself and allows it to slip through. 

On 2/8/2019 at 9:29 AM, SlackTideBri said:

Depends on the knot and how bound up it is. It may not help with low test rats nests but does a good job with the smaller knots and gets you back on fish. It keeps the braid fiber from binding on itself and allows it to slip through. 

I don't go fishing anymore without a tube of chapstick on me and works awesome for every wind not I ever had

On 1/6/2019 at 11:08 AM, Sudsy said:

To take garbage mono off

Drill a hole in a one liter soda bottle cap and put a nut n bolt on it

Screw the soda bottle back onto the cap, chuck the whole thing onto a drill and spin the line off onto the bottle

Toss the bottle and the line into the recycling

Keep the cap to use again

I use the paper tube from a roll of paper towel or toilet paper. It fits snuggly over the chuck of my drill. Tape the end of the braid to the tube and spin away. Throw the whole lot out when you are done. 

For carrying terminal tackle bits (clips, swivels, split rings, etc.) while I'm on the water I slip them onto a safety pin or paper clip, then put them into a small plastic bag.  Takes up almost no room at all.  I get the bags at my local Ace Hardware for free.  (Just ask at the front counter for some bags for small parts.)

To carry a snag hook without having bare points to catch on everything, or the leader getting tangled up, I coil the leader and use a wire twist tie to hold the coils together and it all goes into a prescription bottle.  (If you don't have the right size, just ask your pharmacist.  Mine gives them to me for free.)

4 hours ago, Southcoastphil said:

For carrying terminal tackle bits (clips, swivels, split rings, etc.) while I'm on the water I slip them onto a safety pin or paper clip, then put them into a small plastic bag.  Takes up almost no room at all.  I get the bags at my local Ace Hardware for free.  (Just ask at the front counter for some bags for small parts.)

I use the little 2"x3" zip lock bags you can get at AC Moore

2 hours ago, Sudsy said:

I use the little 2"x3" zip lock bags you can get at AC Moore

Same idea, Sudsy.  The Ace bags come in several small sizes, ranging from about 2x3 to 4x4.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm waiting for the day I get pulled over for something and the cop see's the little crack baggies that I use for pre-tied leaders all over the van

I'm gettin searched for sure

Edited by Sudsy

5 hours ago, Sudsy said:

I'm waiting for the day I get pulled over for something and the cop see's the little crack baggies that I use for pre-tied leaders all over the van

I'm gettin searched for sure

I have had that thought too. I try to re use them but sometimes they are too beat up. I put them in a little neoprene bag that hangs in my trunk (I use it for tag end clippings, old hooks etc.) and toss later so that they aren't all over the car. 

40 mins ago, BillZ said:

Keep your shad hooks buried in the tail to avoid getting the hooks stuck in your bag....

20191108_204841.jpg.d80de777d3c1a1cbea979d08aff2fc39.jpg

Dang, that's a good one!

Thanks.

14 hours ago, BillZ said:

Keep your shad hooks buried in the tail to avoid getting the hooks stuck in your bag....

20191108_204841.jpg.d80de777d3c1a1cbea979d08aff2fc39.jpg

Wow! We think alike. I just started doing that this week prepping for a clandestine surf session hopefully next week. 

Coiled leaders can be a PITA.  I pull them through a folded piece of rubber to straighten 'em.  A 1" x 2" piece from an old inner tube works perfectly, and I keep it with my leaders in the small plastic leader bag.