Sudsy

Tricks and tweaks

Rate this topic

114 posts in this topic

How about a thread to put all the little tricks, hacks, tweaks and other ideas to make our sport a little easier

 

Here's one:

Only thing that takes chunked bunker stank off your hands !!

Always in the vehicle !

Dries out just toss a 1/4 cup of water in it (or less depending on how many towels are left) and it's as good as new again

 

5c2ff267904a8_Cloroxwipes.jpg.d45e264166c29e3248f2b9df87f3790e.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Started using small Sluggos and Finesse Fish as teasers a few years ago.

Did the small ball of thread and crazy glue thing to keep them in place on the hook, but found that only worked for a little bit. Any tail nipping snappers or overly hard casts would pull it down around the bend.

 

Do this on jig heads as well

 

To keep the rubber from sliding down, tie on a barb

I bend the barbs with a needle nose pliers out of fine 320 welding wire, the stuff we use to make fresh water size lures

Any cheap polyester sewing thread works for this. Seal it with fly tying cement, Sally Hanson Hard as Nails, Nail polish...............

Be sure to file the tips of the wire smooth, they can be pretty sharp after being cut. I've been sliced pretty good trying to hold the jig with a thrashing fish on the hook.

 

 

Soft plastic teaser hook 1.jpg

Soft plastic teaser hook 2.jpg

Soft plastic teaser hook 3.jpg

Soft plastic teaser hook 4.jpg

Soft plastic teaser hook 5.jpg

Soft plastic teaser hook 6.jpg

Soft plastic teaser hook 7.jpg

Soft plastic teaser hook 8.jpg

Edited by Sudsy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, CharlieK said:

I use that when I leave a bar at night and head home to the wife.  I didn"t know it worked for bunker stink too.

It actually washes that old person smell off ?

More powerful than I thought 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 mins ago, Sudsy said:

Started using small Sluggos and Finesse Fish as teasers a few years ago.

Did the small ball of thread and crazy glue thing to keep them in place on the hook, but found that only worked for a little bit. Any tail nipping snappers or overly hard casts would pull it down around the bend.

 

Do this on jig heads as well

 

To keep the rubber from sliding down, tie on a barb

I bend the barbs with a needle nose pliers out of fine 320 welding wire, the stuff we use to make fresh water size lures

Any cheap polyester sewing thread works for this. Seal it with fly tying cement, Sally Hanson Hard as Nails, Nail polish...............

Be sure to file the tips of the wire smooth, they can be pretty sharp after being cut. I've been sliced pretty good trying to hold the jig with a thrashing fish on the hook.

 

 

Soft plastic teaser hook 1.jpg

Soft plastic teaser hook 2.jpg

Soft plastic teaser hook 3.jpg

Soft plastic teaser hook 4.jpg

Soft plastic teaser hook 5.jpg

Soft plastic teaser hook 6.jpg

Soft plastic teaser hook 7.jpg

Soft plastic teaser hook 8.jpg

I do something similar with my double hook rigged sluggo’s but instead of a barb I tie in a loop of mono on the head hook to secure the Dacron on the tail hook to the shank of the head hook to strengthen the connection and keep it from sliding ... also when I was a kid I got my hands on some really old sand worm hooks that were longshank thread wrapped and varnished to the leader ...I was told the theory was to thread a whole worm or 2 right up the leader ...they worked pretty well as I remember ... not sure people fish sand worms much anymore though 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 mins ago, charles s said:

I do something similar with my double hook rigged sluggo’s but instead of a barb I tie in a loop of mono on the head hook to secure the Dacron on the tail hook to the shank of the head hook to strengthen the connection and keep it from sliding

I'm having problems picturing this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 mins ago, Sudsy said:

I'm having problems picturing this

Ok so this one is done with a micron loop on the head hook ... once I tie it up I zap a gap the sluggo head to the micron tied on the head hook and it’s solid 

058E9204-34B5-469F-8138-70FB1BA16EE4.jpeg

BA2148E2-93CE-4A2C-9041-096992CF23E9.jpeg

95742359-7362-48CF-995C-F8400BA22969.jpeg

853D39ED-7EA1-4413-AC62-145C7A338F41.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

If it smell like fish give it a Kiss. if it smells like cologne, leave it alone.

 

Words to live by...

Edited by Deep Hole

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can tie a PR knot without a bobbin...ounce and a half sinker extend arms and spin...takes some practice but works good...wuoldn't use it on anything over 30lb braid and 50lb leader though unless you have long arms.

 

A 5 $ fly tying bobbin works just as good with some lead wrapped on the bobbin......or just the bobbin itself when tying it on light lines...which is easier than the fg knot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To take garbage mono off

Drill a hole in a one liter soda bottle cap and put a nut n bolt on it

Screw the soda bottle back onto the cap, chuck the whole thing onto a drill and spin the line off onto the bottle

Toss the bottle and the line into the recycling

Keep the cap to use again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

 

On 1/4/2019 at 7:05 PM, Sudsy said:

Started using small Sluggos and Finesse Fish as teasers a few years ago.

Did the small ball of thread and crazy glue thing to keep them in place on the hook, but found that only worked for a little bit. Any tail nipping snappers or overly hard casts would pull it down around the bend.

 

Soft plastic teaser hook 7.jpg

Soft plastic teaser hook 8.jpg

 

 

 

Been using the same teasers for years...... i use a flippin hook instead, no glue,  etc.

 

works like a charm...... 

 

31C8ucplrIL._SX425_.jpg.f34214ebc2b24c8cbb6b0a5cb8617b32.jpg

20190106_113330.jpg.2af863da03c81f2131129c3211640e9e.jpg

Edited by BillZ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 mins ago, Sudsy said:

To take garbage mono off

Drill a hole in a one liter soda bottle cap and put a nut n bolt on it

Screw the soda bottle back onto the cap, chuck the whole thing onto a drill and spin the line off onto the bottle

Toss the bottle and the line into the recycling

Keep the cap to use again

Really that is a great idea...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.