Tricks and tweaks

Rate this topic

Sudsy

How about a thread to put all the little tricks, hacks, tweaks and other ideas to make our sport a little easier

Here's one:

Only thing that takes chunked bunker stank off your hands !!

Always in the vehicle !

Dries out just toss a 1/4 cup of water in it (or less depending on how many towels are left) and it's as good as new again

5c2ff267904a8_Cloroxwipes.jpg.d45e264166c29e3248f2b9df87f3790e.jpg

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

3 mins ago, CharlieK said:

I use that when I leave a bar at night and head home to the wife.  I didn"t know it worked for bunker stink too.

It actually washes that old person smell off ?

More powerful than I thought 

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

6 mins ago, Sudsy said:

Started using small Sluggos and Finesse Fish as teasers a few years ago.

Did the small ball of thread and crazy glue thing to keep them in place on the hook, but found that only worked for a little bit. Any tail nipping snappers or overly hard casts would pull it down around the bend.

Do this on jig heads as well

To keep the rubber from sliding down, tie on a barb

I bend the barbs with a needle nose pliers out of fine 320 welding wire, the stuff we use to make fresh water size lures

Any cheap polyester sewing thread works for this. Seal it with fly tying cement, Sally Hanson Hard as Nails, Nail polish...............

Be sure to file the tips of the wire smooth, they can be pretty sharp after being cut. I've been sliced pretty good trying to hold the jig with a thrashing fish on the hook.

Soft plastic teaser hook 1.jpg

Soft plastic teaser hook 2.jpg

Soft plastic teaser hook 3.jpg

Soft plastic teaser hook 4.jpg

Soft plastic teaser hook 5.jpg

Soft plastic teaser hook 6.jpg

Soft plastic teaser hook 7.jpg

Soft plastic teaser hook 8.jpg

I do something similar with my double hook rigged sluggo’s but instead of a barb I tie in a loop of mono on the head hook to secure the Dacron on the tail hook to the shank of the head hook to strengthen the connection and keep it from sliding ... also when I was a kid I got my hands on some really old sand worm hooks that were longshank thread wrapped and varnished to the leader ...I was told the theory was to thread a whole worm or 2 right up the leader ...they worked pretty well as I remember ... not sure people fish sand worms much anymore though 

51 mins ago, charles s said:

I do something similar with my double hook rigged sluggo’s but instead of a barb I tie in a loop of mono on the head hook to secure the Dacron on the tail hook to the shank of the head hook to strengthen the connection and keep it from sliding

I'm having problems picturing this

You can tie a PR knot without a bobbin...ounce and a half sinker extend arms and spin...takes some practice but works good...wuoldn't use it on anything over 30lb braid and 50lb leader though unless you have long arms.

A 5 $ fly tying bobbin works just as good with some lead wrapped on the bobbin......or just the bobbin itself when tying it on light lines...which is easier than the fg knot.

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

To take garbage mono off

Drill a hole in a one liter soda bottle cap and put a nut n bolt on it

Screw the soda bottle back onto the cap, chuck the whole thing onto a drill and spin the line off onto the bottle

Toss the bottle and the line into the recycling

Keep the cap to use again

On 1/4/2019 at 7:05 PM, Sudsy said:

Started using small Sluggos and Finesse Fish as teasers a few years ago.

Did the small ball of thread and crazy glue thing to keep them in place on the hook, but found that only worked for a little bit. Any tail nipping snappers or overly hard casts would pull it down around the bend.

Soft plastic teaser hook 7.jpg

Soft plastic teaser hook 8.jpg

Been using the same teasers for years...... i use a flippin hook instead, no glue,  etc.

works like a charm...... 

31C8ucplrIL._SX425_.jpg.f34214ebc2b24c8cbb6b0a5cb8617b32.jpg

20190106_113330.jpg.2af863da03c81f2131129c3211640e9e.jpg

Edited by BillZ

22 mins ago, Sudsy said:

To take garbage mono off

Drill a hole in a one liter soda bottle cap and put a nut n bolt on it

Screw the soda bottle back onto the cap, chuck the whole thing onto a drill and spin the line off onto the bottle

Toss the bottle and the line into the recycling

Keep the cap to use again

Really that is a great idea...