Deep Hole

Bombers

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I know that Bombers used to be popular and caught many Stripers. For some reason they don't seem to be as popular as they used to be. Any reasons why.What is the thinking on the longer 17A Bombers???

I'm sitting here loading some long ones with 28 copper BB's.

Thanks.

Bobmers.jpg.68e7345239f4d48c684c08ff3a0eca07.jpg

Edited by Deep Hole

First I would say that you find a supply of #8 or 9 lead shot to load your Bomber. You will make a smaller hole and also get more of a rattle when working the plug that you load. As far as its popularity it will always remain a good swimming plug along the beaches and even the ditch .When you load them try to use the same amount in like two or three the same then use more or less in another three. Mark each one so that  you can verify what is the best weight for you to cast and still work.

I do not know if any one has welcomed you here, so I will :howdy: 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I tested them in the kitchen sink. I had seen read somewhere to have them floating tail down like 40/45 degrees. I can't beleive how much noise these BB's make. Wish we could get out there tonight to test them on some real fish.

Angler #1 thanks for you information and kind words. Looking forward to meeting you at the first Ditch Breakfast or casting event.

Happy new year to you.

Edited by Deep Hole

Great plugs I don’t load them , the sp minnow’s the popular plug now because they cast farther but I like the bomber’s swim better. I didn’t like the long cast bomber I’m sure they all work ...... the loaded bomber how does it cast vs the sb minnow? Does it swim better than the sp ? 

I don't really know how well the Loaded Bomber casts compaired to the SP Minnow. We'll have to test them out and see compair. It felt like they casted about the same to me.

3 hours ago, Deep Hole said:

I don't really know how well the Loaded Bomber casts compaired to the SP Minnow. We'll have to test them out and see compair. It felt like they casted about the same to me.

We can test them  at the next casting event.... :idea:

Lol we all suck at casting so please dont feel because we been doing this for years that we are any better ! We are not . Ive been casting 300’ give or take 20’ no matter what. No matter how much i try . But most fish are a short cast away

Seems like it always comes back to casting and how far we can throw it. The other side is you don't need to throw a mile. I guess we do waht we can do. Shows you how much dead time people have at this time of year. A few more weeks and football is over then there is a real dark period of time. Sorry to get off subject.

On 1/6/2019 at 2:02 PM, stripercrazy said:

I use the bombers on the beach the sp in the canal ( just because the distance keeps it in the strike zone longer)

We find that one can load both of these plugs should you need to. On the SP I take the rear hook off and increase the body hook one size for maxim distance. I also load them as well , but not as heavy. When the current picks up and it is full speed in the ditch you may well get better distance and also a better action from the plug. I find that the rod you use to make the cast is prime in obtaining the best distance and doing the casting from the side, rather then casting over your head gets the best distance, once you learn how to come up from the side into the free air . Also for best action while retrieving is to actually have the rod tip in the water as you reel it up . Many times you will get a strike just as you lift the plug out of the water to begin another cast. This is something I would strongly recommend when retrieving the sp or Bomber in the canal.  When you have the right retrieve speed going the rod tip should be sensitive enough to feel the plug vibrating as you retrieve it

My decision to stop using Bombers was that the tail hook gets hung up in the gills quite often. While replacing the tail hook with a flag is not out of the question, I still found I carried fewer and fewer until there were none in my bag.