Fishhead7

Eagles qb decision this off-season

Rate this topic

226 posts in this topic

50 mins ago, Bob fishhead Sproul said:

You could be right, but Foles won't be an unrestricted free agent until 2022, they don't have to extend Wentz until 2020 (or is it 2021?) and this season isn't over yet ;)

Heard today on the radio he has 2 years left on his rookie deal after this year... so they really don't need to do anything this offseason...

3 pages?

Not sure if it has changed or not but the Eagles informed Foles weeks ago he wasnt coming back next season.  Chances are his agent has already started discussing his options with other teams.

From my understanding today from what I heard on the radio and it wasnt the first I heard it this week, is that as soon as wentz is ok to play he is starting.  Now whether or not its next week we will have to wait and see.

Also even if the Eagles pick up the 20 million Foles has a 2 million buy out to become a free agent he can exercise 

Not sure they will  franchise tag him either

3 mins ago, DerrickT said:

3 pages?

Not sure if it has changed or not but the Eagles informed Foles weeks ago he wasnt coming back next season.  Chances are his agent has already started discussing his options with other teams.

From my understanding today from what I heard on the radio and it wasnt the first I heard it this week, is that as soon as wentz is ok to play he is starting.  Now whether or not its next week we will have to wait and see.

...and you're just now breaking this story? Because you clearly are the only person that has this insider information...

37 mins ago, DerrickT said:

3 pages?

What??? Guess the problem is solved.

This is Wentz's team going forward and I think only a Foles trip to Atlanta in February even warrants a serious discussion otherwise.   I suppose it's possible that Foles has leveled up and can continue with the upside of his bipolar career.  I'm having a hard time thinking of other examples.  Lots of guys have flash in pan seasons.... but has anyone had an up-and-down 6-7 years like Foles before suddenly becoming elite in their late 20s?   

Can't argue with Foles moxie.  I've loved the guy since the day Chris Baker absolutely blind-side decked him, and he dusted himself off and finished the game-winning TD drive.   It's rare that he hasn't been clutch when needed at the end of games, even if the ST and DEF couldn't hold his lead (looking at you, 2013 vs. the Saints eagles).  

All that said, I still think if you draw a venn diagram of Foles and Wentz's talent and potential, Foles circle is completely contained in Wentz's.   Whether or not Wentz realizes that potential remains to be seen.   

2 hours ago, DerrickT said:

Also even if the Eagles pick up the 20 million Foles has a 2 million buy out to become a free agent he can exercise 

Not sure they will  franchise tag him either

if they franchaise him he would be more than 20 million, at least 24 million

3 hours ago, Bob fishhead Sproul said:

You could be right, but Foles won't be an unrestricted free agent until 2022, they don't have to extend Wentz until 2020 (or is it 2021?) and this season isn't over yet ;)

Foles can walk after this season, mutual option with the Eagles holding all the cards. If the Eagles decide to exercise that option, which they won’t, He’s due $20m which will be guaranteed if he signs the deal. 

Wentz will need a new contract after next year. No QB goes into their last year of a contract unprotected. 

1 hour ago, fishfood said:

This is Wentz's team going forward and I think only a Foles trip to Atlanta in February even warrants a serious discussion otherwise.   I suppose it's possible that Foles has leveled up and can continue with the upside of his bipolar career.  I'm having a hard time thinking of other examples.  Lots of guys have flash in pan seasons.... but has anyone had an up-and-down 6-7 years like Foles before suddenly becoming elite in their late 20s?   

Can't argue with Foles moxie.  I've loved the guy since the day Chris Baker absolutely blind-side decked him, and he dusted himself off and finished the game-winning TD drive.   It's rare that he hasn't been clutch when needed at the end of games, even if the ST and DEF couldn't hold his lead (looking at you, 2013 vs. the Saints eagles).  

All that said, I still think if you draw a venn diagram of Foles and Wentz's talent and potential, Foles circle is completely contained in Wentz's.   Whether or not Wentz realizes that potential remains to be seen.   

The 1 qb that had a similar ride. Kurt Warner?

5 hours ago, Finster said:

...and you're just now breaking this story? Because you clearly are the only person that has this insider information...

It broke weeks ago.  Try google

And if I remember correctly it was Derrick Gunn who reported it after one of the games saying the Eagles told Foles before that game they wouldnt be picking up his contract after the season.

Edited by DerrickT

6 hours ago, Markushook said:

Foles can walk after this season, mutual option with the Eagles holding all the cards. If the Eagles decide to exercise that option, which they won’t, He’s due $20m which will be guaranteed if he signs the deal. 

Wentz will need a new contract after next year. No QB goes into their last year of a contract unprotected. 

Foles holds the cards. He can opt out even if the Eagles exercise the option.

He just has to pay back 2 mil in signing bonus money. Only way Eagles have control is by franchising him....which would be foolish.

11 hours ago, yosco said:

The 1 qb that had a similar ride. Kurt Warner?

Warner was the closest I could come up with.  But his career was more not being given a chance in the NFL until later;  he was pretty good from day 1 once he got a shot.   It seems like usually the NFL weeds out the wannabes really quickly, and if you're not a stud by year 3 or 4 you'll probably never be.   Rare that someone would become a journeyman and almost be out of the league before finally playing at a high level.  

But, 27-2, 7 TD game, etc....maybe he always was that guy, and just lost his way for a few years in crap opportunities.  Fascinating to watch it all play out.