fishfinder401

nucanoe pedal drive

12 posts in this topic

hey, does anyone here have any experience with the nucanoe pedal drive unit? its a completely different setup that everything else out there, and ive never seen it in person, so im curious how it, and some of their kayak models would work in saltwater( wouldn't surf launch of course)

Just now, The Riddler said:

Buy it and review it here.

if i end up buying it i definitely will review it here, just dont have much in a kayak budget at the moment, so cant really buy something before i have a general idea it wont die fast in the salt haha, the reason i even noticed it is i was looking at the frontier 10 for pond hopping, and realized i could throw the drive on it later, so it got me checking out their larger models, specifically the pursuit as an alternative to the predator pdl that i was planning on getting this spring(fingers crossed)

2 hours ago, SG1 said:

I have an original NC and love it for specific purposes. This is an interesting upgrade. 

Frontier-12-H2ProDrive-2-800x468.jpg

interesting, what model do you have, and what do you use it for?

1 hour ago, fishfinder401 said:

interesting, what model do you have, and what do you use it for?

I have the 2010 Nucanoe 12. It’s a barge and not something you want to paddle all day  or in heavy winds. I use it in the summer for fluking in the bay, poling along the flats, clamming and crabbing. The  square stern is great for hooking up a trolling motor.  No special brackets  or steering mechanism needed. With an extended tiller handle I can run the motor while standing and sight fishing. 

5 mins ago, SG1 said:

I have the 2010 Nucanoe 12. It’s a barge and not something you want to paddle all day  or in heavy winds. I use it in the summer for fluking in the bay, poling along the flats, clamming and crabbing. The  square stern is great for hooking up a trolling motor.  No special brackets  or steering mechanism needed. With an extended tiller handle I can run the motor while standing and sight fishing. 

how would it do with standing? i was looking at the classic 10 for small lakes, ponds etc, looks light enough to carry and would fit well in my bed

4 hours ago, fishfinder401 said:

how would it do with standing? i was looking at the classic 10 for small lakes, ponds etc, looks light enough to carry and would fit well in my bed

Not sure about the 10. I’m 6’ 4” & 230lb. I can stand in the 12 comfortably in light winds and low chop.  

On 1/4/2019 at 5:17 PM, fishfinder401 said:

Not to get off topic, but I bought a Flint last year. It’s super lightweight, handles choppy water well, paddles like a dream, tracks straight as an arrow, and I can easily stand up in it all day, even in some sporty water. Great boat. I too am thinking about buying the pedal drive for it. 

I have the NuCanoe Frontier 12 with a bow mounted Minikota 55lbs trolling motor with I Pilot which I mostly use for saltwater fishing in CT. I’ve been eyeing the pedal drive for a while and it looks like they are coming out with the second generation pedal drive in the next few months. It’s call the Pivot Drive which has some smart upgrades to the older model which makes it more user friendly. The paddle work fine in calmer condition out front and in the big river but in moon tides and heavy winds having a pedal drive would be nice.