anystripe

Car topping Hobie Outback

84 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, kevbo1756 said:

I load mine hull up, I put the loader assist piece in upside down and do one side at a time. 

So you are flipping the kayak upside down on the ground? Good points re the rod holder covers/cords, I'll need a solution for those. 

11 mins ago, buddha162 said:

So you are flipping the kayak upside down on the ground? Good points re the rod holder covers/cords, I'll need a solution for those. 

Yes, when I load the kayak, I start with the kayak hull up on the ground, I still use the gray load assist piece (but I guess opposite of how you normally would use it) so it doesn't slide when I'm loading it. I also put a small blanket/towel up on my crossbars so it protects my car / kayak when I slide it up on the bars.  One more piece of advice is to put the front tie down through the handle prior to loading it on your racks, I'm not that tall so I would have to climb on the car in order to put it through if I don't do it before I load it. 

On 6/20/2020 at 10:58 PM, NewAtIt said:

It’s super easy with my truck to load and unload.  I put the tail gate down and flip the hard tonneau cover up - lift the bow up onto the tail gate and slide it right up onto the roof rack.

Can you elaborate on this method? Doesn't it scratch the bottom of the hull as it slides over the tailgate?

7 hours ago, kevbo1756 said:

I load mine hull up, I put the loader assist piece in upside down and do one side at a time. I also noticed that things like the rod holder covers, fish finder wires and cords for the guardian plate/rudder got caught as I tried to slide it into place. I have since figured out that I wrap the extra cables around the rails and/or stuff into the rubber mesh pocket so that it isn't such a big deal anymore. I think the biggest issue is the rod holder covers, I think they are pointless anyway. I think next time I take out my kayak I'm taking those off, especially because I keep my net in one of the back rod holders and if the cover covers up the rod holder its a pain to reach around and move it, then put the net back.

I thought I was the only one who found those rubber rod holder covers annoying. Good idea taking them off. They are not too bad a problem when loading from the side of the vehicle because you don’t have to slide the kayak that far but they still get in the way. I don’t use the extended side bar. I load my Outback the Neanderthal man way. I balance it on my head and lift it onto the roof rack from the side. I use a small step ladder to get it high enough because I have an SUV. The extended sidebar is a way better method. I will be looking into this! :idea:

Posted (edited) · Report post

9 hours ago, kevbo1756 said:

I load mine hull up, I put the loader assist piece in upside down and do one side at a time. I also noticed that things like the rod holder covers, fish finder wires and cords for the guardian plate/rudder got caught as I tried to slide it into place. I have since figured out that I wrap the extra cables around the rails and/or stuff into the rubber mesh pocket so that it isn't such a big deal anymore. I think the biggest issue is the rod holder covers, I think they are pointless anyway. I think next time I take out my kayak I'm taking those off, especially because I keep my net in one of the back rod holders and if the cover covers up the rod holder its a pain to reach around and move it, then put the net back.

He’s loading onto a pickup with ladder racks so i don’t think a side load assist would work.

Agreed the rod holder covers are useless to me. I personally don’t even like the rod holders as I’m constantly juggling / moving rods around, sometimes the rods in the holders are in the way of my cast so I think a crate mounted behind the seat with vertical rod holders will work out better for me.  

‘’Otherwise I’m pretty satisfied with the features and performance of my Outback. 

Edited by NewAtIt

2 hours ago, tj7501 said:

Can you elaborate on this method? Doesn't it scratch the bottom of the hull as it slides over the tailgate?

I have a small pick up with roof rack and cross bars.  

This is the only pic I have now as my truck is in my warehouse for a few days so i can’t take better pics of my loading procedure.  

‘’if you look at the attached  pic it may help. 

1 - tailgate is down with a piece of carpet on the edge - I put the bow of the yak on the edge of the tailgate.

2 - my truck has a hard tonneau cover that flips up in 3 sections. I flip the section up near the tail gate and place another piece of carpet there.  Between the tail gate and the tonneau cover it makes a perfect “ ramp “. 

3 - another piece of carpet goes on the roof and that completes the ramp and I slide it right onto the roof rack.  

‘’the whole procedure to load or unload literally only takes a few minutes.

* My tonneau cover is so sturdy I walk on it with no issues.  

** If I didn’t have the tonneau cover I’d simply place some type of bar / board at #2 in the photo across the bed of the truck to act a “ ramp “. 

If you still have questions I can take detailed pics for you of the whole process this weekend.  

1917BE0A-F41E-49C1-A667-69554E24F3E4.jpeg

Edited by NewAtIt

1 hour ago, NewAtIt said:

This is the only pic I have now as my truck is in my warehouse for a few days so i can’t take better pics of my loading procedure.  

1 - tailgate is down with a piece of carpet on the edge - I put the bow of the yak on the edge of the tailgate.

2 - my truck has a hard tonneau cover that flips up in 3 sections. I flip the section up near the tail gate and place another piece of carpet there.  Between the tail gate and the tonneau cover it makes a perfect “ ramp “. 

3 - another piece of carpet goes on the roof and that completes the ramp and I slide it right onto the roof rack.  

** If I didn’t have the tonneau cover I’d simply place some type of bar / board at #2 in the photo across the bed of the truck to act a “ ramp “. 

If you still have questions I can take detailed pics for you of the whole process this weekend.  

1917BE0A-F41E-49C1-A667-69554E24F3E4.jpeg

Genius!! :th:

2 hours ago, NewAtIt said:

Thanks - I will try this as I have a short bed Tacoma w/ a hard trifold tonneau cover as well. I’ve been using a hitch mount “goal post” bed extender vertically as a load assist device. It works well, but it’s too heavy/cumbersome to take in and out. I like to keep the kayak on the roof rack and all the gear inside the bed. 

I have Subaru Outback with slightly angled rear window. I use a roller loader on the back window, with a Yakima Hulley roller and saddle combination on the roof. The Outback slides up easily onto the roof once the nose of the kayak is placed on the roller loader. Roller loader picture is attached.

Hulley Roller.png

I built a Yakima Showboat 66 (of sort) out of 2" PCV to top my Hobie Compass.  It doesn't slide out but tucks under the roof rack cross bars on my 2018 Honda Pilot.....there are a number designs out there in Google land.  Mine works, it's just fairly awkward loading up that high....I am looking at buying a pickup truck.  Age and physical ability factor in to these decisions.  

Ok, got the kayak, 3/4" to spare on the garage clearance. Resting solid on the roof rack with bow/stern tie downs. Practiced loading/unloading today...I'm turning the kayak 90 degrees and pulling it down the side of the car. Since my crossbars are flush, thing almost slid down the front. Couldn't keep the painter's blanket in place unloading so it was sliding on the bare side rails. 

Got a pool noodle cutout for the side rail, will see if that adds enough friction to the process. 

20200627_130014.jpg

On 6/22/2020 at 9:06 AM, kevbo1756 said:

I load mine hull up, I put the loader assist piece in upside down and do one side at a time.

I tried the loader assist thing today and it wouldn't clamp in, and I didn't want to force it too hard. Is it supposed be that tight of a fit? 

9 hours ago, buddha162 said:

I tried the loader assist thing today and it wouldn't clamp in, and I didn't want to force it too hard. Is it supposed be that tight of a fit? 

Yeah it's pretty snug, it has to be because of the weight it holds I guess when up in the air, I did notice that if it doesn't go on remove and reset it maybe a little left or right or reset the angle of the opening on the handle and it should go on. Hard to explain the pressure I apply but I need 2 hands and some force when turning it into place. Ill be honest I dented it a bit one time though, torquing it in the wrong spot, but havent had any issues once I did it a few times. Taking it off is easy, just turn it and give it a quick bang opposite of the openings. 

16 hours ago, kevbo1756 said:

Yeah it's pretty snug, it has to be because of the weight it holds I guess when up in the air, I did notice that if it doesn't go on remove and reset it maybe a little left or right or reset the angle of the opening on the handle and it should go on. Hard to explain the pressure I apply but I need 2 hands and some force when turning it into place. Ill be honest I dented it a bit one time though, torquing it in the wrong spot, but havent had any issues once I did it a few times. Taking it off is easy, just turn it and give it a quick bang opposite of the openings. 

That's what I did today for the maiden voyage, I got it locked in upside down to slide the kayak to the ground from the side rail, but the piece was moving as if it might slip forward...I think I'll use the rubber mat from now on. 

IMO, I think people overthink cartopping. I have a dinky little crossover (Chevy trax) and I cartop my revo 16 3ish times a week without problems. Last summer I took my revo 16 and a vibe sea ghost both cartopped on my Chevy Trax from Boston to the northern part of Lake Michigan (1,000ish miles each way) without issue. All I have is a roof rack

I don't ever use bow/stern lines. I've done at least 8k miles with my revo cartopped this way, never had an issue. 

Edited by Hokepokey