anystripe

Car topping Hobie Outback

54 posts in this topic

On 3/11/2019 at 1:53 AM, Kingfisher_88 said:

The new outback is heavy, but still can be car-topped. Put a towel or bathmat on the back of your car, and slide it up before flipping it over. The rudder guard/back stand piece that comes with the kayak allows you to lift the front end up without scraping the back or damaging the rudder on the ground while you're loading up. 

Pardon my ignorance, but what part is that? Just want to make sure I didn’t forget any pieces when I purchase the yak because I have no idea what that is. Thanks. 

On 3/12/2019 at 8:09 PM, anystripe said:

Pardon my ignorance, but what part is that? Just want to make sure I didn’t forget any pieces when I purchase the yak because I have no idea what that is. Thanks. 

It's a grey piece of plastic type material; about the size of an encyclopedia. I don't have a picture of mine, but here's one from the hobie demo video. 

Screen Shot 2019-03-15 at 10.10.47 PM.png

Posted (edited) · Report post

That may be called the “Headache” or “Deep Pockets” part in the future.  Forgetting it is not recommended if you have to lift bow to load.

If you look in front of it in the pic above. The black piece is your rudder in the retracted position.

Notice it still protrudes below hull profile. The “Headache” keeps the rudder from becoming a pivot point with the ground.

Edited by Rick67

So this slides into the rear handle via 2 hooks and banks against the rear...... I'm guessing reverse pressure will keep it in place but it will slide off if there is forward motion?

20190316_085025.png.75cbdcbfb88842ecc555ff1510d78cc1.png

opinions please. Would there be any disadvantages to transporting the outback like this? Opposed to it being upside down (like my previous picture). It’s a pain in the ass getting up as it is, but flipping it once it’s up is another hassle. I’m sure with a little trail and error, I’ll find a system that works, but at the end of the day, car topping this thing is way harder than my old revo. 

B1C4080E-950D-48C7-850E-BD059AD6090B.jpeg

Go for it.

Just noticed looking at you pic it doesn't have the big keel like the previous years to deal with. 

I always did right side up with my yaks.

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, anystripe said:

opinions please. Would there be any disadvantages to transporting the outback like this? Opposed to it being upside down (like my previous picture). It’s a pain in the ass getting up as it is, but flipping it once it’s up is another hassle. I’m sure with a little trail and error, I’ll find a system that works, but at the end of the day, car topping this thing is way harder than my old revo. 

B1C4080E-950D-48C7-850E-BD059AD6090B.jpeg

I would only transport this way with saddles, otherwise hull up on the bare xbars.

Edited by cheech

Might end up purchasing the Rhino rack side loader. Seems pretty simple to use and looks like it'll make life a lot easier. I'll follow up with how it actually works out.