anystripe

Car topping Hobie Outback

84 posts in this topic

On 3/11/2019 at 1:53 AM, Kingfisher_88 said:

The new outback is heavy, but still can be car-topped. Put a towel or bathmat on the back of your car, and slide it up before flipping it over. The rudder guard/back stand piece that comes with the kayak allows you to lift the front end up without scraping the back or damaging the rudder on the ground while you're loading up. 

Pardon my ignorance, but what part is that? Just want to make sure I didn’t forget any pieces when I purchase the yak because I have no idea what that is. Thanks. 

On 3/12/2019 at 8:09 PM, anystripe said:

Pardon my ignorance, but what part is that? Just want to make sure I didn’t forget any pieces when I purchase the yak because I have no idea what that is. Thanks. 

It's a grey piece of plastic type material; about the size of an encyclopedia. I don't have a picture of mine, but here's one from the hobie demo video. 

Screen Shot 2019-03-15 at 10.10.47 PM.png

That may be called the “Headache” or “Deep Pockets” part in the future.  Forgetting it is not recommended if you have to lift bow to load.

If you look in front of it in the pic above. The black piece is your rudder in the retracted position.

Notice it still protrudes below hull profile. The “Headache” keeps the rudder from becoming a pivot point with the ground.

Edited by Rick67

So this slides into the rear handle via 2 hooks and banks against the rear...... I'm guessing reverse pressure will keep it in place but it will slide off if there is forward motion?

20190316_085025.png.75cbdcbfb88842ecc555ff1510d78cc1.png

opinions please. Would there be any disadvantages to transporting the outback like this? Opposed to it being upside down (like my previous picture). It’s a pain in the ass getting up as it is, but flipping it once it’s up is another hassle. I’m sure with a little trail and error, I’ll find a system that works, but at the end of the day, car topping this thing is way harder than my old revo. 

B1C4080E-950D-48C7-850E-BD059AD6090B.jpeg

Go for it.

Just noticed looking at you pic it doesn't have the big keel like the previous years to deal with. 

I always did right side up with my yaks.

2 hours ago, anystripe said:

opinions please. Would there be any disadvantages to transporting the outback like this? Opposed to it being upside down (like my previous picture). It’s a pain in the ass getting up as it is, but flipping it once it’s up is another hassle. I’m sure with a little trail and error, I’ll find a system that works, but at the end of the day, car topping this thing is way harder than my old revo. 

B1C4080E-950D-48C7-850E-BD059AD6090B.jpeg

I would only transport this way with saddles, otherwise hull up on the bare xbars.

Edited by cheech

Reviving this old thread instead of starting a new one 

Have. 2010 4runner and am going to be car topping a coumpass

Not worried about the difficulty of car topping it, as I've lifted heavier yaks on with no problems

Trying to figure out if I should get some cradles, or just throw some pads on my existing cross bars and run that 

Oppinions?

If you’re cartopping only one Hobie, I’d flip it upside down and let it rest on the gunwales, which is nice and flat and also happens to be the strongest part of the yak.  If carrying multiples, I’d get J cradles.  Not a fan of those hull support cradles as that’s a lot of stress over a very small area of the hull which are also the weakest part of rotomolded plastic yaks.

On 3/24/2019 at 1:44 PM, anystripe said:

Opposed to it being upside down (like my previous picture). It’s a pain in the ass getting up as it is, but flipping it once it’s up is another hassle.

Any reason you don't turn it over on the ground and then load it hull side up? I'm about to pick up an Outback and plan on loading rail down. 

1 hour ago, buddha162 said:

Any reason you don't turn it over on the ground and then load it hull side up? I'm about to pick up an Outback and plan on loading rail down. 

My buddy tried loading his outback ( hull up ) that way on cross bars with pads on the crossbars.  He said it was a pain to do it that way as ‘ things “ on the H rails were snagging on the roof rack cross bars. 

I picked up my Outback a few weeks ago and this is the way the dealer that sold it to me recommended that I load it. You can see I have pads on the cross bars on the roof rack. I also use a racheting rope from the bow of the yak to the front tow hook and a another racheting rope from the stern to the tow hook on the rear.  

‘’It’s super easy with my truck to load and unload.  I put the tail gate down and flip the hard tonneau cover up - lift the bow up onto the tail gate and slide it right up onto the roof rack. 

I’m only 5’ 7” so I carry a small 2 step folding ladder thing to get all the cam straps and bow and stern ropes on. 

I transported my yak hundreds of miles do far with no issues. 

A2ED80FC-8E8B-40D2-8D0D-0F53A2A8A3D1.jpeg

A lot depends on the car you have. Car topping an outback on a wagon/estate car is easy. I have the Thule grip/slide kayak which also helps. The whole operation takes seconds once you have the routine.

I bought a Audi Allroad over an SUV because of this - quicker too :)

On 6/20/2020 at 10:58 PM, NewAtIt said:

My buddy tried loading his outback ( hull up ) that way on cross bars with pads on the crossbars.  He said it was a pain to do it that way as ‘ things “ on the H rails were snagging on the roof rack cross bars. 

I load mine hull up, I put the loader assist piece in upside down and do one side at a time. I also noticed that things like the rod holder covers, fish finder wires and cords for the guardian plate/rudder got caught as I tried to slide it into place. I have since figured out that I wrap the extra cables around the rails and/or stuff into the rubber mesh pocket so that it isn't such a big deal anymore. I think the biggest issue is the rod holder covers, I think they are pointless anyway. I think next time I take out my kayak I'm taking those off, especially because I keep my net in one of the back rod holders and if the cover covers up the rod holder its a pain to reach around and move it, then put the net back.