anystripe

Car topping Hobie Outback

49 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I use a Thule Outrigger II bar extender.  It makes lifting the kayak up a lot easier.  I believe the Yakima version is called the Yakima Boatloader.

Edited by Water Dog

I use the Thule DockGlide and then suction cup thingies on the back window to slide it up.  Once you've done it a few times it only takes a few seconds. But Outbacks are wide and cumbersome and not as easy to handle than narrower models.

31 mins ago, fishless said:

Can the dockglide get the Hobie Outback over the lip on the hatch of the Subaru Outback?  Not the best pic but all I got at the moment.

subaru_outback_rear_chrome_trunk_hatch_accent_lid_trim_before.jpg

3418458E-CD29-471A-895D-75246CB33EF6.png

4 mins ago, fishless said:

Look like it would be cutting it a little too close for my liking. 

Shower mat/rug would work too

4 mins ago, Striper46 said:

Shower mat/rug would work too

Not worried about scratching it as much as I am if weight damages that spoiler.  The center break light is in that piece. 

55 mins ago, fishless said:

Can the dockglide get the Hobie Outback over the lip on the hatch of the Subaru Outback?  Not the best pic but all I got at the moment.

subaru_outback_rear_chrome_trunk_hatch_accent_lid_trim_before.jpg

I have a '14 Outback ... I place the nose of the kayak on the indentation of the roof rail with the arms in place across the rails ... the indentation keeps the kayak from sliding off the rails while I push it up and then spin it 90 degrees across the arms. I don't have an Outback, but I do cartop a 78 pound SOT so it works.

2 mins ago, fishless said:

Not worried about scratching it as much as I am if weight damages that spoiler.  The center break light is in that piece. 

The rollers should clear it, there is a couple different ones on the market so do a quick search for kayak rollers/loaders. This one actually has 2 different positions, straight out and straight up. I have a different one that’s higher n bigger but don’t like the angle so I’m gonna drill another hole to get it at 90 degrees. I’ve owned the one in the pic above n it was decent product.GL

28 mins ago, jeffreyrichard said:

I have a '14 Outback ... I place the nose of the kayak on the indentation of the roof rail with the arms in place across the rails ... the indentation keeps the kayak from sliding off the rails while I push it up and then spin it 90 degrees across the arms. I don't have an Outback, but I do cartop a 78 pound SOT so it works.

25 mins ago, Striper46 said:

The rollers should clear it, there is a couple different ones on the market so do a quick search for kayak rollers/loaders. This one actually has 2 different positions, straight out and straight up. I have a different one that’s higher n bigger but don’t like the angle so I’m gonna drill another hole to get it at 90 degrees. I’ve owned the one in the pic above n it was decent product.GL

Thanks fellas both of these suggestions give me hope. 

3 hours ago, Striper46 said:

I just checked this out at their site ... looks very nice, for $40 I'm going to try it (even though I use the existing rail method ...)

Just posted in the other Outback thread. Got mine yesterday. Rode fine right on top of the car. Just slight awkward loading and unloading it off of the top of the car alone. It’s not much heavier than my revo, just more awkward to carry over head. I’m sure I’ll eventually develop a system that works for me. 

E80FC251-BC29-45B9-B6E9-68D885A66629.jpeg

On 2/13/2019 at 11:51 AM, Striper46 said:

3418458E-CD29-471A-895D-75246CB33EF6.png

I know some guys like it but I tried this roller...... works ok i guess but i found it's not for me.

If it's raining & your window is wet, even a little,  even with morning dew,  or frosty like early spring or late fall,  it doesn't keep its position & will slide at the most inopportune time...... i use to keep a squeegee in the truck and attempt to dry the window than finish with paper towels......

If your windows are dirty,  or even dusty, it won't hold .....it will move & your kayak could crash down on your vehicle.....

too much work for me,  imo, its inconsistent & not fully reliable.... i don't use it anymore....

The new outback is heavy, but still can be car-topped. Put a towel or bathmat on the back of your car, and slide it up before flipping it over. The rudder guard/back stand piece that comes with the kayak allows you to lift the front end up without scraping the back or damaging the rudder on the ground while you're loading up.