anystripe

Car topping Hobie Outback

49 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 hours ago, cheech said:

Two or more in my 6’ bed and the bed extender comes out to make it all rock solid.

I always worry about the person who's behind me that's texting.

Edited by YakDawg
spelling

I car top a 2017 outback. Don't find it a problem at all, and I have a bad back. I basically do this, with the addition of a rubber mat under the stern to keep it from moving. I use cradles with the boat right-side up. A lot depends on the height and shape of your car.

On 1/25/2019 at 8:15 AM, fishless said:

I got the Malone J Cradle racks from the wife for Christmas.  Are we saying I cant use these for my Outback?

a1.jpg

They might be a bit small for something as wide and deep as an Outback.  Except for getting 2 smaller kayaks on a narrow roof rack, I never understood the point of J-cradles, just makes everything more complicated with what advantage I don't know?

On 1/4/2019 at 11:08 AM, RobEnglish said:

Yakima sweet rolls with yakima showboat 66 is what I use on my 14' Radar.

Pretty much what equipment I use to load an Outfitter (2 passenger, hull down) onto a 4Runner.  Yak is on a dolly until the bow rests on the Showboat, at which point the dolly drops out of play.  Had only the Showboat on an earlier Sequoia and that loaded hull up. 

7 hours ago, eddiespaghetti said:

Rubber mat for the stern, rear tire, Yakima sweet rolls, up and over! The sweet roll is very recommended. 

20190126_170510.jpg

Im just here to point out the beauty of that TT FJ.  Im seriously considering selling my 2002 GC this spring and being Jeepless for the 1st time in my driving life..  very bittersweet.

Edited by gobigblue

On 1/25/2019 at 2:31 PM, dbjpb said:

That looks like it could put some pressure on your rear window while sliding up. Good luck.

Ya. Depends on the model of car. Like I said.

i have a xterra and i just took the cross rails off, cut a noodle to size and also long ways and wrapped around rails then black taped tight all the way around the rails and noodle so you can't see noodle at all.

There are a couple different rollers you can use for the back but i use the suction cup style rollers, attach on and off as needed. I place the stern directly behind the truck and bow off to one side about 3/4 feet, with a mat on the floor under the stern. The most important trick is to have pre tied rope(think mine is 8/9 feet long) with a carabiner clip on each side, attach one side to the truck back bumper and the other to the stern handle, this will keep the boat from sliding backwards while loading and unloading. Then just pick up the bow and place it on the rollers and lift the stern and slide onto the roof, it very simple and no heavy lifting! the good thing about this is you don't have any racks sitting on top of your truck and its cheap, everything to load and unload was $75 good luck

Capture.PNG

Edited by Striper46

3 hours ago, fishguts430 said:

Striper 46 do you have any other pictures of your setup?

Sorry bud I don’t, pretty similar to darth baiter last video but I have a rope from stern to bumper to keep it from sliding backwards, I keep my scupper wheels on while loading too and just let them fall out as lifting.no racks on top just noodles taped on to cross rails.

On 2/6/2019 at 2:59 PM, fishguts430 said:

Striper 46 do you have any other pictures of your setup?

Just did new rails so popped some pics 

2CA96591-3550-4E7A-BEEF-9FB96BD83077.jpeg

32272F60-7BE5-4727-9D3D-8AF74D379795.jpeg

D557BA5E-D03E-458C-BA3C-A43C33ABC61E.jpeg

EBFB42E3-4A00-450E-8623-92867678A7F6.jpeg

F98EE072-3B87-4123-AB7E-11FF1B6F9107.jpeg

Edited by Striper46

On 1/26/2019 at 0:02 PM, eddiespaghetti said:

Rubber mat for the stern, rear tire, Yakima sweet rolls, up and over! The sweet roll is very recommended. 

20190126_170510.jpg

So sweet rolls hug the contour of the hull nicely? You happen to have close up pics of the contact points? Thx bud 

With Outback on right side, rudder handle facing up.  I reach across and grab the inner handle with right hand placing right knee/ thigh against bottom of yak.  Lifting with right hand, place weight on thigh, grab other inner handle with leaft hand, and pull up with right hand until the yak is over my head.   Place on roof rack rails upside down, then two straps unless highway where I add bow and stern tie downs..   Been doing this since Oct 2014 (2015 Outback).    Have the bar assist, but takes too much time.  Subaru Forester.   Kid with his Revo 13 used to go a lot, but he is 17 now...   When we went together, it was easier....

The clean n jerk can be tricky with winds over 20

Once, the right side inner handle broke in half.  Makes it really tough to lift over head without the handle.  One reason I didn't get the Compass.

I log anywhere from 270 - 320 trips per year.   

Tried tape up the often destroyed pool noodle pieces I put on the outer bar (center portion has store bought pads), but the tape ends up peeling and gets sticky on my yak.  I just slide a half piece of noodle between yak n rail.

Other day, I had to pass on a launch.   Guy was parked where you can usually park just two cars, but he  had a trailer!!!  Hogged both spots.

Edited by KnewBee

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 0:02 PM, eddiespaghetti said:

20190126_170510.jpg

Sharp looking neighborhood