anystripe

Car topping Hobie Outback

54 posts in this topic

How do you's car top your Outbacks? Getting 2019 Outback and just looking into how everybody does it. I have a full Yakima rack system on the car. Used the Yakima J-Cradles for my Revo 13, but by just looking at the Outback, I'm not sure the cradles are going to work. Thanks.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just get yourself a canoe/kayak trailer and outfitted with two 6" PCV pipes about 10' long and save your back.   Best kayak-related investment I ever made.

TLX-SUT-235-S__1.jpg

Edited by GeoffT

I place a rubber mat on the ground.  Put the bow down on the rubber mat while standing the kayak straight up.  A bath matt is on the top of the vehicle to protect the vehicle and aid in sliding the kayak, bottom down, onto the roof rack.  Hull side down for short trips, hull side up for highway travel.  If you paddle all day, the same process is remarkably more difficult at the end of the day.

2 hours ago, dbjpb said:

Do you find it difficult if you pedal all day as well?

No.  A benefit of the Mirage Drive, for sure.

Stacking on a roof is difficult with Outbacks.  They do not fit in J-cradles.    

i bought a 2018 outback a few weeks ago.  threw it right up on my jeep upside down like ive always done with my 2012 revo 11.  sure, its ~20 lbs heavier but i didnt find it to be an impossible task.  and im not exactly an in shape he man gym goer.  i figure the day i cant lift it over my head and onto a rack, is the day i get a  pickup truck or trailer, or regular boat.  until then this will be pretty much my only exercise.  so to answer OPs question.  upside down and on the racks with 2 straps is how i cartop my outback.

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, MagDarter said:

I don’t suggest a trailer as that limits your acess to parking and certain fishing spots. B

It's always good to have a trailer for something as heavy as the Outback.  It also doubles as a storage rack in my garage.  And you still have the option of car topping it to non-trailer-friendly spots.   But for the most part, I've been able to trailer to my fishing spots.

Edited by GeoffT

I second the trailer too. Buying one this weekend for longer trips around the state and for the convenience after a long day fishing and paddling. I have a truck too but I don't really like doubling up kayaks in the bed when friends come along. 

I am a he man gym goer. Getting my outback off was OK, getting it on was not. So much so that I started borrowing a truck and then... got me a truck. Frankly the car topping fiasco stopped me from using my outback as often as I wanted. Just me of course, YMMV!