Gilbey

Stuck Blade on Miter Saw

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

My son is home from college for break and was working on a project on the basement. He decided the blade in my slide miter saw needed to be replaced. Okay, fine, not a problem. Trouble is he put the blade in backwards and cranked the bolt down so tight that I cannot get it off. I assume he ran the saw and pushed it which likely locked the bold down even tighter. :o  It's an older model Hitachi with plenty of life left in it, but the head of the bolt is worn. I can't get a socket or box wrench to grip well. I even thought I would just sacrifice the bolt and use vice grips. Nope, not budging. Anybody have any ideas?

IMG_0235.jpg.54de33d30d73cd911222666fa7df91e4.jpg

Looks like a small propane torch in the background, no?   Heat it up a bit. Just not so much that it'll smoke anything with heat transferring through the drive.

1st make sure it's not a counter thread. Liquid wrench, a small 6 in pipe wrench & a pipe or long box wrench to extend the handle. If you apply heat you may ruin the bearing.

59 mins ago, SB59 said:

1st make sure it's not a counter thread. 

This. That bolt should be a lefty, so it doesn't spin out with the RH rotation.

Yes, it's reverse thread, I am aware of that. I tried penetrating oil. The biggest issue is I just can't get a good grip on the bolt head. It's a bit stripped, not horribly, but that's not helping. It's also a very shallow head, so it's hard to get a bite on it. :o 

Posted (edited) · Report post

If you're using a 6 pt socket rather than 12, even a somewhat rounded head should come. Often sockets have eased inner edges that make slim heads hard to grab. It can help to grind that eased edge off so it grips right to the surface. There are also some of those novelty "adaptable"  wrenches and socket heads you can try like the "easyfix"  below. You can also try disassembling the guard and see if a very small stillson wrench will do it.

1-Set-Torque-Wrench-Head-Set-Universal-S

Edited by gellfex

Posted (edited) · Report post

Grab the blade in a safe manner and get it to spin while holding back the arbor bolt with a visegrip.

Edited by cheech

I would,try an impact wrench and a six point socket , if you don't have one bring the saw to your mechanic, its small enough to throw in the car . Remember it's a reverse thread 

Use a potato.

Just kidding. Impact wrench on stun. Whack the socket a time or the three to guarantee purchase.

Or take it to your car guy as was suggested above, and prepare the for a lifetime of ridicule and scorn.

dremel a nice clean line in it like you would need for a flat head screwdriver, then whack it with a manual, handheld impact driver

Clamp the vise tight as you can get it  on the screw , then put a long big screeedriver in close on the vise grip jaw.  Close to the screw where the jaw they are. Or grip another vise grip to the jaw of the first vise grip . Then push the pin in so the blade doesn’t turn . If no pin use a block of wood and press the blade into it. Then turn the screw ?  

Shoud work 

If  The vise grip slips off and you can’t get a good bite , then file the inside edge on both opposite sides of the bolt  and get a new bite 

On 1/4/2019 at 10:46 AM, SB59 said:

1st make sure it's not a counter thread. Liquid wrench, a small 6 in pipe wrench & a pipe or long box wrench to extend the handle. If you apply heat you may ruin the bearing.

This is what I've done multi times while working repairing contractors tools. The small 4 or 6 in pipe wrench will grab a worn round bolt. As said use a wood block to hold the blade. 

You don't need the wood block. There is a push button stop for the arbor just below the little thumb button that let's you pull  the trigger