ccb

Best Casting Conventional reel

57 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, BrianBM said:

That shore fishing would be best at ice-out, no?

It's pretty good then as well.  The only time it's really bad is from late June until early August, but it picks back up as the salmon stage up to hit the rivers.  I like to tie on 3oz of weight and fish an alewife between sandbars.  Most people here confine themselves to the piers, and while they are successful, they are limiting themselves.  Once you have a rod/reel combo that can really put it out there, you open up a whole new world.  I almost always get people telling me I'm not gonna catch anything off the beach, but those same guys are using gear that doesn't cast much past 50yd.

On 1/11/2019 at 7:49 PM, hobobob said:

lol. I asked that question to bantam1 on that forum a very long time ago. His response that the reel is made for both inshore and freshwater market. They have a very big market in the Texas coast that demands more line.  Since then the market evolved with separate line of inshore and freshwater reels.  So I am not really sure where the demands came from.  People don't need the extra capacity, they just don't know it yet. 

My fishing buddy keep tying his braids to the mono backing with some king of bulky connection nut. Yet, his backing have never seen the light of day.  Just in case, in case of what?  nessie?

The great equalizer are the guys that chase salmon and steelhead with baitcasters.  and need that capacity should a streamer spin off 50 or so yards.  

Bantam in my opinion kinda talks out his ass....

Makes ya wonder if it was designed for salt...why'd they come out with the tranx 200 

(and yeah i know all reels can be used in the salt)

On 1/10/2019 at 2:48 PM, Sudsy said:

Who would need more than that on a freshwater largemouth fishing baitcaster ?

Maybe only those tournament guys who fish the thick lily pads and want to rip the fish out of there. Other than those individuals... I have no idea

Placing magnets I would be interested in also. Use no glue, a mild 2 part epoxy would be better. Hot glues when the heat builds from outgoing drag function, pads and things fall off.

FT

For gluing magnets into the sideplate.  I've had good luck with go2glue.  Epoxy is the standard.  Just clean the surface prior.....  That go 2 crap is rubbery  and flexible...all it has to do is keep whats stuck in position.  and it's a no muss no fuss sorta thing.  

Put the mags in the non handle sideplate as the handle side gets centrifugal weights.

you can do it easy peezy by just buying a pack of neodymiums....glue one and stack em until they get to the spool.

Or you can glue in a cut fender washer or anything magnetic..then stack mags.

It may take a few since there is a pretty larger space between the sideplate and the spool in an abu.  And you have to clear the clicker ring and the cog that runs the levelwind

Shouldn't take more than a few minutes

If you want adjustability......the PMR knobbies take the guesswork out of the parts.....

I always liked the round body Abu Ambassador reels for freshwater.

They are fairly easy to develope rats nests with though ... at least the ones that have not been converted to or came with a mag anti-backlash.

I've heard that makes a big difference, but have never tried one.

On 1/4/2019 at 9:38 AM, ccb said:

whats your choice for freshwater.

ccb, have read all the posts on here about freshwater bait casters, and decided to chim in. I am an old large mouth bass fisher, and been around baitcasters all my life. You will never find a better baitcaster than the older Lews, I have a couple that are my favorite...the BB1N and the BB1NH which I would recommend. It is practically impossible to backlash one of these reels if you try real hard LOL. Nothing about them that will not stand the test of time....all alum. frames, light, side plate looks like a piece of leather ( but is not) and made in many sizes, speeds, etc. Handles braid just as good as mono, and will cast with any of the China plastics of today. Lew Childress started this business in Alabama back in 70's I believe and believe me, nothing any better. The newer ones made today I know nothing about, only have the older ones which can still be bought on Ebay for $50 to $100 and many look new. You owe it to your self to check them out on Ebay, and if you need help in choosing one let me know, will be glad to help.

4 hours ago, Waydown said:

I am an old large mouth bass fisher, and been around baitcasters all my life. You will never find a better baitcaster than the older Lews

lol didn't see that one coming!

On 05/01/2019 at 1:09 AM, hobobob said:

Shimano 4x8 DC.   If nothing else, you'll get that high tech R2D2 whine keep you entertained on every cast.

yes !

for now curado dc, that sound make me orgasm everytime i cast ..

My $.02, putting magnets in an old abu is fun, but there are a lot of decent options for an inexpensive low profile bass reel.  I suspect even after your successful installation of magnets it would be more fun to flick a light bait out with a decent LMB specific reel than the Abu round reel. 

Once suggestion is the abu silver max reel.  It is inexpensive, casts well, and has a strong drag(we are talking about LMB).  You can buy a decent combo at the big box store for about $70 or $80.  If you wanted to spend a more, the curado's and tatulas are worth every penny.  I have the older DC's(whine is addictive), Curado 200e's (bullet proof and reason why I don't use the DC)and the Lews BB1NG (great for cranks) but I always seem to gravitate to the smaller profile low profile baitcaster like the curado 50e, 70 and the sv tatula.

The casting and control of a nicely set up baitcast rig is addictive!

Tight Lines,

Bruce 

On 1/14/2019 at 9:44 PM, scoobydoo said:

I've had good luck with go2glue.  That go 2 crap is rubbery  and flexible...all it has to do is keep whats stuck in position.  and it's a no muss no fuss sorta thing.

Funny you mentioned Go2glue.  I just discovered it for making thunder creek flies.  Have you by chance used it to coat knots to help them slip through rod guides?  I'm thinking of trying it since Piobond has become so scarce.