ccb

Best Casting Conventional reel

57 posts in this topic

8 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Correct, I spend a lot of time chasing flathead catfish, my gear has gotten pretty specialized.

I only use the 12ft rods (12ft Tica XHs) in certain situations where being able to reach fish holding locations is only possible if you can cast at least 100yds. But, the 8oz sinkers I use are standard regardless of the set-up I am using. The current combined with the size of the live bait and/or cut bait requires 8oz minimum just to hold bottom or keep a 10in to 15in baitfish from pulling you into a snag.

Wow.... Cool

31729489117_002a1a7a2e_b.jpg

23 hours ago, cdsleeve said:

I'm new to baitcasters but just got a Lew's Mach Crush reel rod combo this afternoon.

Made a few casts before dark off the bank and it worked great,no backlash at all.

Tomorrow's suppose to be nice so I'm going out on the canoe and try it out

Had a good time with the new combo,first impressions were positive.Messed up once when I changed lures and didn't readjust the reel.

7 hours ago, cdsleeve said:

31729489117_002a1a7a2e_b.jpg

Had a good time with the new combo,first impressions were positive.Messed up once when I changed lures and didn't readjust the reel.

My son also bought a lews combo.seems ok for 100 for the combo.

Posted (edited) · Report post

i usually get named brands ct croix, loomis, falcon also makes nice rods most important is to match action to the lure type like crankbaits use a softer rod popping blank might have faster tip, jigging/flipping heavy butt most of the big brands have series designated to the type of lure like golf clubs i don't think there is 1 rod fits all if you want top performance/action out of the bait have to match it with what your casting take a look at the deck of a bass pro some have like a dozen rods set up to cover all the different lures they use

as for reels mag most important for backlash and speed rate to the the bait type also your hand might get sore if not match up correctly to bait type usually i can find a number of reels in the 100$ range that have the mag breaking and speed ratio required lot of choices, drag less important as long as parts are available also want something light weight if your making a couple hundred cast in a day

Edited by onthefly
added text

On 1/8/2019 at 11:32 AM, mwhitt80 said:

Hey @scoobydoo the concept z still casting? And are you going to try the txz? 

And If you are looking to upgrade to the nicer baitcasters. Would you go with curado k or something else? When you look at price and performance?

Yeah....and it's in my opinion the most rugged baitcaster out in that size......I have the larger z3 that I've only fished twice but look forward to using it in the spring. Although the first reel was a defect and needed replacement.

The Concept z isn't a reel I'd recommend over shim daiwas in that price range in fw....... Although the Twackle Tour shill site rated it the highest of any reel they've reviewed or close to it...but

For FW under 200$ my $$$ goes to Curado K or Tatula 100.....Tat 100 if I wan't compact and Curado if size isn't an issue and I want to throw baits in the few ounce size regularly.

I have no interest in the txz.....it doesn't look like anything special other than an inflated price tag.  

I really lost respect for 13 fishing after using the reel below.......the amount of stoopid that goes on the side of the box is misleading and utter garbage....the old school metal sideplate thing is  truly a sham.....they aren't sideplates...and one isn't even secured it just floats.  It literally does nothing but add weight.  And their corrosion protection coating.......are they referring the paint on the plastic??   High spin bearings......ummmm they're radial bearings...of course they highly spinney.

47 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

For FW under 200$ my $$$ goes to Curado K or Tatula 100.....Tat 100 if I wan't compact and Curado if size isn't an issue and I want to throw baits in the few ounce size regularly.

Got my curiosity up so i went an looked

The Tat holds 100 yards of 40# mono - that a lot of braid

Who would need more than that on a freshwater largemouth fishing baitcaster ?

32 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

I have no interest in the txz.....it doesn't look like anything special other than an inflated price tag.  

When I saw they were doing a txz I couldn't figure out why I would want one. I bought the cz because it looked like a reel that would be a jack of all trades. A small low profile reel that would be good for large mouths and inshore. And I like the color.  The cz3 was good idea for people who use it more in the salt; the cz fits my fishing "needs" so I passed (for now). txz just seems like a repetitive waste of cash.

Geez that is a terrible looking spinning reel. I've never trusted 13's spinners; they all look like cheap Chinese reels. I know looks aren't everything, but I can't get past the feeling if I get a cheaper Shimano or Abu spinner I'll have a better reel.

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 5:44 AM, Mangrove Jack said:

I still use my older (1970's / 80's) Swedish made Ambassadeur 5000's for freshwater

5500 & 6500's .........

FT 

On 1/10/2019 at 2:48 PM, Sudsy said:

Got my curiosity up so i went an looked

The Tat holds 100 yards of 40# mono - that a lot of braid

Who would need more than that on a freshwater largemouth fishing baitcaster ?

There is the argument for more shallow spooled reels like in japan...as the reduced weight helps toss lighter lures easier (look at the aldebaran bfs you can use mine if ya want or an abu that I put an avail spool in that's a bfs reel....(think tossing shad darts with a baitcaster)

Jerk baits go 190 to 210 feet....frogs 150 to 190 feet.   Spooks up to 240 feet    Senkos wacky rigged 95 to  120 feet.  

18 gram world record is 363 

No need for the capacity  but the market demands it.  

38 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

There is the argument for more shallow spooled reels like in japan...as the reduced weight helps toss lighter lures easier (look at the aldebaran bfs you can use mine if ya want or an abu that I put an avail spool in that's a bfs reel....(think tossing shad darts with a baitcaster)

Jerk baits go 190 to 210 feet....frogs 150 to 190 feet.   Spooks up to 240 feet    Senkos wacky rigged 95 to  120 feet.  

18 gram world record is 363 

No need for the capacity  but the market demands it.  

lol. I asked that question to bantam1 on that forum a very long time ago. His response that the reel is made for both inshore and freshwater market. They have a very big market in the Texas coast that demands more line.  Since then the market evolved with separate line of inshore and freshwater reels.  So I am not really sure where the demands came from.  People don't need the extra capacity, they just don't know it yet. 

My fishing buddy keep tying his braids to the mono backing with some king of bulky connection nut. Yet, his backing have never seen the light of day.  Just in case, in case of what?  nessie?

19 hours ago, Mangrove Jack said:

I prefer the 5000 to the 5500 because of its lower gearing. 

Don't forget about the 4500/4600.  I use them primarily for bass and walleye, while the 5000 size I use for pike and steelhead, and the 6000 size for musky and surf fishing Lake Michigan for salmon.  Yes, you can surf fish the Great Lakes.  Little known tactic for pulling salmon and big brown trout during the warmer months if you don't have access to a boat ;) 

I have a few ABU. 5000 and 6500 c3  that I am going to try and put some magnets in.  I think I may start a thread on how to place the magnets??

i bought the mags a while back, just wasn’t sure on what type of glue to use and the placement .

2 hours ago, ccb said:

I have a few ABU. 5000 and 6500 c3  that I am going to try and put some magnets in.  I think I may start a thread on how to place the magnets??

i bought the mags a while back, just wasn’t sure on what type of glue to use and the placement .

I would follow this.  :th: