ccb

Best Casting Conventional reel

56 posts in this topic

Distance in baitcasters comes down to 3 things.

LIne

Brake setting

Skill.

90% of all fw baitcasters will throw within 10% of one another

More than half of the remaining 10% are fall shorter than that 10% distance number....and a select few throw further.....but the strange thing.....some reels throw some baits further....

Shimanos DC brakes work very well for max distance without any brain input.  

a 20 to 40lb braid will more often than not throw further than a 12 to 17lb mono or fluoro.

ANd due to lack of stretch will be less prone to blow ups when you set your reels braking lighter.

I think the best distance reel for the money is the Curado K.  If you keep the dial set at 3 or below and only use 2 brakes.  Anything more than that it's average (which is still very good)

Abu reels with the IVCB6 brake are spectacular casters as well.

Daiwa Mag Z with or without SV spools will keep pace with the others with all but the longest range lures.....With SV being very comfortable throwing 1/8th or a tick under which some of the svs infinity shimano brakes sorta struggle.

If you look up distance comparison tests........take note of the brake settings.....if they compare distances and have their brakes set at 7 on a daiwa and 2 and 2 on a shimano.......its a junk test...as 7 on a daiwa is a into the wind setting and will kill upwards of 20% distance.

WIth the old svs infinity from shimano. I found the best settings to be with 1 white block and 1 red and the dial set at 2.    Any caster comparing distance with the new svs infinity brake that makes bold distance claims and has 3 brakes on with the dial set more than 3....they're not going to beat anyone in a comparison if the caster knows how to cast.

There is a video of a japanese angler casting a frog on a antares dc and claiming it went 100 yards........

It's a bold face lie..it didn't go further than 60 yards (even if it was filled with lead shot :) 

I've done enough filmed casting comparisons to see how many liars are on the interwebs.  

Flukemaster, the reel test are two that put out bogus numbers.

For 20 consecutive casting comparisons you can predict the distance by how loud the wind was......and he'd bad mouth brand a after tallying the results.....SOOOOOO MUCH GARBAGE OUT THERE.

:)

20 hours ago, ccb said:

whats your choice for freshwater.

I still use my older (1970's / 80's) Swedish made Ambassadeur 5000's for freshwater plugging. They are my go to reels. Fishing for Barramundi and Mangrove Jack. I like tinkering around with stuff, so polishing the drag plates, luring the bearings / bushings, etc keeps these babies singing and me fishing. 

Thanks for the info, I will try to put this info to good use.  If you want saltwater info. Give me a jingle   Ccb

10 hours ago, ccb said:

To tell you the Truth I don’t know what the hell I was referring to  

I thought it was a easy general question 

I’m a saltwater fisherman 99% or the time ?

Well, that pretty much made all of us.:laugh:

It’s just that I see all these freshwater reels and then see these bird nests and I was trying to find out witch ones would be better ?  I have Abu’s in the 5000c and 6500c  range. But I never but any Mags on them.  I use them for Saltwater Stripers and Black Sea Bass

@ccb

Professional Overruns, backlash, or bird's nest happen especially when you start learning how to cast low profile reels (like on TV). You need to use more brakes and tighten up the spool tension which reduces casting distance (and professional overruns) while you are getting feel for casting the reel. As you get more experience loosen everything up.

I'm not sure that there is a reel that prevents overruns. Abu makes some low profile reels that are easy to learn with for $150.00 - $50.00. I learned on a lowish end Abu that had internal mag brakes and the only adjustment you made was the spool tension knob. 

Bird's nests are good for our soul. They teach us line skills, new forms of cursing, patience, humility, and mindfulness.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I wouldn't spend big money for a low profile reel until I got the casting down.

Something in the $100 range (give or take $20-$30) like an Abu Revo S, a Shimano SLX, Lew's Mach Speed, or quantum Team KVD. 

I've heard good things about the Lew's Mach 2 which is around $140.00. I've not used it, but Scooby might have played with it

Anyway all the above reels are decent and good to learn on.

Edited by mwhitt80

I'm new to baitcasters but just got a Lew's Mach Crush reel rod combo this afternoon.

Made a few casts before dark off the bank and it worked great,no backlash at all.

Tomorrow's suppose to be nice so I'm going out on the canoe and try it out

On 1/5/2019 at 10:03 AM, ccb said:

It’s just that I see all these freshwater reels and then see these bird nests and I was trying to find out witch ones would be better ?  I have Abu’s in the 5000c and 6500c  range. But I never but any Mags on them.  I use them for Saltwater Stripers and Black Sea Bass

The daiwas out with magforce Z (essentially  everythinng north of 100$)  Set the brarke to max

You can tie on a golf ball....stand 10 feet from a brick wall.....and  smash a cast thumb free right at it.....And it won't over run :)

Abus and shimanos can get close at max setting.......but the daiwa brake at full force will put a bend in the rod tip with how hard it can slow down a lure.

No spool tension pressure required.

Edited by scoobydoo

Hey @scoobydoo the concept z still casting? And are you going to try the txz? 

And If you are looking to upgrade to the nicer baitcasters. Would you go with curado k or something else? When you look at price and performance?

Edited by mwhitt80

On 1/4/2019 at 9:12 PM, Beastly Backlash said:

The best casting conventional reel I have used in freshwater is the Penn Fathom 15nlw. I paired it to the 12ft Offshore Angler Ocean Master surf rod and I could cast 8oz and bait 100yds easy. If I was just casting an 8oz sinker, I could achieve 150yd casts with no problem; this was right out of the box too.

Honorable mention goes to the Avet Raptor MXL's and Okuma Andros 5ii's. Neither one I used for distance casting, but they are both very good at casting an 8oz sinker with 10in to 15in live bait on the hook. They both have excellent free spool, but the Avet Raptor has a better mag for cast control. The Andros has a better drag and less binding when fishing heavy drags, while not connected to castability those variables are important when it comes to fishing lever drag conventional reels.

I am looking forward to putting more time on the water with this new Okuma Tesoro 12 and Tesoro 5 conventional reel, both reels have some sick free spin out of the box, I need to get a good knobby mag for the Tesoro 5 if I am going to use it for casting long distances. The Tesoro 12 is just going to be for lobbing big live baits.

I don't consider baitcasting reels with levelwinds to be conventional reels.

You use a 12' rod and 8 oz. Sinker for freshwater? 

On 1/5/2019 at 5:44 AM, Mangrove Jack said:

I still use my older (1970's / 80's) Swedish made Ambassadeur 5000's for freshwater plugging. They are my go to reels. Fishing for Barramundi and Mangrove Jack. I like tinkering around with stuff, so polishing the drag plates, luring the bearings / bushings, etc keeps these babies singing and me fishing. 

I have 5&6 sized sweedish made abusive and use for freshwater with good results as well. 

On 1/5/2019 at 10:03 AM, ccb said:

Maybe a good cleanup on your abu's with some new line is what you need. The 5000 would be good for some larger largemouth plugs. Their are a ton of videos on those reels. As far as cleaning and tuning. 

37 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

You use a 12' rod and 8 oz. Sinker for freshwater? 

Correct, I spend a lot of time chasing flathead catfish, my gear has gotten pretty specialized.

I only use the 12ft rods (12ft Tica XHs) in certain situations where being able to reach fish holding locations is only possible if you can cast at least 100yds. But, the 8oz sinkers I use are standard regardless of the set-up I am using. The current combined with the size of the live bait and/or cut bait requires 8oz minimum just to hold bottom or keep a 10in to 15in baitfish from pulling you into a snag.