Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lewbag29

What blackfish rig do you use?

Rate this topic

171 posts in this topic

Just now, Slacker said:

This is true.  It is also true that I recently watched dude and his girlfriend drag up about 35 keepers... "that's 18 for me Davy, you'd better get moving or it will be a long ride home"... using exactly that rig.  So, IMO it does work as well as anything else.

I'm sure it does. I fished next to a guy jigging last week. He was in the right spot. 14 k's for him, the rest of the boat, including the captain and mate averaged 3. 

31 mins ago, Lewbag29 said:

Snafu_rig_JoeW.jpg

Lew, that's a rig designed to get twisted in anything lighter than 50# or 60# leader :b:  Picture it sinking...the sinker on the loop...the two hooks in a crab helicoptering around your leader all the way to the bottom.  The swivel isn't gonna stop it from helicoptering around the rest of the leader...and the braid depending on how much leader is to the right of the loop in the picture.  

I don't use multihooked rigs for blackfishing, they aren't necessary...just one more thing to get stuck, one more thing to tangle..and, worse, one more thing to get stuck in your hand unhooking and releasing a bunch of blackfish. They are slippery...and holding them by the gills will kill them. With one hook you know where the hook is - and when they slip out of your hand while unhooking them you won't end up with a hook in your hand and an angry blackfish pulling on it. 

tog_rig_2.jpg

The rig MikeY described trying above is the "Belmar" rig - it's shown above on the right. I use the rig on the left. It's stupid simple - tie a large dropper loop, leave about 16-18" on the tag end - snell on a hook. Done. No swivels, no doubled leader, perfection loops, over hand knots, pre-snelled hooks - nothing. A dropper loop and snell on a hook. I miss fewer bites than most guys around me with their fancy sliding hooks, double hook rigs, snafu rigs and anything else that tries to snag or tangle fish they weren't otherwise gonna hook. Simple is, almost, always better :)

TimS

No barrel swivel.  And about 3 more beads than needed.  But the gold sinker requires some extra bling... all balance, no restraint.

3 mins ago, TimS said:

Lew, that's a rig designed to get twisted in anything lighter than 50# or 60# leader :b:  Picture it sinking...the sinker on the loop...the two hooks in a crab helicoptering around your leader all the way to the bottom.  The swivel isn't gonna stop it from helicoptering around the rest of the leader...and the braid depending on how much leader is to the right of the loop in the picture.  

I don't use multihooked rigs for blackfishing, they aren't necessary...just one more thing to get stuck, one more thing to tangle..and, worse, one more thing to get stuck in your hand unhooking and releasing a bunch of blackfish. They are slippery...and holding them by the gills will kill them. With one hook you know where the hook is - and when they slip out of your hand while unhooking them you won't end up with a hook in your hand and an angry blackfish pulling on it. 

tog_rig_2.jpg

The rig MikeY described trying above is the "Belmar" rig - it's shown above on the right. I use the rig on the left. It's stupid simple - tie a large dropper loop, leave about 16-18" on the tag end - snell on a hook. Done. No swivels, no doubled leader, perfection loops, over hand knots, pre-snelled hooks - nothing. A dropper loop and snell on a hook. I miss fewer bites than most guys around me with their fancy sliding hooks, double hook rigs, snafu rigs and anything else that tries to snag or tangle fish they weren't otherwise gonna hook. Simple is, almost, always better :)

TimS

I'm gonna try your rig next time out. What do you think of tying the hook on with a palomar or a uni? 

7 mins ago, mickrazz said:

I'm sure it does. I fished next to a guy jigging last week. He was in the right spot. 14 k's for him, the rest of the boat, including the captain and mate averaged 3. 

He was in the right spot on four consecutive drops?

4 mins ago, mickrazz said:

I'm gonna try your rig next time out. What do you think of tying the hook on with a palomar or a uni? 

If using those knots for the hook, use a straight eye hook or you'll mess with the physics of the bent eye hook. Bent eye = snell only. Effing old blind can't tie knots coger!

2 mins ago, Mike said:

If using those knots for the hook, use a straight eye hook or you'll mess with the physics of the bent eye hook. Bent eye = snell only. Effing old blind can't tie knots coger!

Now before Razz chews my ass off, let me point this out. If you tie a Palomar on a bent eye, on the hookset you will cause the hook to rotate the point backwards. Not generally a good thing. The line need to be inline with the shank, not at an angle. Thus snell with bent eyes and use any knot with straight eye.

Just now, Mike said:

Now before Razz chews my ass off, let me point this out. If you tie a Palomar on a bent eye, on the hookset you will cause the hook to rotate the point backwards. Not generally a good thing. The line need to be inline with the shank, not at an angle. Thus snell with bent eyes and use any knot with straight eye.

We aren't idiots.

18 mins ago, TimS said:

Lew, that's a rig designed to get twisted in anything lighter than 50# or 60# leader :b:  Picture it sinking...the sinker on the loop...the two hooks in a crab helicoptering around your leader all the way to the bottom.  The swivel isn't gonna stop it from helicoptering around the rest of the leader..

Thank you for saving me the time to type that. It looks like it's specifically designed to helicopter.