What blackfish rig do you use?

Rate this topic

Lewbag29

40 mins ago, Kml said:

I like the braid to mono connection just because it allows me to use a leader that is longer than my rod. I'll say out loud that the fg knot is my current favorite. It is so slim it goes in and out the guides with no issues. Also with how small the guide rings are on some rods it is the only one that works for me.

Kev, can you tie that knot sitting on a cooler, on deck with 2-4's in 15 knot winds? Serious question. 

I fish with 30' of top shot and have no problem with the knot going thru guides, and I can tie an alberto in any conditions.

The Magnificent Presence

2 hours ago, Spigola said:

Fishing blackfish more than 60 years and never used a swivel. Just something else to get hung in the bottom or another point of failure. Ridiculous. :worms:

I'd rather get hung up more times than having to fix the tangle everytime I pull up my rig but thats just me.

3 hours ago, Spigola said:

Fishing blackfish more than 60 years and never used a swivel. Just something else to get hung in the bottom or another point of failure. Ridiculous. :worms:

I guess it is called the 'improved snafu rig' and I learned it from a guy who has also been fishing his entire life. Maybe you can answer the original question and provide some intuition into your go to/favorite rig rather than chirping mine. I'd love to hear what you've used the last 60 years.

Edited by TimS
You were correct in your initial assumption - we don't allow links to commercial sites :-)

2 hours ago, Kml said:

. And that boat was not full of hammerheads except for the ones we brought. 

I resemble that comment.

2 hours ago, Fly By Nite said:

I can't stand braid to mono splices but for this type of stuff it's the only way to do it.  Doubt they will cause hang ups any more than a splice, but who wants to carry them and dig them out.  90% of the geezers blackfishing can't see worth a damn anyway so imagine trying to tie them on a boat in crumby conditions.  

I hear ya, try to stop that swivel from turning while trying to tie the mono to it, that pia, and you have to tie it every effing time you break off! eff that, tie the mono topshot, and itll last all day.  IGBAH I look over my glasses when tying knots .

1 hour ago, Kml said:

I like the braid to mono connection just because it allows me to use a leader that is longer than my rod. I'll say out loud that the fg knot is my current favorite. It is so slim it goes in and out the guides with no issues. Also with how small the guide rings are on some rods it is the only one that works for me.

The FG knot, ok, it works for you, thats good, I had that knot break on me , dont remember exactly where etc, but, I gave up on it, a certain someone had talked me in to using it.

1 hour ago, Spigola said:

Hey guys, ever since I switched to braid, it's been a uni to uni braid to the topshot what will go a few turns on the reel.  It will go through the guides and when you need to retie a rig after busting one off in the bottom, that really does happen when black fishing, you just tie in a quick dropper for your hook(s) and a double overhand for your sinker.

BTW, geezers wear glasses to see with.  

Like minds. 

1 hour ago, Spigola said:

:laugh: just busting his balls a bit. 

Settle down there young mnan !!!!:p

Edited by Snaps

1 hour ago, Lewbag29 said:

I guess it is called the 'improved snafu rig' and I learned it from a guy who has also been fishing his entire life. Maybe you can answer the original question and provide some intuition into your go to/favorite rig rather than chirping mine. I'd love to hear what you've used the last 60 years.

Spig is one of the good guys...he doesn't take himself or others too seriously...there is a lot of ball busting in this forum, it's sort of a brotherhood down here :)  Please don't take the ball busting personally, it's not meant that way...smile...life is too short...and it's just fishing :)

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

7 mins ago, TimS said:

Spig is one of the good guys...he doesn't take himself or others too seriously...there is a lot of ball busting in this forum, it's sort of a brotherhood down here :)  Please don't take the ball busting personally, it's not meant that way...smile...life is too short...and it's just fishing :)

TimS

What he said.

The Magnificent Presence

15 hours ago, Lewbag29 said:

Fellas,

What is your favorite blackfish rig to use? I would love to hear everybody likes to use to hook up the toothy critters on the bottom of the ocean floor. I want to learn how to tie new ones (belmar rig, sliding snafu, etc.) Feel free to show a diagram or explain what rig is on your setup and why you use it. I'll begin with mine. I fish montauk and block island most of the season and current is always a major factor. I like to use a snafu rig where the snafu is connected to a swivel (inside the dropper loop) so there are less tangles on the retrieval or when I am dropping it down. One of the guys I fish with showed me it and it has been my go to since. Let's hear what you got.

Tie one and post a pic please. I use the belmar rig, one hook no slider. I don't use swivels or snaps. No junk on my line.  

What tangles are you speaking of? It silly to want to get hung more than to untangle a rig.

The Magnificent Presence

I'm liking the fg but I have trouble tying it on a boat. I tie them at home, give myself a good 12' of leader and I'm usually good all day. Plus I bring 5 rods so no need to tie if one leader gets too short.

If your snafu is tangling you might be using a leader that isn't stiff enough. I use at least 50lb, normally 60lb. 

After going through a ton of rigs over 20 years, including using swivels, I'm back to old school rigging. One long surgeon's loop,  18" or so. Sinker on that. Then I make a loop with the double line of the surgeon loop, use that to loop to loop one or two snelled hooks and tie 1-2 overhand knots with the doubled line to hold the snelled hooks where I want them. If I add two hooks in the same connnection, that's my version of a snafu

"Depend not on fortune, but on conduct."

9 mins ago, mickrazz said:

Tie one and post a pic please. I use the belmar rig, one hook no slider. I don't use swivels or snaps. No junk on my line.  

What tangles are you speaking of? It silly to want to get hung more than to untangle a rig.

The rig twists where it looks like your rig was in the middle of a tornado. I really don't think I get hung up more times if I did not have the swivel but who knows.

2 hours ago, mickrazz said:

Kev, can you tie that knot sitting on a cooler, on deck with 2-4's in 15 knot winds? Serious question. 

I fish with 30' of top shot and have no problem with the knot going thru guides, and I can tie an alberto in any conditions.

I can tie it no problem.  The only trick is that the line coming off the rod needs to be under some tension. A rod holder works good for this. It is a very simple knot after you do it a bit. When my kid is around he takes care of it for me.

When we went north he did all our rods out in the parking lot of the hotel when we got there. No failures.

3 mins ago, Kml said:

I can tie it no problem.  The only trick is that the line coming off the rod needs to be under some tension. A rod holder works good for this. It is a very simple knot after you do it a bit. When my kid is around he takes care of it for me.

When we went north he did all our rods out in the parking lot of the hotel when we got there. No failures.

Answer my question. On the boat, 15 knots, 2-4s, by yourself. And thats mild conditions.

The Magnificent Presence