Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lewbag29

What blackfish rig do you use?

Rate this topic

171 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 mins ago, TimS said:

Spig, that’s a personal thing...some folks think it doesn’t matter and I think they are wrong :)

TimS

Only reason I asked is that I think the mono is softer and easier to tie knots in.  Or, am I missing out on a brand of flouro that is as supple as mono?  BTW, do you use a heavier top shot to the light braid when fishing the blackfish jigs?

Edited by Spigola

Speaking of knots, last night I fastened a Game octopus to a leader using a Uni-knot and it worked.  Seems like there is more than one way to tie on a hook.

3 hours ago, Spigola said:

Only reason I asked is that I think the mono is softer and easier to tie knots in.  Or, am I missing out on a brand of flouro that is as supple as mono?  BTW, do you use a heavier top shot to the light braid when fishing the blackfish jigs?

Shoe laces are softer even than mono yet we don't use it for top shots either ;) I don't use fluoro because it's softer or knots easier...I like it because it's abrasion resistant and I get more bites with 50# fluoro than I do with 50# mono :) 

Two times I fish jigs - once is stunt fishing during pre-season tog scrimmages. That's done with a 5'4" Loomis spinning rod, 1000 sized reel and 6# braid. Usually with a 3-4 foot 30# fluoro leader.  It is for pure entertainment purposes, it's very rare to actually land a big blackfish on that rod but I've landed them to almost 10# on it...but whether or not you'll land them that size on that rod is entirely up to THEM :b:   

The other time I'll fish jigs is over fairly open bottom when there's not much current and I can anchor the boat away from the junk and pitch jigs towards it. I'll use a little heavier 7' spinning rod and 3000 sized reel with 10# braid for that. And I'll use 3-4 foot 40# or 50# fluoro leader. Still, landing a really big fish on that gear requires a good sense of humor on their part ;)

Don't over think it Spig...like all the kinda of fishing you've ever done, toggin' isn't a math problem - there are many right answers :)  Any time I answer questions about blackfish rigs I really wanna just tell people to tie good knots, start with something simple and adjust through experimentation until you find out what YOU like, not what anyone else likes :th:  I know folks need a jumping off point...I just hope they remember to jump off and adjust as you experiment to find out what best suits you.

TimS

Thanks for the kick in the ass Tim.  I guess I was trying to go off in a new direction I don't have to go in.  I'll just go back to what I know best.  Difference is only the use of braid and a top shot.  Hope to see you soon.

Spig  :howdy:

2 hours ago, Spigola said:

Thanks for the kick in the ass Tim.  I guess I was trying to go off in a new direction I don't have to go in.  I'll just go back to what I know best.  Difference is only the use of braid and a top shot.  Hope to see you soon.

Spig  :howdy:

Dear Spig,

You already know how to fish...the fish haven't changed how they behave, there is just far fewer and that makes it seem like they suddenly got smart - they didn't :)

TimS

Hopefully have my Honey back this week with a new reel, a new Lami 7030 with a new reel  and an Avid Inshore with a little Lew's baitcasting reel for jigs when plausible.

There goes the new big screen for the family room till next year.

A man has to have his priorities straight.