Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lewbag29

What blackfish rig do you use?

Rate this topic

171 posts in this topic

Fellas,

What is your favorite blackfish rig to use? I would love to hear everybody likes to use to hook up the toothy critters on the bottom of the ocean floor. I want to learn how to tie new ones (belmar rig, sliding snafu, etc.) Feel free to show a diagram or explain what rig is on your setup and why you use it. I'll begin with mine. I fish montauk and block island most of the season and current is always a major factor. I like to use a snafu rig where the snafu is connected to a swivel (inside the dropper loop) so there are less tangles on the retrieval or when I am dropping it down. One of the guys I fish with showed me it and it has been my go to since. Let's hear what you got.

10 hours ago, Spigola said:

What's a swivel?  On a tog rig? :headscratch:

LOL Cmon lou, it prevents rig twists on the way up and down!! Read the post !

Fishing blackfish more than 60 years and never used a swivel. Just something else to get hung in the bottom or another point of failure. Ridiculous. :worms:

I don't get the impression that Mr makomike is a rookie. 

After seeing some of the rigs when we were in RI last year it seems to be a regional thing.

I never saw a egg sinker used before that trip. And that boat was not full of hammerheads except for the ones we brought. 

39 mins ago, Snaps said:

Why not a braid to mono knot???

I can't stand braid to mono splices but for this type of stuff it's the only way to do it.  Doubt they will cause hang ups any more than a splice, but who wants to carry them and dig them out.  90% of the geezers blackfishing can't see worth a damn anyway so imagine trying to tie them on a boat in crumby conditions.  

TomT labeled my rig macrame' A surgeons loop at the top and bottom two dropper loops in between connect  two snelled hooks with a surgeons loop to the droppers 

15 mins ago, Fly By Nite said:

I can't stand braid to mono splices but for this type of stuff it's the only way to do it.  Doubt they will cause hang ups any more than a splice, but who wants to carry them and dig them out.  90% of the geezers blackfishing can't see worth a damn anyway so imagine trying to tie them on a boat in crumby conditions.  

Gee thanks Andrew.. you too will be old one day.

I like the braid to mono connection just because it allows me to use a leader that is longer than my rod. I'll say out loud that the fg knot is my current favorite. It is so slim it goes in and out the guides with no issues. Also with how small the guide rings are on some rods it is the only one that works for me.

5 mins ago, mickrazz said:

Gee thanks Andrew.. you too will be old one day.

I bring reading glasses if I need help tying knots. He is a geezer before his time.

Hey guys, ever since I switched to braid, it's been a uni to uni braid to the topshot what will go a few turns on the reel.  It will go through the guides and when you need to retie a rig after busting one off in the bottom, that really does happen when black fishing, you just tie in a quick dropper for your hook(s) and a double overhand for your sinker.

BTW, geezers wear glasses to see with.  

19 mins ago, Spigola said:

Hey Mick, where did these pups come from?

FBN is a good guy Spig, he sometimes forgets that some of the old geezers down here can still kick his ass.:box: