Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gershee

Laguna Madre

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I just posted a trip report about this place.  

I did try some DIY in the afternoons but did not have success.  The flats are massive.  If you had a dead calm morning and saw some tails you could get into them, but just walking looking for cruisers can be tough.  If the weather cooperates you can go for tarpon off the jetties.  Or maybe Jacks in the surf.  It was blowing out front my entire trip so I never really attempted this.

If I was going to only do DIY there i would rent or bring a paddleboard as you need to cover alot of ground and being up higher will make a huge advantage.

I have also tried the upper laguna madre and it has much less wadeable flats.

Overall a better boat place in my opinion

I think your best access from shore would be from South Padre Island.  This gives access to the sand flats from the east side.  The west, mainland side, is muddier and more difficult to access without a boat.

As mightyrime already said, this is a huge area, and you will have problems accessing much of it without a fast boat.  When I fished the area with a guide a few years ago, the standard technique for finding reds was to zig zag at high speed over the area until reds were spotted, then stop and hunt for fishing opportunities.  I had the impression that reds only occupied a very small percentage of the area at any one time.

Ted

I agree with posts above that a boat and guide will greatly increase your chances.  My brother and I fished 2 days with a guide and 1 partial day we did some DIY. There isn't really a good way to spot fish from a car, but there's some access points on South Padre that are easy to get to from town. One is a flat north of the convention center. We parked in the CC parking lot and walked over to the flat. I didn't see any fish there but it's good water. I did see lots of kite boarders. Also, the guys in the Quik Stop Bait Shop told us we better watch out for an alligator known to patrol that flat. I thought they were just messing with us, but google confirmed their warning. Another place we fished was around the mangrove island south of the bridge from Port Isabel. I got two juvi snook and a small barracuda just casting to the edge of mangroves. Something big came through there. I watched it's wake come toward me along the edge of the mangroves and made a few casts to it when it got close but no bite. Maybe it was a bigger snook. With the guide, we saw hundreds of redfish, sheepshead, and specks. We got several nice reds to the boat and had a shot at one big bull. We got an air BnB in Port Isabel. It's a beautiful place to fish.     

Thanks guys.  Larry has just gotten my wife's attention.  While the spotty distribution of redfish would be a challenge to wading, the presence of alligators, no matter how shy, has taken the DIY without boat option off the table.

Hey mightyrime in reading your Laguna report and recent posts I noticed you offered a SA 10wt Tarpon F/I fly line.  Is there any way for me to buy this line from you given I do not yet have priveledges on the BST forum?

On 1/6/2019 at 11:02 AM, gershee said:

Hey mightyrime in reading your Laguna report and recent posts I noticed you offered a SA 10wt Tarpon F/I fly line.  Is there any way for me to buy this line from you given I do not yet have priveledges on the BST forum?

There is no buying, selling, trading, negotiating, etc., outside the Buy/Sell Trade forums. You haven't been here long enough to have BST privileges.  Please consult the rules. DragonAzz is correct.

There are additional rules for buying, selling, trading, etc., in the BST Forums.  Ultimately, you'll need to consult those too.