Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zarpa

Recommendation for red tail catfish

15 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I need a new reel for big red tail catfishes, they are like 65lb heavy and they are very strong, do you guys have any recommendation of which reel would be better for this kinda fishing?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

That fish is on my bucket list, if you are going to the Amazon go big or don't bother going, red tails are not even the biggest potential fish you might catch.

 

I would get a Penn Slammer 8500III spooled with 80lb to 100lb braid or go with a conventional reel with similar line capacity and at minimum about 30lbs max drag (something like an Avet MXL Raptor or Okuma Andro 12). 

Edited by Beastly Backlash
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sunobskt said:

U headedto Brazil?

I live in Brazil bro, but I fly to USA about 4 or 5 times every year, for some business training. 
Penn reels are very expensive around here and u cannot find it very easily, so when I go to US I always try to buy my reels there.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

That fish is on my bucket list, if you are going to the Amazon go big or don't bother going, red tails are not even the biggest potential fish you might catch.

 

I would get a Penn Slammer 8500III spooled with 80lb to 100lb braid or go with a conventional reel with similar line capacity and at minimum about 30lbs max drag (something like an Avet MXL Raptor or Okuma Andro 12). 

I agree with man, in Amazon River you can find Arapaima gigas (Pirarucu), they can reach 440lb, heaviest fish in Amazon River, you also can find Piraíba, the heaviest catfish in Amazon River (about 300 lb).

Unfortunately I'm not going to Amazon, but you can find Red Tail Catfish in another places in Brazil, not as big as in Amazon. Where I live right now I can find Red Tail Catfish from 22lb to 80 lb.

I was thinking in a Penn Battle 2 6000.

What u guys think?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Would you be picking up this gear on one of your US trips?

That's right. I'm flying to US on 12th January.

Edited by Zarpa
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have much experiance with the Penn Battles.

 

For the price it might be worth it to up grade to something a bit heftier like a Penn SSV or Slammer III in the 6000 size.

 

Depending on where you look you can get them for significantly cheaper then the retail prices.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

I don't have much experiance with the Penn Battles.

 

For the price it might be worth it to up grade to something a bit heftier like a Penn SSV or Slammer III in the 6000 size.

 

Depending on where you look you can get them for significantly cheaper then the retail prices.

Just had a look on Penn's webpage and the SSV are on sale, 50% off. 

Penn SSV 6500BLS for 80 bucks.

Guess I'm ordering it and delivery to the hotel I'm going to stay.

 

Thanks a lot man.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do have experience with penn battle 2 6000s. I have mine spooled with 50 pound braid and use it for surf fishing for red drum and sharks. It has never failed me with fish up to 6 feet long. But i have been despooled by a couple huge sharks with it and a sailfish haha. But it handles blacktip and lemon sharks no problem. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/01/2019 at 3:01 PM, AlexAngler said:

I do have experience with penn battle 2 6000s. I have mine spooled with 50 pound braid and use it for surf fishing for red drum and sharks. It has never failed me with fish up to 6 feet long. But i have been despooled by a couple huge sharks with it and a sailfish haha. But it handles blacktip and lemon sharks no problem. 

Thanks Alex.

I have a Battle 2 4000 and I love this reel, however I saw this SSV 6500 for $ 78.00 and I had to buy it hahaha

It's gonna get here on 14th, can't wait to use it.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fish of that size, up to 400#s, I'd be sticking with conventional gear

Or you can pay huge $$ for a spinning reel that can handle it

I can't name a single spinning reel under $500 that would survive that

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sudsy said:

Fish of that size, up to 400#s, I'd be sticking with conventional gear

Or you can pay huge $$ for a spinning reel that can handle it

I can't name a single spinning reel under $500 that would survive that

 

Slammer III's would be the only spinner under $500 I would trust, but otherwise I agree with you (see my first post).

 

I would love to make it down to fish the Amazon for pirarara and piraiba.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.