Kayak fishing on the ocean - near Sebastian

Rate this topic

icarussound

• 1 month later...
On 1/3/2019 at 9:27 AM, icarussound said:

Hi. I finally got some wheels for my outback so I can drive. Been fishing the lagoon but really want to get out nearshore for reef fish. It’s a bit too rough for me these days but I would like to find people close by who fish the salt near Sebastian Inlet to get some experience.

Ill be moving down in a couple of months. I have a perception pilot with a trolling motor.

If you aren't fishing on the edge, you are probably blocking the channel.

40 mins ago, acesover said:

Just remember that if you have a motor on it, you have to register it, but have fun!

Yup. Its been registered in NY.

12 hours ago, acesover said:

It will have to be registered in Florida if you are moving here.

Yes understood that. Just meant NY is same with registration.

3 hours ago, acesover said:

Ok, gotcha, be real careful around the inlet, don't want to read about you in the paper...

I respect all inlets. 

I yak there all the time near the Sebastian Inlet (not fishing from yak, only taking baits out 300-600 yards) and it can be downright  brutal if not forecasted correctly, even in an Ocean Frenzy. That area is known for some massive ground swells that can sneak up and obliterate ANY yak. My best advice would be to follow the fronts, the wind direction, ground swell activity, preferably launching with a favorable wind, which would be westerly with few ground swells or moderate easterly. Monster Hole is also a swell generator, so be mindful of that. Knowing the weather and the swell activity, the shelf layout is your best mate for that area, IMHO.

I know i sound like a old record when i say this... but there are some good kayak Fl forum down here... check one out and you should be able to meet up with some locals that will be a great help to you...Ocean and lagoon are two different monsters when it comes to kayak ... here's a tip for you try launching from the surf with no "Gear" at first before you jump into the surf.. I learn that lesson the hard way LOL...but i was only taking out baits so i didnt lose much... but it was night and i think i pee a little when i hit that water LOL..

like was said already learn to pick your days...and again i hope i'm not breaking any rules.. but check out local yaking forums.. heck ask at the bait shops in your area they might know a few people... good luck and be safe

Semper Fi > Always Faithful
"Everytime History repeats itself, the price of the lesson goes up"