Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Angler #1

Robert [Bob ]McCormack Remembered

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Brother Bob McCormack with his oldest son from Colorado at his side passed on to King Neptune's Realm after succumbing to fighting Alzheimer disease over the past several years . Bob is my brother in law and also was a member here for a number of the early years when SOL began . I believe the name he used was [Broken Reel} Bob served during the Vietnam War as a member of the 101first paratroopers. stationed in Germany where he began to raise a family. Bob had four sons, John, Paul,Ricky, David and one daughter Joyce. His younger brother Frank married my younger sister Irene, who both passed from Cancer few years back.     It is not often that two brothers marry two sisters. Bob was an avid fly fisher and tied and taught fly tying to whomever would listen. He was a long time member of Trout Unlimited. He also spent some time on the ponds and lakes fishing out of his 16 foot split window hull boat for large and small mouth bass. Bob also loved to fish the salt, especially for Blue Fish , Cod and Striped bass from the beaches here in Massachusetts.    South Cape and Race Point were a couple of his favorite locations when he was out searching for his quarry. He would often have his sons along to teach them the joys of what fishing had to offer . I can recall one time he and I sat and planned to take his boat from Green Harbor for weeks over to Race Point Light House. The boat did not have a lot of horses, but we carefully spent time plotting the course across the vast space of Cape Cod Bay and it was determined that we needed to carry spare gas with us in order to make it back . Now understanding that any extra weight may cause us to take our time and still maintain the safety of the trip . We had it all planed down to what we would take with us for gear and bait. The morning we had planed to go I arrive at predawn at Green Harbor , only to see that some where in the conversation he missed telling me that he was also bringing his son John with us. I told him that doing so would cause an undo strain on the motor with all of his extra weight . Bob being a mechanic and could work on engines it was not going to be a problem , so of we went. It took a few hours of traveling before we spotted the Race Point Light off in the distance with only a little strain so far with the extra weight in the boat. We come across a school of feeding Blue fin Tuna [50 to 60 ]pound in size busting all over the place . I exclaim this will be our chance to get a fish as the Football tuna were just going crazy on the bait. Bob tells me that he is not going to stop as we did not have the proper gear to land one[which I agreed] but non the less it was a chance to say at least we had one bust us off and It would be my gear and not his. We did not stop , and continued on towards the Race Light and its deeper water on the back side of the rip line. We tried what we had for gear and bait and was unable to catch a fish or a sniff for that matter. Understanding that  we only had a compass and no fish finder with us made it even harder.  We are working the shore from the Race towards Race Point beach and it was about as bare as the water we were working. Well the motor finally began to act up and it was doing all sorts of coughing and spitting and we barely got started in our day of fishing. It was decided to head back as the wise thing to do. We had to change our compass course as every time the motor acted up and even stopped running for awhile with the wind were being pushed further of course and we had no way of determining how far off course we had drifted when Bob =took care of the engine and got it going again. We thought for sure that we might get back to see land down around Hull , but would not have enough gas to get us home to Green Harbor . Surprise Surprise when we saw land it was not that far away from where we came out of Green Harbor , so all of the over compensating we did on the compass paid off and we got back inside the harbor  put the boat on the trailer . No fish, but a story of a life time that I have related here in sharing what crazy fishermen sometimes do in search of striped bass. Bob is now resting with his Maker and after  services he will receive full  Military Burial here in Bourne . May his soul rest in peace and his family find comfort knowing there Husband , Father Grandfather is now in a better place.  

As we age these experiences of losing love ones become more frequent.

My thoughts, prayers and well-wishes to you during this sad time of your life. Sincere condolences to you and your family.

Thanks guys and I thought I would add something I failed to mention this morning and that Brother Bob also was an accomplished ditch fisherman. having lived lined, jig and plugged along with using bait in various forms/ It was of his last trips fishing the Old Apple tree at the east end where he had to go down low to release a fish of size, only to fall over backwards as he was climbing back up and hitting his head on the stone . He injured his head real bad and soon lost his memory and this became the start of of his Alzheimer. He loved to fish and it made no difference if it was fresh or salt . He will be missed for sure.