Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JRT

Flats Boots options?

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I need some flats boots for coral and sand but I'm not familiar with the current offerings. Does anyone have any experience of the current Simms or Orvis boots or any other options?

Thanks

These are Sims I purchased the end of last year 2018 very comfortable sneaker . I can wear them with stockingfoot waders also . Size up one 8140AFCD-B2EF-42C9-9D07-CA4F75EAB331.jpeg.a284b14e0e579c2ec080e715bcf402bd.jpeg

I would stongly suggest you get a good pair like the Simms Flats Sneakers and avoid the neoprene booty style. They are fine for a limited application but the better ones like the Flats Sneakers will do it all.

8 hours ago, ifsteve said:

I would stongly suggest you get a good pair like the Simms Flats Sneakers and avoid the neoprene booty style. They are fine for a limited application but the better ones like the Flats Sneakers will do it all.

I respectfully disagree.

6 mins ago, Squish said:

I respectfully disagree.

Dive booties do not provide any ankle support. If all you do is short wades on sand or grass then they are fine. But they are not worth a crap for any kind of wading in coral. I have used dive booties on the coral flats in Belize. They can work. But a boot like the Simms Flat Sneaker or Orvis Andros Flats Hiker are much better. I am headed to the Seychelles in April and they insist you not use dive booties.

My point is dive booties are fine for what they are intended for but why not just get the best tool. Never know when CI, Belize, Hawaii, etc may come calling.

If you’re flats fishing from a boat and occasionally going on foot the neoprene will be ok. Flats boots wear out on the sides before the soles give out, mainly from rubbing against marl and mangroves. For all around use rigid boots such as the Simms or similar designs. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

11 hours ago, Hook I said:

These are Sims I purchased the end of last year 2018 very comfortable sneaker . I can wear them with stockingfoot waders also . Size up one 8140AFCD-B2EF-42C9-9D07-CA4F75EAB331.jpeg.a284b14e0e579c2ec080e715bcf402bd.jpeg

Had two pairs, both were without a doubt the most uncomfortable wading boots I have ever worn. The reason I had two pairs was because the first pair fell apart, gave the second pair away. BUT, I would bet they would work well for wading coral, rocks, etc.

Edited by acesover

2 mins ago, acesover said:

Had two pairs, both were without a doubt the most uncomfortable wading boots I have ever worn. The reason I had two pairs was because the first pair fell apart, gave the second pair away. BUT, I would bet they would work well for wading coral, rocks, etc.

That's too bad for you , I wore these last week no problems  =  Tampa Flats , matter of fact , I have the Simms Flats Bootie ( zipper older model 6 /7 years old ) which I will not use anymore pretty heavy . Sometimes not everyone gets the right fit .  

The Flats Bootie is much better for me. Very comfortable and they don't seem heavy to me. But that's just my thinking,  I used to wade the Indian River Lagoon till the water went to crap. Now I stay the hell out of the cesspool.

2 mins ago, acesover said:

The Flats Bootie is much better for me. Very comfortable and they don't seem heavy to me. But that's just my thinking,  I used to wade the Indian River Lagoon till the water went to crap. Now I stay the hell out of the cesspool.

That's not funny water going crap  , My old man used to live up in Jacksonville , hunt / drop  boar w/ a .44  drink Fleischmanns & Ballantine beer w/ the gang . He used to say " the only place to hide your $$ up there is under a bar of soap " .  

i own booth the dive bootie style and the simms flats sneaker.  I tend to use the dive bootie style more because most of the places i have waded were either sand, mud or turtle grass.

But I have been to belieze and other areas where i waded on coral and the sneaker / boot is essential.  It is alot more about side of foot and ankle protection when coral is involved.

bootie will not protect you against coral or anything that can puncture.  Have heard of guys stepping on stingrays most guides require harder soles for this reason.  Just depends where you are fishing

I can't get the old style Sims Flat Sneaker anywhere so I visited a store and tried the 2019 version with the blue decals. Unfortunately I couldn't get a size that fitted, they were either too narrow or too long. They also have a high arch support in them that I found uncomfortable. 

However they also had the Orvis Andros Flats Hiker boot on discount (nearly half the cost of the sims!) and these fitted great felt comfortable and seem well made. They do come up very high to provide good ankle support but time will tell how they perform and how comfortable they are after a week of wading. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 1/3/2019 at 6:31 AM, Squish said:

Take a look at hard soled/sneaker soled scuba booties like Mares Trilastic, Mares Flexa etc.  

I have the 6.5 and 5mm. If you have narrow feet these tend to run wider. Use em for Wading and kayaking. Hard soles, comfortable, durable.  Have walked on rocks, Oyster bars,  broken glass you name it. 

8D064874-861C-4EFF-812F-B865377E6F03.jpeg

mares.jpg

Edited by The Riddler