Totoro

Rod length/power for perch?

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Hey fellas, what length rods and power are you using for perch?

Do you use the same rod whether you're throwing hardbaits, hi-lo rigs, Carolina, bait?

Or do you use different rods pending tactic? Do you carry 2 rods?

I have debating whether to stay with a 8.5 medium action or move up to a 9.5 med-heavy for a one rod set up.

Thoughts?

When I perch fish I'm usually using something in the 9-10ft range that will throw up to an ounce. I only ever use a Carolina rig or small lures so the rod works fine for both. I walk a lot or at least plan that I might have. I never bring more than one rod, I feel like it's not worth the trouble especially when walking around a lot. 

I bring 1 rod on a perch trip thats a 8'6 med hvy salmon steelhead rod. I only bring the tackle for carolina rig grubs, 1 LC110, and a 1/2 kastmaster and that pretty much gets it done for me.

1 rod ... 9'6", Light power, Moderate action, 1/16 - 3/8oz steelhead rod... I fish So. CA so I don't need any more than 3/8oz for a c-rig... And I can flyline a sand crab or ghost shrimp with no weight if necessary...

Butch

Great info fellas!

Trying to fight the inner gear-hoe, and not succombing to buying more gear this year...fingers crossed!

Would like a little more length in the handle so I am gonna look into a 9.5 to 10'.

Keep it coming!

I have two rods that I've using for perch fishing along the San Mateo coast.  A Phenix Trifecta 9' 1/4 to 3/4 oz  and an Okuma Rockaway 10' 1/2 to 2 oz.  I've been using the Rockaway a lot more since it gives me more distance while still being lightweight and sensitive.  The reel seat to rod tip length is only 5" more on the Rockaway, so it has the longer handle that you are looking for.  It's also half the cost at $80.  It will throw up to 1.5 oz just fine, but 2 oz is starting to push it.

On 1/3/2019 at 9:49 AM, Totoro said:

Trying to fight the inner gear-hoe, and not succombing to buying more gear this year...fingers crossed!

Once the hoe is let out, really hard to get her off the streets...I own more lures than I could ever need or swim...well maybe. ha ha. Back to the perch rod. I like having two rods. One for search and destroy 9 ft with fast action 1/2oz-1oz and very sensitive tip, which I feel is key to feeling these fish subtle bites when using grubs and lures. The other rod is a bait-n-wait 10-12 ft med-fast again with a very whippy tip to detect bites but rated 1-3or4oz, this rod would be my bait rod for throwing sand crabs, worms, etc. on Hi-Low rigs or fish finder rigs. This way I can choose to walk with my light rod only to locate fish and if I stumble across good structure holding fish with consistency, can return another day with both rods to work the spot over with bait and lure simultaneously, increasing my chances (note: this will require a two rod stamp on license). One more piece of advise as you fish for perch, I see this time and time again, every year I see a guy fishing a tiny grub hook up a nice striper or halibut while perch fishing, only issue they are either using way to light a leader and snap goes the leader or don't have the reel capacity for fishes run/fight of that size, so consider using as heavier leader than you can get away with 15-20lb test and make sure you have at least 200 yrds 300 even better of quality mainline, braid comes to mind here. Although you might be a little heavy for the perch, the one time you hook into something else, you will be glad you had the extra backing and heavier leader. 

Whoever told you that you need the 2 rod stamp is incorrect. That stamp is for “inland waters” and is not needed for saltwater. Whether from boat or beach. 

5 hours ago, Fishjerk said:

Whoever told you that you need the 2 rod stamp is incorrect. That stamp is for “inland waters” and is not needed for saltwater. Whether from boat or beach. 

I see people quoting this all the time. Its quite amazing how many people believe this for shore fishing at the ocean.

6 hours ago, Fishjerk said:

Lying Linesider as Donald calls him. But, but, but He heard it on the internet, lol

I use a 10' light action Riversider steelhead rod for both perch and striper. Works well for Carolina rig, jerk baits, light jigs and spoons. Nothing heavy, and I'm not a bait guy. Got into some nice ones this morning. 

IMG_20190116_112843_970.jpg

1 hour ago, moocks said:

Lying Linesider as Donald calls him. But, but, but He heard it on the internet, lol

You learn something new every day. With our regulation Bible I am going to have to refer to my CA regulation Lawyer and get back to you on this one. I learned how bad it is out in the Regulated West after visiting some other states in the south. We are talking a page printed vs book like regs. Crazy, Mary J is legal, but fishing is more regulated. Good thing Moocks has a PhD in CA regs, he keeps me straight all the time. 

FYI, taken directly from the CA DFW licensing website regarding the 2nd rod stamp. A warden friend of mine confirmed that the ocean is definitely not an inland water. Lol.  

“Allows a person to fish with two rods or lines in inland waters, except for waters in which only artificial lures or barbless hooks may be used.”