DoorGunner

Time for another countdown.

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

So summer came to an end here in South Jersey and some stores closed their doors. Tourists left town and the boardwalk and more stores and restaurants closed. Then Columbus Day that is the unofficial end of the season and the rest of the seasonal stores closed their doors. The Holidays are past and the town of Wildwood has settled in for a long winters sleep but there is a spot of light at the end of the winter tunnel. In 43 days Sam's Pizza on the Wildwood Boardwalk reopens on weekends. May not sound like much but down here it's a big thing. It's the first sign of spring. The worm has turned. Winter is loosing. So popular that they have seating for 122 customers and if you aren't there by noon on Saturday then you are in a line outside the door waiting. 

43 Days till Sam's Pizza Reopening. 

Sam's Pizza 

6 mins ago, JoeyZac said:

Can't ski this year, so I'm hoping to be there.

And I'll be bringing a bucket, with high hopes.

Pulled the net and trap today. Lots of grass shrimp and still some mud snails plus small minnows and also sheepshead minnows. Will see what I can come up with for Sam's Reopening. 

My girlfriend is on some vacation jihad. Seems we may wind up in the Bahamas or some such nonsense for a week with a couple we are friends with in March. 

She must have sensed my disdain and tonight she threw out “in September we should go to some random place”. 

I suggested Cottageville, which was unceremoniously turned down (thank the lord). 

Would Wildwood be a good place to visit in late September/early October? Maybe rent a boat and some crab pots, etc. 

5 hours ago, PlumFishing said:

My girlfriend is on some vacation jihad. Seems we may wind up in the Bahamas or some such nonsense for a week with a couple we are friends with in March. 

She must have sensed my disdain and tonight she threw out “in September we should go to some random place”. 

I suggested Cottageville, which was unceremoniously turned down (thank the lord). 

Would Wildwood be a good place to visit in late September/early October? Maybe rent a boat and some crab pots, etc. 

Wildwood is actually best in September/October. Just a much better crowd in general, less kids and crappy guests. We go down for the car show and it's great. Can usually get a beach worthy day once or twice in the 3-4 day period. Everything is open and it is crowded but not obnoxious. Place becomes a ghost town during weekdays after that though which some people enjoy. Weekends things remain open until mid October.

Love Sam's too, can't wait.

I agree with Pad Crasher lots to do with less crowds, no beach tags and shorter lines at restaurants. The Cape May Zoo free admission (donation requested), The Ferry has a good deal $20 pp pedestrian round trip to Lewes and free bus ride to the outlets or the town. Wildwood Airport Museum and the WW boardwalk and it will begin the hawk migration at CM Lighthouse and numerous walking trails in the area. 

That's a pretty cool annual tradition for the coming of spring. My only clue for spring is when I'm no longer driving home from work in the dark

18 hours ago, pioneeratsea said:

Sam's opening.......the first REAL day of summer!!!!!!!!!

LOL it's still FROZEN outside!!!!

I usually consider the opening day of MLS the beginning of the weather starting to take a turn for the better, which is early March. Not really out of the clear until opening day of trout though.

On 1/2/2019 at 11:42 PM, JoeyZac said:

Can't ski this year, so I'm hoping to be there.

And I'll be bringing a bucket, with high hopes.

you still running all the tanks?

40 mins ago, robtf said:

you still running all the tanks?

Just have one going over the winter, with a Fluke and some Spot in it, but come Spring, I'm planning on starting the whole circus back up.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I go to wildwood for the jeep invasion, fathers day weekend. It's nice then, I'm not sure if I'll keep going, that seems to be changing.  Pad crasher, how is the car show these days? I used to go 15-20 years ago, and it was a blast.  I stopped when they took away all the fun. I get why they did, but still... It was fun. I started going to oc md  instead, but that was getting of hand i guess and they started cracking down on that too. 

Edited by jamesdart