Samak

Difference between Lamiglass GSB and Super Surf 2G

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I just snapped my 6 year old Lamiglass super surf. This is the old green model. They don’t make the 9 foot 3/8 - 1 1/2 ounce rod any longer in the super surf line but have a comparable GSB model.  Does anyone have experience with both GSB and super surf 2g? Or does anyone know the difference in the graphite material between these two rods.  I have asked Lamiglass and they are not helpful at all. Their literature is very vague. The only clue I have is the GSB is more parabolic and super surf is a faster action.. any other insights would be greatly appreciated..

The G2 SS is faster than the G1 SS.  I personally love the G1 SS.  I would replace that with the GSB, but I prefer moderate action.

I have a Gen 1 SS 9 foot 3/8 - 1 1/2.  I rarely use it, but do like the rod a lot. These days the shortest I seem to fish is 10'.

I have never fished a 9' in the GSB line, but love the GSB series because they just fish fighting machines.  You loose sensitivity but gain a workhorse.  

My  SS 9 foot 3/8 - 1 1/2 is not in the best of shape.  It has been used and the finish around the ferrel has been worn away. If you are in CT, and want an exact replacement you are welcome to take a look at it.  

I believe the old 9' factory GSBs were actually built on GLB (graphite live bait blanks) not GSB (graphite surf & bar) blanks.  Not sure if the new generation GSBs are the same or if this even factors into the difference/decision.

5 hours ago, rbart said:

First gen SSU 10ft 1pc is the best all around rod ive ever owned. 

X3 (because I currently own 3)

I own a few GSBs and have one 2G & the 2Gs is a much faster rod.  A little lighter feeling & better recovery as well IMO.

The 1083s are also in the 3/8s - 1 1/2 wt range.  Not sure if they're the same action as your ssu though...

Edited by DEM Parking Lot