salt deficient

Favorite jig types

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

13 mins ago, reelfire said:

Every where else i fish .75 to 2 max. Inlets with screaming tides need to be heavy.

In a tide such as that how long do you allow for the jig to sweep until you start retrieving and is it a short time window where you will usually get hit? I'm talking heavy bucktails in a ripping inlet current. Something I have not had any success with. But we're talking deep water and very strong currents so there must be fish there right? I mean at least at certain times of year. The conditions seem perfect but I never see anyone fishing the bottom of the water column in this location. It's a very fishy spot but never really seen anything caught there although I have heard rumors of very large fish being caught there way back on a consistent basis. 

I’m gonna say it .. I think you would have a have time bending out the mustad 8/0 in either long or short shank ... I’ve never seen it and we use them in deep fast water and catch large on them .. they pretty tough hook .. 7/0 is questionable and anything smaller for sure will bend no problem ..  but when schoolys and cocktails or even albies i still go for 7/0 and even 6/0 sometimes when they short striking like crazy it makes a big difference 

Posted (edited) · Report post

It's all about how far upstream with how much weigh in order to get it to just tick bottom at the 12:00 position Before that and you risk getting snagged, after that and you won't have much time in the strike zone

How long to let it sweep before it lifts completely out of the zone

How much line to feed out to get it tick bottom again

and how to just touch bottom rather than slam down and snag

That changes from place to place, moon phase to moon phase, tide to tide, weigh of the jig, size of the trailer..............

Sacrifice some jigs. Learn the spot and don't expect it to happen overnight.

I got into inlet/river jigging pretty heavy about 7 or 8 years ago, I'm just now feeling like I'm getting the hang of it and that's fishing with one of the best jigging guys in the state showing me the ropes.

Edited by Sudsy

1 hour ago, Sudsy said:

It's all about how far upstream with how much weigh in order to get it to just tick bottom at the 12:00 position Before that and you risk getting snagged, after that and you won't have much time in the strike zone

How long to let it sweep before it lifts completely out of the zone

How much line to feed out to get it tick bottom again

and how to just touch bottom rather than slam down and snag

That changes from place to place, moon phase to moon phase, tide to tide, weigh of the jig, size of the trailer..............

Sacrifice some jigs. Learn the spot and don't expect it to happen overnight.

I got into inlet/river jigging pretty heavy about 7 or 8 years ago, I'm just now feeling like I'm getting the hang of it and that's fishing with one of the best jigging guys in the state showing me the ropes.

Thanks I'll give that a try. I'm not too bad at fishing bucktails and jigs but when it comes to fishing with such a strong current sweep it's either barely enough to hold bottom and not for long enough or risk getting snagged. Then theres so many variables like which way the water is moving and sudden drop offs, knowing the area well enough to be able to keep in contact with a rapidly changing bottom structure and depth. I prefer conventional reels for stuff like this and might give that a try this year. It gives a better feeling of what's going on that I can't sense as well with a spinner 

1 hour ago, Big Will said:

In a tide such as that how long do you allow for the jig to sweep until you start retrieving and is it a short time window where you will usually get hit? I'm talking heavy bucktails in a ripping inlet current. Something I have not had any success with. But we're talking deep water and very strong currents so there must be fish there right? I mean at least at certain times of year. The conditions seem perfect but I never see anyone fishing the bottom of the water column in this location. It's a very fishy spot but never really seen anything caught there although I have heard rumors of very large fish being caught there way back on a consistent basis. 

There is something special about catching fish in places that are difficult to catch anything at all. It takes years of practice and you'll never read about it anywhere. Every spot has its nuances. You have to learn them and remember stuff. Your a magician with a bag of tricks and  your developed instinct tells you which tricks to use when.  

16 hours ago, reelfire said:

Every where else i fish .75 to 2 max. Inlets with screaming tides need to be heavy.

interesting, I tie 1.5 to trade but never fish under 2oz. 

I'm a big fan of tinman bullet bucktails and I catch with using white twister tail trailer.

However! I found these cheap I like the forward tie and sometimes I want less hair. 

Also saw these eel lookin rubber worms and think the combo will work on spring schoolies and summertime flukes in the surf!

Just need to sharpen up the crappy hooks .....

20190106_180919.jpg

Edited by Buckscorider

Big will,

Those fast and deep inleys, you need weight.  3 or 4 oz.  I stop at 4, but might get a 4 and 5oz mold because I stay at atlantic city often....  40ft where I jig.....   I move to the mouth/ ripline when it's heavy, not the channel.  Partially because it's a bit crazy on some of those jetty around high tide.

I like to hit bottom with too much weight.  Them cast agsin, but reel faster.

For me....  if the inlet is 20ft, I count to 15 if I land in 1 oclock.  If I'm more ahead I count to 10.  I also count when I cast, see how it takes cause you can't see it at night.

If your hitting more, try a quicker time to take the slack, or slow the line before it hits with your hand, or reel it in.

Added bonus, people see you talking to yourself, you get more leg room!  Especially Atlantic City at night.

On 1/5/2019 at 11:13 AM, HugeDinghy said:

interesting, I tie 1.5 to trade but never fish under 2oz. 

When i fished a lot more years ago i used 1, 1.5, and 2's quite often. I fished different stages of the tides.  Eventually you get smarter and nail down your game and only need two maybe 3 weights that will cover all your bases.  I noticed a while back that i have a crap ton of 1 and 1.5 oz jigs and bare bones stock of the weights i use most often.  

So, colors.....

You get white and brown hairs. Brown buck hairs good for anything, can they be dyed to wine color?

Why do you not see bucktails in alot of common colors.  Like for plugs?  Brown/yellow, blue/white?  Just red and white mostly?  Are those bait fish rarely seen low in the water? 

Thinking of 3 molds,  small roundhead to 1oz or so, the 3/4 to 2 hot lips, and a beast 4oz or maybe bullethead.  Could still do medium and heavy in bullethead.  Torn still.  Will be easier to pick 3 than 2.

Edited by salt deficient

The brown hairs to thick and coarse for bucktails ..  can tie up some freshwater flys or add lil brown to salt stuff with it .. but it real stiff , not much waggle in the water 

and personally i think bullets cover everything pretty well 

Edited by Wire For Fire

I'll take a peek at the bullet molds i lower weights...   Was thinking the 3/8 to 1oz roundhead for smallmouth bass in the upper delaware 3/8-1/2, 1/2 to 3/4 for fluke drifting, and 3/4 to 1 for bass bucktails and shad bodies.   Seems those shad bodies do well in the hudson in the spring.  Bullet is definitely a pick for the inlets the one tat has 4oz.  think its 2.5,3,4oz in one mold.   Waiting for an ATV to sell before hitting the button. 

Spent a small fortune this year on fishing, including a used camper for the truck.

I like to make, & twist up my own BTs. Perfect things to do on days like today. I havent had a fish yet open the hook up! Best part is that i can make then as dense or sparse i want. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

55 mins ago, StripersBR said:

I like to make, & twist up my own BTs. Perfect things to do on days like today. I havent had a fish yet open the hook up! Best part is that i can make then as dense or sparse i want. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

They look great . Too pretty even 

i like down and dirty myself , can’t argue with results 1A7A4215-5613-431E-97E4-7332CB0B1ED2.jpeg.31b9c30196577ff6d00e435bd3f7a998.jpeg948430ED-A208-4DB4-B643-466B4DD904E4.jpeg.07926e6d38f581d0f2cfafb3414c4e9f.jpeg

Edited by Wire For Fire