salt deficient

Favorite jig types

Rate this topic

56 posts in this topic

Parachutes, are a proven fluke magnet. If squid are present all the better, but it really dose not matter.

1 hour ago, GoneCoastal said:

Do you fish a locked drag and 50lb braid ? Just curious 

30 pound, and as locked as I can.

17 hours ago, salt deficient said:

Do you guys stay with the recommended jig size, or you use different hooks than advertised.

I have been reading almost all do-it molds fit the 34184 mustad hook in their respective size.

Forget the 34184 Mustad hook - WAY too light for inlet jigging

File out the groove in the mold to fit a heavy forged hook and do the same to fit a brass eye

5c2fa350cc871_BrassWireEyes.jpg.ea26eff05b1dd27713f6b45bb7400118.jpg

I didn't take this photo but it shows a good way to do it

5c2fa32e32474_Greatwaytouseaheavyhook.jpg.8b6cab9c1da68e48c1771149c91e1f58.jpg

Before I had modified molds,I've never bent a mustad black nickle hook fighting any bass or flathead catfish(which fight harder) for that matter in current. I also don't lock my drag down. My go to hook is a 34185 in 7/0 up to 21/2 once bullets. I would use a 8/0 if I had to go bigger I guess. Never had a problem. I'd love to meet the striper that could open that hook. I can't straighten the hook out of a stag without the polmar knot on 30lb braid going first. On a straight pull that's probably over 50lbs of pressure. 

Sudsy,

What hook is that?

I am trying to pick 2 molds, but will likely end up all the common ones......

Also, do you guys use wheel weights?  I was wondering if the zinc ones are good for anything?  I've been casting round balls for my flintlocks, so I got pure lead.  They good for pyramid or bank sinkers?

3 hours ago, GoneCoastal said:

Do you fish a locked drag and 50lb braid ? Just curious 

It's more complex than your braid strength and drag.  Fish have ways to open up hooks.  The 34184 is a staple jig hook.  I've said it before- smaller than 8/0 and take your chances.  

If you're going to fit a bronze eyelet in that mold i would go with a big mustad 34007.  I got at least one 30 in NJ with that hook and eyelet.

16 mins ago, CoffeeHangover said:

When would yoy use tin jigs over lead?  When you want a larger profile with a smaller weight?

Yup, and the special tin sheen

I use tin when pouring jigs to swim over the reefs in Montauk - I want the size, I want the shine, I don't want all the weight.

Posted (edited) · Report post

47 mins ago, salt deficient said:

I know it's a close-up, but that hook looks like your fishing for something that eats striped bass.

And that's the right way to think

There are plenty of hook choices

For top shelf stuff, fishing spots i know very well and can avoid getting constantly hung up in I like Owner Long Shank Hooks #5192 in 6/0, 7/0, and 8/0 (hurts to lose hooks that cost over a buck apiece)

5c2fea4900f03_JigsmypouredOwnerhook.jpg.94c08fa1f8b006e05fa2df24482b17cb.jpg

For spots where I know I'm going to donate a LOT of jigs, I use less expensive hooks

So long as they're forged and strong they'll work. Recently picked up some hooks directly from China to have a go with. In the package they seem like they should work well, as well as any Mustad.

Here's another trick

To keep the rubber from sliding down, tie on a barb

I bend the barbs with a needle nose pliers out of fine S320 welding wire, the stuff we use to make fresh water size lures

Any cheap polyester sewing thread woks for this. Seal it with fly tying cement, Sally Hanson Hard as Nails, Nail polish...............

Be sure to file the tips of the wire smooth, they can be pretty sharp after being cut. I've been sliced pretty good trying to hold the jig with a thrashing fish on the hook.

5c2feaedddc4d_Softplasticteaserhook1.jpg.ec458809d1e42f7b01ef6ea089da714e.jpg5c2feaef68b04_Softplasticteaserhook2.jpg.46fd9ce0212bca2f1a4e93238ff22bea.jpg5c2feaf0cbc03_Softplasticteaserhook3.jpg.b809297ea05b69ee364797eb81e41c00.jpg5c2feaf2479d7_Softplasticteaserhook4.jpg.1828f561b1b5e860e115eda04752c8aa.jpg5c2feaf3ad40f_Softplasticteaserhook5.jpg.456b2e1ff6bf2211c826191731fc3d9b.jpg5c2feaf53805d_Softplasticteaserhook6.jpg.172f99d430bd7e483fe77bca087bfad4.jpg5c2feaf7304b6_Softplasticteaserhook7.jpg.48842444c8c1a478490cc739f0c03004.jpg

Edited by Sudsy

And obviously tie the barbs on after pouring

The hooks above I use to hold Sluggo teasers

7 hours ago, reelfire said:

How do you fish inlets with a 1.5 oz jig and get down?  I ve gone to alot of seminars by people like crazy Al and skinner. They all talk about starting at 3 oz and going up for inlets. In fact i didnt start really catching bigger inlet fish until i used a 3 oz jig crazy al gave me.

I'll have to try this. I think jigging in a strong inlet current or somewhere like ccc is alot different than in other spots. In some spots I fish with 2.5 ounces I can hit bottom and remain in contact for a short period of time but my jig ends up way up current. Im starting to think some spots I fish on certain tides I might need atleast 4 ounces to fish effectively. I mainly fish nj and it's rare to see anyone fishing heavy tackle and big jigs but there are spots where I think it would work 

8 mins ago, Big Will said:

I'll have to try this. I think jigging in a strong inlet current or somewhere like ccc is alot different than in other spots. In some spots I fish with 2.5 ounces I can hit bottom and remain in contact for a short period of time but my jig ends up way up current. Im starting to think some spots I fish on certain tides I might need atleast 4 ounces to fish effectively. I mainly fish nj and it's rare to see anyone fishing heavy tackle and big jigs but there are spots where I think it would work 

Every where else i fish .75 to 2 max. Inlets with screaming tides need to be heavy.