jjdbike

Best summer months for Hali in SoCal surf please?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

I'm a Mid-Atlantic surf fisher grandad w/ my son & his family in Carlsbad CA. 

Last June I got very lucky on a pair of legal hali in the surf on LC's. All things just came together (like I said, very lucky): minus tide at sunup, very overcast, a couple hours past grunion run, found a nice deep bowl w/ some boilers.

Man are they cool, mean, aggressive  and a blast on light tackle!

While we plan our visit to our son & grand kids, I'm trying to re-create my luck for this coming summer.

Can anyone please tell me, is any one summer month more productive for best for chance of hali in the San Diego & Orange County surf, i.e. June, July or August? I'm def focusing on grey light and a grunion run. I already know I'm going to need to spend a good amount of time scouting, looking for structure at low tide and covering lots of ground w/ lots of casts & probably lose a few LC's to reefs, kelp & boilers!

I'm up for the challange, just want to hone in on best time (month).

Thanks in advance!

JD

June-July are usually the best months and check regs for Dates/Season is open. I know for one of the species this year was 1st thru 15th only in some months. Something to try that is different, but gets results, is a drop shot rig for them. 1-2 oz bottom teardrop sinker with a dropper loop tied 8-16 inches above weight then head hooked baitfish imitation like a zoom fluke. Able to fish it slower along the bottom and can work in place with rod wiggles. Hope this helps JD?

California Halibut open all year long. Grunion run March through August. Peak Grunion runs are in April May and June.No harvest or harassing in April/May though Pick your poison.

3 hours ago, moocks said:

California Halibut open all year long. Grunion run March through August. Peak Grunion runs are in April May and June.No harvest or harassing in April/May though Pick your poison.

Thanks!

On 1/2/2019 at 4:11 PM, Linesideslayer said:

June-July are usually the best months and check regs for Dates/Season is open. I know for one of the species this year was 1st thru 15th only in some months. Something to try that is different, but gets results, is a drop shot rig for them. 1-2 oz bottom teardrop sinker with a dropper loop tied 8-16 inches above weight then head hooked baitfish imitation like a zoom fluke. Able to fish it slower along the bottom and can work in place with rod wiggles. Hope this helps JD?

Yes, I have that as my method for areas that look really fishy, e.g. boilers,small deep pockets or cuts and places where I got bit but didn’t hook up.

It seems like a great technique to entice reluctant biters. 

Down side is on doesn’t cover much ground.

I use LC as search pattern.

On 1/2/2019 at 5:13 PM, moocks said:

Based upon what Lineside & Mooks said, lo looks like I have look closely at June & July.

My problem is I have professional & family obligations in those months & August is wide open & fishing isn’t very good in my area in August as we’re in tne summer duldrums. Only game in town in our surf is fluke & snapper blues. Problem is we’re infested w/ cow nose rays.

Thanks Gents!

JD

As I've mentioned to you before, I have caught quite a few halibut, but I, for the most part don't target them.... But a lot do, on that "Other Forum"... You might try posting this question there... Good luck, when ever you come back...

Butch

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 1/5/2019 at 8:07 AM, Midnightpass said:

As I've mentioned to you before, I have caught quite a few halibut, but I, for the most part don't target them.... But a lot do, on that "Other Forum"... You might try posting this question there... Good luck, when ever you come back...

Butch

is there another active striper forum? just looked at ****, and the posts are old.

bwahahaha! I got censored.

Edited by Uncle Stu

2 hours ago, Uncle Stu said:

is there another active striper forum? just looked at ****, and the posts are old.

Stu... You have to be sneaky.....

He was asking about “Southern California Surf Fishing”.  :)

Butch

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 1/16/2019 at 5:58 PM, Uncle Stu said:

On 1/16/2019 at 8:21 PM, Midnightpass said:

Stu... You have to be sneaky.....

He was asking about “Southern California Surf Fishing”.  :)

Butch

You guys are hilarious!

Thanks!

JD

Edited by jjdbike