FishHawk II

Line used for Poppers

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

I also use a full intermediate line for top water flies. The fly goes down and swims barely under the surface and then pops back up when I stop stripping. Lots of very exciting strikes this way. Consider a Scientific Anglers Sonar Titan full intermediate. Depending on your use I would overline by a full weight or two.

Posted (edited) · Report post

While I do like to use an I line on occasion,esp for my biggest poppers, a full floater would be my preference.

What line in particular really doesn't matter at all as long as it's a SW taper,although the  RIO OBS and SA Titan are what I currently have spooled.

If I'm using a floater I like to dress the leader and first 15' of line so that the fly is more responsive instead of being dragged down by the leader or line tip sinking.When the popper gets closer,like around 40' or less you can make it jump off the surface w/ a good snap,a deal closer on hesitant blues.

Edited by slip n slide

The Tarpon taper line is fine in the colder waters here on the Cape.I've fished with him using the line and no issues at all.Bass bug lines with a short head do about the same if you're not comfortable with the tarpon style.Remember Bill he's an "engineer"!!!!! See you Monday afternoon.

I find at night topwater works but you either are doing one of two presentations.  

1. Poppers: Loud sharp pop with 60-90 seconds between pops

2. Sliders: Crawled as slow or slower than a needlefish plug.  You want ti to push a V wake on surface yet move as slow as you possibly can move it keeping the wake forming.  

Both of these require a floating line and I use a mono leader as well to maximize  keeping flies at surface.

I have tried the fast partial diving retrieve others have descriped with a popper and intermediate line.  It worked very well during first light and okay during daylight for me, but I have tried it for three seasons now at night I have found extreme long pause retrieve for a popper produces 5/1 over the faster retrieve with intermediate for me personally.  

I am currently using an OBS 10wt floater to throw my large night topwater flies on a TH OH rod

Crease flys creeped across the surface creats a great V wake. Fish intermediate 90% of the time but have been know to use a floater and fast sinking lead core. The floater is the most fun when popper fishing but if I have my shooting head gear out I've got choices. Heads I've made myself from WF Lines tuned for my casting style.