FishHawk II

Line used for Poppers

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

What line do you use for poppers? The recommendation that I have gotten from a club member is a Tarpon taper. There is one problem with this...I

fish in the colder waters of Cape Cod. Is there a cold water line that is configured like a Tarpon taper?

FishHawk

Posted (edited) · Report post

Woulf titan taper...Any floating shooting head style line would work. Which rod are you using?

Edited by robmedina

Check out the Rio Outbound Long.  Its similar to the Sci Anglers Tarpon Taper and you can use in cold water. You should also see if you can test cast the Wulff Ambush.  It’s an integrated shooting head.  It casts like a missle. 

I use a weight-forward clear Airflo intermediate line for 95% of my fishing. If you start stripping and keep it up throughout the cast you can fish poppers and sliders just fine with an intermediate line.  I just avoid pauses. I seem to get people arguing that intermediate lines will not work with poppers, but I've been doing it for over 25 years with very good results.

40 mins ago, baldwin said:

I use a weight-forward clear Airflo intermediate line for 95% of my fishing. If you start stripping and keep it up throughout the cast you can fish poppers and sliders just fine with an intermediate line.  I just avoid pauses. I seem to get people arguing that intermediate lines will not work with poppers, but I've been doing it for over 25 years with very good results.

I have also had more success using intermediate head with poppers. Popper floats most of the time but around half way popper can dive when line is stripped when inter head has sunk deeper and then during a pause fly pops up again and it is the phase I have had most hits!

Esa

i like the SA grandslam for poppers... and actually its just a great all round floating line.

If you want a line you are only going to use with poppers the Wulff Bermuda short is excellent.

3 hours ago, FishHawk II said:

What line do you use for poppers? The recommendation that I have gotten from a club member is a Tarpon taper. There is one problem with this...I

fish in the colder waters of Cape Cod. Is there a cold water line that is configured like a Tarpon taper?

FishHawk

Tropical lines for northeast applications are fine and many times preferred.

At least for smaller poppers and crease flies, I like the older Sage Bass taper alot (heavily weight forward floater).  Kind of a greenish color.  It's I think 230 grains for an 8w rod.   Sage Equator taper is good - maybe discontinued but it came in two versions - one greenish like the Bass taper, one light salmon color (up to an 11w or 12w?).  Both of these Sage lines do well in cold water as well as warm, perhaps they were made by a major line company for Sage.  I think the Wulff Triangle taper is also great for this application (especially with tip cut back 1' or so) and of course the Outbound Short lines. 

The addition of an Airflo 5 tarpon poly leader to the front of an Outbound Short (30' head) tames the line down a bit for small- to mid-sized poppers.  The tarpon polyleaders have a strong mono core and are not that bad in cold water - they stay limp and straight.  Much better than a heavy mono leader IMO, and are completely clear because they have a mono core.  Add 2-3 feet of mono with a loop connection (Berkeley Big Game in clear in 20lb works great; avoid fluoro with the Tarpon polys as it will cut into the loop).

Posted (edited) · Report post

Correction:  The line I actually have (230g) was called the "Bluegill"   This seemed crazy - 230g is really great on my fast 7wt and 8w rods; who the heck fishes for bluegill with an 8w??  I guess it's all about the size of poppers to be delivered.

There was also a "Smallmouth" line at 290 grains and a "Largemouth" at 330g.  The newer Bass II line goes up to 390g (9+ wt?).   These lines originated to match the Sage Bass fly rods, which were short stiff sons of beaches.   The taper of these is like a Rio Outbound on Steroids, and the overall feel of the line is stiffer and the outer coating is more durable than the Outbounds, IMO.

I've actually tried the "Bluegill" line on a 5wt.  Works great for poppers - can friggin' single hand spey or roll cast them bugs out there purt far!   But as an all around line for big flies on a 7/8 weight this crazy line is a great match.  Used to be discounted heavily online, now $80. Boo!

Edited by Killiefish

21 hours ago, Killiefish said:

Correction:  The line I actually have (230g) was called the "Bluegill"   This seemed crazy - 230g is really great on my fast 7wt and 8w rods; who the heck fishes for bluegill with an 8w??  I guess it's all about the size of poppers to be delivered.

There was also a "Smallmouth" line at 290 grains and a "Largemouth" at 330g.  The newer Bass II line goes up to 390g (9+ wt?).   These lines originated to match the Sage Bass fly rods, which were short stiff sons of beaches.   The taper of these is like a Rio Outbound on Steroids, and the overall feel of the line is stiffer and the outer coating is more durable than the Outbounds, IMO.

I've actually tried the "Bluegill" line on a 5wt.  Works great for poppers - can friggin' single hand spey or roll cast them bugs out there purt far!   But as an all around line for big flies on a 7/8 weight this crazy line is a great match.  Used to be discounted heavily online, now $80. Boo!

Actually know a guy that uses a 9wt.   Handy to have in ponds that are thick with grasses and lilly pads, a little backbone for those all too often snags.

HT

I always wonder if one's preference for rods, reels and lines is a function of a lot of testing and searching - or just what one gets used to.

For a floater my favorites for the cold water in Cape in May and June - is the Wulff Bermuda Triangle Floater (30' head) and the Bermuda Triangle Floater SHORT (25' head).

For your rod I would use a #11 in either line.  The #10 in the 30' head is a little light.  The #11 is a little too heavy.  The #11 SHORT is just right at 385 grains.  If you can get used to the SHORT head I think you will be pleased - especially for big poppers.

Regards,

Herb