Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
outercapetomtk

Florida Jacks

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I’m looking to target Jack Crevalle from the surf down in FL this winter, most likely on the Gulf coast/ near the Intercoastal. I’ve caught tons of small jacks in inlets on metal spoons but want to target some that are hopefully of a slightly bigger class, on topwaters this time. I have a few pencils and a Yo Zuri talking popper for striper fishing here in the NE, but was also recently given a slightly larger Nomad Chugg Norris 7.5”, 4.5oz popper that looks great, but is huge: https://m.tackledirect.com/nomad-design-chug-norris-popper-lures.html

My question for the group is: jacks aren’t picky eaters, but most of the jacks inshore during the winter are on the smaller side (although I’ve heard that the surf can be different). If possible, would you recommend downsizing to the 6”, 3 oz version of the same lure in order to avoid decreasing the number of fish that chase or hit the lure, or do you think that schooling crevalles will be unlikely to care, and the larger plug will give me a shot at any bigger fish that might be around?

Thanks for your input.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have fished the Gulf for12 or more years and in Feb And Mar. I find that most of the fish I got in the Surf were on grass shrimp and sand fleas ?  The water is still cold and you get a lot of cold fronts , so the fish aren’t on top feeding ?  I fished in the Siesta Key area?  Some years I got none ( Jacks ) ?   You get a lot of Sheepheads , Whiting , Pompano and some strays  More in March as the water heats up . 

on the inter coastal I got about the same with some Reds , Snook Mangrove Snapers Black Drum And a lot of Pin Fish ?   Not very many on poppers or swimmers . I love Yu zori lures , but not much luck on them in the winter months down there ?  They hit soft lures off the bottom ?

Mirror Lures are big down there / twitching lures .  Hope this helps 

Edited by ccb

17 hours ago, outercapetomtk said:

Hi All,

I’m looking to target Jack Crevalle from the surf down in FL this winter, most likely on the Gulf coast/ near the Intercoastal. I’ve caught tons of small jacks in inlets on metal spoons but want to target some that are hopefully of a slightly bigger class, on topwaters this time. I have a few pencils and a Yo Zuri talking popper for striper fishing here in the NE, but was also recently given a slightly larger Nomad Chugg Norris 7.5”, 4.5oz popper that looks great, but is huge: https://m.tackledirect.com/nomad-design-chug-norris-popper-lures.html

My question for the group is: jacks aren’t picky eaters, but most of the jacks inshore during the winter are on the smaller side (although I’ve heard that the surf can be different). If possible, would you recommend downsizing to the 6”, 3 oz version of the same lure in order to avoid decreasing the number of fish that chase or hit the lure, or do you think that schooling crevalles will be unlikely to care, and the larger plug will give me a shot at any bigger fish that might be around?

Thanks for your input.

Just replied to you in the main forum....