Aaron Barmmer

Best Van Staal service

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Tailslap said:

You should start selling those.

VanStall should include this tool in the service kit. For years they are telling us how important is to service their reels once or more a year and then selling to us a service kit that does not include a tool to replace the main seal.

16 hours ago, Tailslap said:

You should start selling those.

Theres some of these floating around ot there already, made a few for some guys several years ago......

If there was a big enough interest i might consider a production run of these..

Fwiw, it's not worth my time to do a 2 or 3 off run.........

Look to me like the business end is made of soft enough material that it can “grab” the pinion gear and unthread it (reverse threads)

Sent a reel into Rivers end once. Good service, good communication, fair pricing.

Lou at Fisherman’s Headquarters is the best of all. He spent time with me on the phone offering upgrade advice on my VSX. He also told me to bring my reel in at a specific time and he would service it while I waited. I needed a new sideplate for one of my reels and he had the right part in the right color in stock. Overall, a good guy with very reasonable prices. Highly recommend.

13 hours ago, levari said:

VanStall should include this tool in the service kit. For years they are telling us how important is to service their reels once or more a year and then selling to us a service kit that does not include a tool to replace the main seal.

I have two I  never serviced in 8 years 

27 mins ago, Fly By Nite said:

I have two I  never serviced in 8 years 

There is no reason to service every year or every other year unless dunk your reel often or wish support VanStaal financially. 

3 hours ago, Mark L said:

Bill that looks cool, so it’s like a wrench per say?? Can you explain how that works please. Thanks. 

Sure..... 

I simply capitalize on the gear cutting run-off section marked in red below.  

This area is not part of the gear meshing but it's a full dia all the same,  it's easily accessible once you pull the stack out of the body...... Wrench is made to fit  the dia.

Slide the wrench on, lightly tighten the cap screw and your in business...... doesn't take but a light left handed twist ti loosen it...

20190106_185901.jpg.d71adcb58889a1eee00315cdc5a45351.jpg

Ive done top end services for guys & put wrench flats on that area so they can remove the gear with an open end wrench.... doesn't hurt a thing. 

Hint-Hint VS ! :wave:

Regards... ...

Bill that is a cool tool and a great idea to alter the gear. That section of gear appears to sit under the neck of the body so it doesn’t come in contact with the main gear.