Freshwater Fishing Reports

KnewBee

20 mins ago, Wire For Fire said:

Been slowest winter for me in long long time, cold temps , low water , busy as hell , all killing my fun .. had monster gill beat downs a month or two ago pretty steady but not much love in February 

Feb has Valentines day,  lotta love....

About 3 p.m. sun was out and the mercury was near 50 with 12 -15 MPH winds.   Launched and found some hits about 4.   Clouds, wind and dropping temps drove me away, but not before four bass to near three pounds...   Best was a 2 -14 on the micro spinner bait and light tackle..  Gotta remember to turn the yak and get the sun on the pictures.  

2 - 14.jpg

Got into a few nice trout yesterday at the C&R section:

Fishing%202-28-19%2018%20in%20Rainbow%20

18" Rainbow

Fishing%202-28-19%2019%20in%20Brown%20Tr

19" Brown

Fishing%202-28-19%2021%20in%20Rainbow%20

21" Rainbow

Fishing%202-28-19%2021%20in%20Rainbow%20

21' Rainbow with tape measure

I was only out for about 2 hours and landed a total of 9 trout including these 3. The section is catch & release artificial lures only, so all fish were safely released after a quick pic. The big one, I believe is female, put up a helluva fight! I had her directly downstream in heavy current and she was a heavyweight champ. My Loomis Trout series 5'2" UL rod was bent so far I thought it might break, but it held up well and I am even more impressed with that rod now. Took a minute to revive her after that, but in that icy cold water she regained her strength and swam away. It was nice to get out for awhile and glad I did it yesterday cause winter has come back on us with a vengeance here!

Since I've moved to the coast I've been looking for a farm pond or some good FW bank fishing (yeah I know - I've got plenty of salt water!)  Been watching ya'll through this sub-forum. I've done some research on FW public bank fishing and public pier opportunities around eastern NC.  Tried out a couple today - Neuse River in Kinston and the Trent River in Jones County.  Got skunked on a public pond and on the Neuse at Kinston but hit pay dirt in Jones County - caught a run of Hickory Shad.  Got to try out my new travel rig too (bought a Daiwa Ardito last week and paired it with a Daiwa Fuego 2500LT I bought last year.  Landed Shad in the 13" to 15" range, got caught in the rain but man was it fun to be catching in FW again.  OH

IMG_2703.jpg

IMG_2707.jpg

IMG_2710.jpg

IMG_2711.JPG

Skunked had been my story for the last month (mostly all brackish water fishing), but some early run Shad have been showing up this week.  Went back yesterday - on Friday all they would hit was pink/white spoons and darts, yesterday it was all green/yellow spoons.  Caught four, landed these two (C&R), all gave a nice fight with three doing the tail walking show.  OH

Trent River 3-2-19 (2).jpg

Trent River 3-2-19 (4).jpg