KnewBee

Freshwater Fishing Reports

1,063 posts in this topic

Pops and I did our annual susky trip not long ago.  Slow but steady pick both days.  Couldn’t find a biteon anything swimbaits for the most part.  Very few small fish, which is always fun but perhaps concerning. 

598FE845-9308-4A53-92F0-CA1151186AEB.jpeg

A0283637-2896-476D-A0E1-1FB4632C5BAB.jpeg

0A11EA06-A8F6-4C53-989A-19C9AAAC90C6.jpeg

E8954CEB-9DDA-4CC3-8359-32AFB8D462A2.jpeg

71E2563B-A79B-415D-A8A1-275F3DAF7556.jpeg

18 mins ago, PhillyHillBilly said:

Pops and I did our annual susky trip not long ago.  Slow but steady pick both days.  Couldn’t find a biteon anything swimbaits for the most part.  Very few small fish, which is always fun but perhaps concerning. 

598FE845-9308-4A53-92F0-CA1151186AEB.jpeg

Great smallies!

Read an article recently that smallmouth population in the susky is declining again...hopefully they figure it out.

19 mins ago, buddha162 said:

Great smallies!

Read an article recently that smallmouth population in the susky is declining again...hopefully they figure it out.

Yea - curious that they would lift the moratorium this year when its apparent to anyone who spends time fishing the river that something isn't right.  

I got 2hybirds 1sunfish and marlo 2hybirds,,,:) but now I'm getting ready for the 24hr Rolex race on the stacy 5 headboat in morehead city nc,,,,I'm bringing a 4/0 with 80lb braid on a magnuflex rod and my trout rod with 30lb braid,,,,,:hooked:let's see what happens,,,,,,,:box:

20191108_184512.jpg

20191108_184435.jpg

20191108_211102.jpg

Just got back from 3 day Steelhead fishing trip to Erie. Hooked 11 fish and landed 6. Would've done better but I had the drag set to tight and three of the 1st 4 fish I hooked broke the line. After I got drag set correctly I only had 1 breakoff.

4nfnPK5h.jpg

y0zw7FFh.jpg

YYRYOanh.jpg

5Rj6tzVh.jpg

yzqUcYPh.jpg

This was the biggest one I caught on this trip. It was 25" and weighed 7 1/4 lbs.

u0QY8d9h.jpg

Also caught a bonus brown trout on Thursday afternoon!

56 mins ago, Old Hunter said:

Redneck, those are some beautiful fish you are catching.  I can tell that is a Penn reel, what are the specs? (Size. Line, etc.). Thanks.  OH

Thanks. Yeah its a Penn Conflict II that I got last year on Amazon black Friday sale. Reel is awesome. Lightweight and smooth drag. What gave me issues on this trip was the new rod. On all my previous trips I was using a 9' noodle rod, but I have gotten to where I only use lures when I fish for Steelhead and the noodle does not cast accurately. So I changed to a new St Croix 7 1/2' med-lite spin rod this year. I have the reel spooled with 8lb Fireline with a very small swivel and a 8lb fluro leader. Everything was working great until the 1st fish hit......then my line broke at the leader. Figured the leader was just damaged so tied on a new leader and lure and in short order the same thing happened. Like a dummy I re-rigged and went at it again. Next fish spit the hook. Next fish broke line again. Line was breaking right at knot and it was breaking as soon as fish hit. What I couldn't get thru my head at the time was that the noodle rod I had always used was a shock absorber, the St Croix is stiffer. With no-stretch Fireline, drag on reel set a little too tight, and the fish hitting my lure like a freight train, something had to give.....so the leader broke. After I stopped cussing about the lost fish and gave a little thought, I just loosened up the drag a little and the next fish that hit was landed.