KnewBee

Freshwater Fishing Reports

96 posts in this topic

Fished a lake in the pine barrens of New Jersey for 2 hours today and the fishing was unusually awesome.

I caught my biggest pickerel ever, easily 7 pounds and 7 bass in the 1-2 pound range. The fish were caught

on a slowly retrieved rooster tail and Johnson silver minnow. I call it unusual because I hear folks saying that

bass don't bite in the winter but they were actively feeding.

scales20190216_131728.png.408068200eeefd5580b34900108a9f3b.png

surf.png.add24df5727b2584854aa6a4bcf9e94c.png

Edited by strike master

Got out for an hour tonight on the Delaware. First fishing trip in a couple months, since the end of the Striper season that never happened in NJ. 

Throwing a Mepps Musky spinner, and it stops.  Then what I hooked started moving.  It was pulling drag and it was heavy.  My hearts pounding as I haven’t caught a big musky in years.  I’m thinking the whole time “PLEASE stay on”. Get it near shore and............

it was a foul hooked Carp. :(:(:( 

Gonna give it a shot again tomorrow evening.  Shad should be in soon, cannot wait.  

Went back to the river tonight for a bit before dark.  Was throwing a jig for Walleye,   but foul hooked another big carp.  I think I found a hole they’re wintering over in  lol   Thing was a handful on a light rod. 

4B341011-2385-42F6-9C4A-F5FC9E29EBA3.jpeg

Edited by ridenfish

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 5:16 PM, strike master said:

Fished a lake in the pine barrens of New Jersey for 2 hours today and the fishing was unusually awesome.

I caught my biggest pickerel ever, easily 7 pounds and 7 bass in the 1-2 pound range. The fish were caught

on a slowly retrieved rooster tail and Johnson silver minnow. I call it unusual because I hear folks saying that

bass don't bite in the winter but they were actively feeding.

The ol reliable Silver Minnow!  I really like them and they catch everything except the weeds.

The bass will feed all winter long, just usually like a slow presentation.  Painfully slow is my experience.