KnewBee

Freshwater Fishing Reports

801 posts in this topic

Bennie, I think they used those heavy metal bases to hold up the metal traffic cop silhouettes at school crossings when I was a kid - it's bouncing around deep in the ancient parts of my brain!  OH

Caught a mixed bag this evening.    The Gar hit a top water just at sunset and I thought it was a huge bass.   Six bass but nothing over 2 lb 6.   3-13 Bowfin.  Weather was near perfect except the bluebird skies.  

Bowfin 3 13.jpg

2   6.jpg

Gar.jpg

bluegill.jpg

10 mins ago, KnewBee said:

Caught a mixed bag this evening.    The Gar hit a top water just at sunset and I thought it was a huge bass.   Six bass but nothing over 2 lb 6.   3-13 Bowfin.  Weather was near perfect except the bluebird skies.  

Bowfin 3 13.jpg

2   6.jpg

Gar.jpg

bluegill.jpg

Great trip,,,,one day I got to get a trophy size sun perch and a blowfin,,,,:)

On 7/9/2019 at 10:28 PM, KnewBee said:

Interesting find Bennie.  Skunks are no good.

I me and marlo just started this 2 years ago deferent trophy fish,,,,,,it looks like you're doing it too,,,,,,,,:)

Been a few weeks on the local water = Florida beaches . 7/12 5am- 6:15am it was the Zara Spook right from the get go nada but I knew they were there came back with the Berkley power worm  10” motor oil 3/8 bullet head x wide  4/O Trokar Hook 30 lb floro leader 50lb Braid all from the shoreline It was what they wanted . 5 LM all under 4lbs did not go to the scale as the water is hot and not to stress them on the release 

Wed and Thursday, squeaked by the dreaded skunk with only one dink bass.  Friday evening got a little mud cat to avoid the skunk.   This morning was better and makes me think the morning bite (dog days of summer) may be better than the evening bite?   Still gonna try again this evening though.   Stumbled onto three bass this morning with the best at 3-13.  Surprising Crappie hit the micro spinner on some heavy cover.

mud cat.jpg

crappie.jpg

3   13.jpg

2 Fridays ago, on my local lake, as soon as the sun went down, I paddled around and caught 15 (or so) small bass, and a few panfish, all on my homemade 4" Rapala imitation. I never changed lures because it felt like I was catching them all (not missing opportunities)

Then 2 nights later, on a Sunday night, my buddy and I yakked the 'big bass lake' for 3.5 hrs and caught nothing, threw the kitchen sink, and best I could do was 2 blow-up/misses on the jittrbug.

I also tried an experiment: I always thought that when I catch bluegills and sunnies with tiny rubber worm and bobber, they were attacking strictly by sight. Well, when I was NOT catching at the so called big bass lake, I attempted to get a bluegill for live lining. The bluegills hit the suspended trout worm in the dark at what seemed the same rate as they do in the light.

IMG_2799.JPG

IMG_2796.JPG

IMG_2794.JPG

evening trip saw more action, but poor quality.  Nine bass in a quick hour long trip: biggest was only 12 inches.  Aggressive little buggers! 

monsta.jpg

On 7/8/2019 at 10:12 PM, bennie said:

Got 1 small smallmouth and 1 red eye today,,,,,,:)

20190708_220111.jpg

20190708_220040.jpg

Nice.  Is the redeye a rockbass or is that a different species?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Favorite pond prvided some great sunset action yesterday.  Son #1 landed 5  bass between 1 and 3 lbs and 1 nice crappie.   

I hooked up on 7 fish durig the same time, but landed only one bass about 1.5lbs.  I was messing around with using fluke hooks and circle hooks that were a little too big and my inclination to set the hook ... well, it wasnt working out but i had fun.   Using shiners and fin s softbaits  (my new 2019 fav)

son #2 spent his time catching turtles and baiting the girls hooks, also laudable activities.  

Edited by 55555s