KnewBee

Freshwater Fishing Reports

589 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, EricJ said:

Do they stock browns in the Raritan?

Question should be does the state stock brown trout anywhere in nj

6 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

Question should be does the state stock brown trout anywhere in nj

I see... well, I am not educated on any of the state's trout stocking data/info. It has been decades since I have even looked at a list of places where the fish are stocked.

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

I see... well, I am not educated on any of the state's trout stocking data/info. It has been decades since I have even looked at a list of places where the fish are stocked.

Same here.....

But it was pretty massive news years ago when due to disease and what not they had to kill all the browns at the hatchery...2014 was the last year browns were stocked by the state

Which makes this fish interesting.

Edited by scoobydoo

3 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

2014 was the last year browns were stocked by the state    Which makes this fish interesting.

Yes... now I see your point. Makes the fish very interesting for sure. This fish has seen a few things!

I just returned from my kayak trip to the finger lakes.  Gog my first lake trout (around 25") and my first lake brown trout ( 22" fattie) also got a few smallies, pike, pickeral, bullheads and round gobies. Saw a sturgeon jump but no bites. Fishing was not on fire but had a great time on the water and camping with friends.  Also was in the deepest water i have ever kayaked, i kayaked out to 310' of water.

Calling it a day since daylight is losing caught some crappies on the UL during the after work session, will be back on the water again tomorrow right after making some more $$$$$$$$$$$$

Posted (edited) · Report post

Got 2 hybrids and it's marlo's turn to get the big one,,,,,,but we always have fun talking about when buckwheat got shot or mr Robinson and there was a nice sunset too,,,,,,:)

20190611_220418.jpg

20190611_220312.jpg

Edited by bennie

Heading home caught a couple crappies on today's after work trip using the UL had a blast!! Gonna do it all over again tomorrow, make some $$$ then hit the water afterwards! 

Plug em, sounds like you have a good system in place - good luck.

Hang in there KB, you’re getting closer to fishing time!  OH

I’ve been so busy packing and getting ready to move. I haven’t fished in weeks. Probably won’t have an opportunity until around 4th of July. I’m getting the jitters over here....

Hit my local creek and caught 4 LMB. Missed a few, including a couple that followed the lure all the way up to the bank I suppose then just didn't bite. I was using a floating crank and stopped my retrieve but no good. Typically not a fan of wind with an E in it but it was good. 4 in 3 hours not great but should of been 7. Not a lot of access in this spot and even though the water is public, the spot itself is private off some land at my buddies Dad's house, so I usually take that result all day. Realize why this holographic bluegill lure for Dick's is $3, because the design is iffy. The treble hook can get caught on the lure and turns out when that happens, you won't hook the fish!

Seen something noteworthy though which really is why I am reporting. A snakehead jumped out of the water onto the bridge. Unreal, never seen something like this before. The bridge floods over and I have seen a fish or two swim across but this was not the case yesterday. Snakehead literally jumped out of the water and onto the bridge and snaked across. 

9 hours ago, hurricane1091 said:

Hit my local creek and caught 4 LMB. Missed a few, including a couple that followed the lure all the way up to the bank I suppose then just didn't bite. I was using a floating crank and stopped my retrieve but no good. Typically not a fan of wind with an E in it but it was good. 4 in 3 hours not great but should of been 7. Not a lot of access in this spot and even though the water is public, the spot itself is private off some land at my buddies Dad's house, so I usually take that result all day. Realize why this holographic bluegill lure for Dick's is $3, because the design is iffy. The treble hook can get caught on the lure and turns out when that happens, you won't hook the fish!

Seen something noteworthy though which really is why I am reporting. A snakehead jumped out of the water onto the bridge. Unreal, never seen something like this before. The bridge floods over and I have seen a fish or two swim across but this was not the case yesterday. Snakehead literally jumped out of the water and onto the bridge and snaked across. 

Next time you get followed like that, try following up with a popper or something of the sort. Or an unweighted soft plastic jerkbait like a fluke. 

And snakeheads are amazing! He had somewhere to go and the bridge was his route. They are my favorite fish to target! 

Nice pics Bennie!  Is that a flathead, nice one?!

On a normal week how many days do you fish and at least spend time on the water? It appears to me that you hit it hard? 

Edited by mdeppen
addition