KnewBee

Freshwater Fishing Reports

4,470 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Newport Striper said:

When you're not throwing swimbaits, are you a fan of 6 Sense baits? Noticed you plugged the Vega frog. I've had amazing results on their soft plastics, not so much with their hard baits 

Sorry, not a plug and I don't have enough experience with this frog. I bought it thinking it had a chartreuse belly, but it didn't. It is relatively soft plastic (softer than my spro popping frog) but also a little larger (2.75" I believe). My preference for pond fishing would be something with a smaller profile. I dont have any hardbaits from 6th Sense, so no experience there.

I grew up fishing fresh water in NH, but made the transition to salt about 25 years ago.  Over the past month or so my wife and I have been exploring local ponds… once in a while I find a nice fish, but usually just a few small bass and pickerel.  Here’s a few recent fish on albie snax that I hit up with a black sharpie so they look a bit purple.

CBE5431E-D56A-407B-A044-433A7ECABB92.jpeg

911C18EE-21CC-4B4B-85CC-82FD0EF1DEA9.jpeg

D02A8E79-AAC7-43CF-8424-82F99CACDA95.jpeg

520B506E-86F1-4C15-9FDF-849AAA95EF9B.jpeg

20 hours ago, MAGA said:

Sorry, not a plug and I don't have enough experience with this frog. I bought it thinking it had a chartreuse belly, but it didn't. It is relatively soft plastic (softer than my spro popping frog) but also a little larger (2.75" I believe). My preference for pond fishing would be something with a smaller profile. I dont have any hardbaits from 6th Sense, so no experience there.

@Newport Striper sorry another thing worth mentioning here: The hook points are extremely tight to the body of the frog on the Vega which may cause you to lose a few fish. I've bent mine up off the body after missing two fish last summer. I'm sure you already know this trick but I'll include a picture for everyone anyway.. also take a look at the hook angle on the Scum Frog Launch. 

20220806_095231.jpg

1 hour ago, MAGA said:

@Newport Striper sorry another thing worth mentioning here: The hook points are extremely tight to the body of the frog on the Vega which may cause you to lose a few fish. I've bent mine up off the body after missing two fish last summer. I'm sure you already know this trick but I'll include a picture for everyone anyway.. also take a look at the hook angle on the Scum Frog Launch. 

20220806_095231.jpg

That's a really good tip to give people!!! 

A lot of the old soft body frogs we had available in the 80s had this same issue and we used to lose a ton of fish until I got one hung up one time and the hooks got all bent up getting it unstuck. After that the catch rate went way up and my grandfather pointed out that the hooks dont hug the lure as tight like they did before boogering it up. From that day forth we started tweaking all of our hooks on soft body frogs.

14 dinks will result in Bass thump.   Lost about half as many more.  Little nibblers. Biggest didn't reach the 15 inch mark. 

Was a beautiful morning before the oppressive heat set in about 10 a.m.  

20220806_071605.jpg

20220806_091118.jpg

20220806_100806.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

After doing a bit of reading up over the past few days, I picked up a few new lures and hit the pond this morning.  We had it all to ourselves… all 90 acres without another soul in site.  

I ended up getting 1 dink, 2 around a pound or so and a nicer one.  The 3 better fish were on a new chatter bait with a rubber thing on the back.

We were on the water around 8 and off a few hours later.  It was a great summertime morning.

67BCD8B2-4293-4C63-8396-32C6AC963376.jpeg

Edited by Fitzy

Thinking the same mid teen length bass are following me around...

Note to self:  Don't forget the peddle drive!

20220808_200727.jpg

20220808_191534.jpg

On 8/6/2022 at 11:06 AM, MAGA said:

20220806_095231.jpg

Matt Allen and Tim Little of Tactical Bassin would be proud of you for sharing this tip lol

On 8/9/2022 at 9:31 PM, KnewBee said:

After so many dinks was nice to land a drag puller.  5 lb 2 oz fun

5 lb 2.jpg

Nice catch! Were you fishing a dropshot or shallow? 

5 hours ago, MAGA said:

Nice catch! Were you fishing a dropshot or shallow? 

Very shallow creek.  Max depth 5 feet.  Was throwing to bank and structure.   Got him on a Pop FrogZ tight to Cypress